Is it better that mod blocks are not *too* realistic?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I was just wondering what people felt about this. I kind of like that many of the items that mods make aren't completely realistic looking, or in how they work. While it's interesting to have a mod have a power system based on real electricity, I also like that the items are not completely real. A redstone engine, blocks of stone floating through pipes, redstone energy cells etc.

I actually prefer Glowstone Illuminator or any other 'block light' than the perfectly realistic looking lamps from bibliocraft (?). Not that they aren't impressive, but for me it reminds me of reality, when Im trying to enjoy a fantastic world.

Opinions?

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it would get pretty boring if everything was completely realistic.Although a bit of realism is needed. If you write it down though it kinda points out how unrealistic things can get.
Eg. You can totally destroy stone with a pick you made in a magic crafting table with a tree you just tore down with your bare fists.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I believe it differs depending on what the block is..
On one hand, I agree, Illuminators look much better than Bibliolamps
But on the other, Mekanism Wind Turbines look infinitely better than IC2 wind turbines.

Reactions: PierceSG

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
Most of Minecraft (especially the parts by Notch) seems to be taking something from reality, and then simplifying it until it is very unrealistic but fun/interesting.

The example I think about most is the sapling: give it dirt and light, and it eventually becomes a tree. Unlike reality, this takes a few game-days, generates matter from nothing, and the tree does not continue growing afterwards. Or metal ores: Toss in a furnace (heat source) to get metal, the simplest and most recognizable form being an ingot.

This applies to abstract things, too. IC²'s arbitrary "Energy Unit"s, which behave more like a fluid than like electricity, feel more Minecrafty than UE's real units or RP2's more realistic power mechanics. EU is fairly simple to understand (power goes in, power goes out. Too much power is bad. Too little power causes things to stop), and does not relate to any quantities experienced in real life (the power difference between 1 m² of solar panels and a small nuclear reactor might not create an interesting and realistic tech tree)

However, that doesn't mean a mod trying to be realistic is necessarily worse, just that it won't blend with the existing Minecraft style as easily. Making something more realistic (or less realistic) isn't guaranteed to make it better/worse.

The most important thing is just that each block/item/mechanic/whatever is at the best level of realism to fit in with the rest of its mod, and that each individual mod achieves its goal as a result (whether the goal is to be as realistic as possible, to be fun, to look good, to have a balanced tech tree, or anything else (or any combination).

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
However, that doesn't mean a mod trying to be realistic is necessarily worse, just that it won't blend with the existing Minecraft style as easily.

I think this is really why I like the non-realistic blocks more. A super realistic item just seems out of place.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Realism [in gaming] is somewhat of a dirty argument to try and justify a specific "feature"/idea while ignoring the rest of 'realistic'-
What you're looking for is gameplay not simulation.
Exploding green phallus monsters are totally realistic right? No- but they ARE a lot of fun.
At the end of the day- its what fits well into the existing game design- does it follow minecraft graphics/aesthetics (cough*powersuits/fancy lamps) as well as the overall theme of the game/mod?

Most of Minecraft (especially the parts by Notch) seems to be taking something from reality, and then simplifying it until it is very unrealistic but fun/interesting.
This is an absolutely brilliant way of putting it.

Reactions: RedBoss