Iridium Ore

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

HomieTK

Jul 29, 2019
I need to find it to get a UU generator to get more iridium.
What's the fastest way to get it?

Meldiron

Jul 29, 2019
If you think finding iridium naturaly is slow then just wait til you get your hands on a matterfabricator.
It's even slower!

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Fastest (legit) way is to log out and change your config to re-enable the mass-fabricator ( which is a legit part of IC2 removed by gregtech. ) You can change this in the gregtech config.

Other than that, you get a whole lot of massive quarries and go to bedrock. Keep a close eye on them, and manually dig up the iridium ores with a rockcutter or other silk touch pick so you can macerate it and get 2 ores.

However, by default you will find approx. 1 Iridium ore for every 5 chunks. That's a 16x16 area...and they can spawn at ANY height, so you need to dig it all up. Yea...even with silk touch and 4 quarries you are looking at days.

Don't think it'd get much easier at that point though. It'll cost you 100 million EU and giant mounds of scrap to get 1 UU Matter, and you need 7 of those per Iridium.

Mass Fab is 1 million EU to 1 UU matter, and does not require scrap. Instead, if it is fed scrap it only requires 166,666 EU per UUM.

Considering how much Iridium you need, if you don't want to spend weeks working with a dozen people, you need to re-enable the standard Mass Fab.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Oh god and getting iridium from a matter fabricator's even worse, the thing can suck up to 8200 EU/t (in a single packet! D: ) and is still slower than a one legged turtle(I'm currently running it from 80(!!!) geo-gens in the nether, that's 1600 eu/t and it takes ages. What makes it even worse is that you need 7 UUs for one iridum). Dense ores is the safest bet, while trying to get to the ores before a quarry isn't. Another option is using turtles to do your digging, they can be programmed to only mine the worthless stuff and leave the ores you can silk touch and macerate safe.

People keep tellin' me that I should re-enable mass-fab, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna chicken out at this point :).

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I would argue Dense Ores is the least "safe" bet:) Pick that, and you can expect 6 different poisons, sun lighting you on fire, meteors raining down, and enough decay to destroy your world in minutes. NTM the random explosions and lighting as well. New Mystcraft instabilities are insane, and Dense Ores is the worst cause of instability.

EDIT: Btw, it's actually impossible to have a stable Dense Ores world unless the server has instability disabled. Even if you use the command to turn off instability, any decay that was created initially will still rip apart your world as normal.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
For simply mining, the nether is a good start.

1.) Chunks are only half as large as in the overworld
2.) Most of them consist largely of air
3.) Grey-white iridium ore sticks out like a sore thumb in the uniform red netherrack

P.S.: The matter fabricator takes exactly 10 times as much energy (and thus 10 times as much time) as the regular IC2 mass fab. That value, too, is adjustable in the config file.

alfblack

Jul 29, 2019
I'm doomed. And I knew it. I have found only 2 blocks of Iridium evah and I forgot to silktouch the other one. Grrr.

Have a home server...
Now I am thinking of creating / cheating in a stable dense ore world (with meteors!) To add some danger and logic to the dimension.

Would a creative notebook able to do that? (no other unstability introduced)

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I'm doomed. And I knew it. I have found only 2 blocks of Iridium evah and I forgot to silktouch the other one. Grrr.

Have a home server...
Now I am thinking of creating / cheating in a stable dense ore world (with meteors!) To add some danger and logic to the dimension.

Would a creative notebook able to do that? (no other unstability introduced)

It's hard to say as the system is very randomized. However, I do recall he said dense ores will ALWAYS have at least some instability. Also, you will quickly find that meteors are incredibly destructive and will probably find things not worth the trouble in a hurry.

However, you have lots of possible tweaks that would work just fine with an already running server. You can re-enable the mass fab. You can also change the frequency of the iridium, but this would only happen in new chunks ( such as traveling somewhere you never have in the Overworld, or creating a new mystcraft age. )

Or you can disable the instabilities in the mystcraft config. It actually lets you turn any one off, or all of them.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
The only good way to get legit iridium is with dense ores. What you do is this:

Create a linking book home.
Modify it with the Link Modifier so that you can use it without dropping it.
Create a world with the following attributes:
- single biome (for simplicity)
- pick one biome
- cave world (many instabilities only affect you out the open)
- bright (so you can see underground)
- always day (less mobs)
- spam 10-20 dense ores

Jump in with mining backpacks, diggers backpacks, a mining laser, an ultimate lap pack or 2, an advanced diamond drill, and a pair of brass balls. Mine like hell and try to stay ahead of the corruption, and GTFO with the linking book when you get trapped.

???

Profit

Reactions: alfblack

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
I've created probably 40+ ages worlds, both random and customized and I have not found the Dense Ores symbol. What are the odds of having a world with it so I can put it in my Notebook?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
I've created probably 40+ ages worlds, both random and customized and I have not found the Dense Ores symbol. What are the odds of having a world with it so I can put it in my Notebook?

Terrible enough the developer currently says to spawn in a notebook using creative ( which will have all symbols. )

I tried to get it legit once and passed 150 worlds, with no luck. From what I've heard for Dense Ores standard is in the 200-300 range.

Of course, there are also those lucky ones that get it their very first book.

EDIT: It should also be noted that this is a massive waste on your server. Those ages add up quickly on file size, NTM just storing the books in game.

Also, this is not even how the dev intends for it to be. This is just a temporary method until he can get around to finishing the real mechanics.

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
Terrible enough the developer currently says to spawn in a notebook using creative ( which will have all symbols. )

I tried to get it legit once and passed 150 worlds, with no luck. From what I've heard for Dense Ores standard is in the 200-300 range.

Of course, there are also those lucky ones that get it their very first book.

EDIT: It should also be noted that this is a massive waste on your server. Those ages add up quickly on file size, NTM just storing the books in game.

Also, this is not even how the dev intends for it to be. This is just a temporary method until he can get around to finishing the real mechanics.
Ahh, good to know. I've heard that you can delete ages in the files of the server to save on space. I think I have to go around to do that.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't go exploring, those worlds should be less than a MB apiece. As for book storage, why bother? Keep the useful ones, grab the symbols from the rest and toss 'em in lava.

Edit:

I think my group hit dense ores somewhere between 100 and 120 worlds. Paper is cheap, but many a cow gave her life for that symbol.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
The only good way to get legit iridium is with dense ores. What you do is this:

Create a linking book home.
Modify it with the Link Modifier so that you can use it without dropping it.
Create a world with the following attributes:
- single biome (for simplicity)
- pick one biome
- cave world (many instabilities only affect you out the open)
- bright (so you can see underground)
- always day (less mobs)
- spam 10-20 dense ores

Jump in with mining backpacks, diggers backpacks, a mining laser, an ultimate lap pack or 2, an advanced diamond drill, and a pair of brass balls. Mine like hell and try to stay ahead of the corruption, and GTFO with the linking book when you get trapped.

???

Profit

Actually always night is better- as some mobs will spawn on the surface. Perma day means 100% of spawns underground.
Or use a mushroom island biome.

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I dont play that dedicated in my single player worlds, but I am yet to find more then 1 iridium

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
I got stacks and stacks of books by raiding a wizard's tower in the Twilight Forest. It took some exploring, but it was still a LOT faster than raising cows for book leather. Five and a half stacks of books from one wizard's tower!