Iridium Ore

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if grasslands have rubies, they only spawn in hot biomes. Savannahs, deserts and desert hills definitely have them though. Sapphires I've only found under oceans so far.

MektonZero

Jul 29, 2019
Bees. <shiver>

I tried that early on and barely made it to Diligent. When I got 2 diligent drones, and ran out of meadows, common, and cultivated queens...I stopped, lol.

My next server I'm going to change the beekeeping mode to easy. I don't even want to think about insane.

Bees are actually no trouble on the default. Go on a couple of hunting trips and return with nothing but queens to save space. Even easier in a flat, always noon, plains myst age since you can easily see the orange hives on the minimap.

Once you get a purified strain, it's a simple matter to just keep feeding the output drones into queens you've collected to make as many of a particular breed as you'd like. Simply a handful of generations to turn any queen into anything you already have. Then again I usually run a couple of dozen hives at once and have one of each breed and a couple or three drones in storage for when I need them. Gives me room to try for new breeds and try to cross good traits into my existing lines (like 4x Drones or longer lifespans).

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
Iridium Ore spawns in the Nether. Found one not too far from my first portal, but that was probably a lucky fluke. Anyway, it sticks out like a sore thumb against all that red, and you won't have to check to see if it's silver or not before silk-touching or rock-cutting it.
(confused the heck out of me when I found it...)

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Don't get too used to that. Supposedly that is a bug that has since been fixed in a later GregTech version.

Effervo

Jul 29, 2019
Man, I must have gotten really lucky. I ran a full size quarry that I randomly picked in the overworld down to bedrock. It mined 5 (maybe more? don't remember anymore) iridium ore and I managed to stay ahead of it once and got myself 1 iridium ore block...so that was what...20 chunks and 6 iridium blocks in one quarry? Not bad.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Omicron really has the best suggestion for SSP, which is to config a middle ground. Aside from slightly lowering the EU cost of the Matter Fab, you can slightly increase the gen rate of Iridium. This compromise removes the triviality of the Massfab and keeps the coolness that is GT intact. Enabling the Massfab just throws GT progression out of whack. Also, once you meet the iridium reqs for a fusion reactor (around 35 raw iridium), it becomes a much more energy-efficient process: 2.5 million EU over 250 seconds (after the initial 90M reaction start), using common centrifuged results from lava and clay.

trondaron

Jul 29, 2019
Also, once you meet the iridium reqs for a fusion reactor (around 35 raw iridium), it becomes a much more energy-efficient process: 2.5 million EU over 250 seconds (after the initial 90M reaction start), using common centrifuged results from lava and clay.
I haven't tried the fusion reactor yet. How does this work you shove 90M EU into the fusion reactor and you will be able to continually do the iridium fusion as long as I supply mats and 2.5M EU per a set of mats _without_ having to re-supply the initial 90M? (It stays "hot"?)

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't tried the fusion reactor yet. How does this work you shove 90M EU into the fusion reactor and you will be able to continually do the iridium fusion as long as I supply mats and 2.5M EU per a set of mats _without_ having to re-supply the initial 90M? (It stays "hot"?)
Uhh, it's a power generator, it will work as long as it gets the mats. It will then generate power to get more materials with your machines. Getting the first materials for fusion is the only initial cost you have to make, pretty costly but after that it can easily sustain itself and other machines.

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
Zelfana, have you used one before? (I don't mean that to be rude...)

trondaron, I was messing around with one in Creative Mode, and you are correct that it "stays hot". As soon as it runs out of materials, the fusion stops and you will need to supply the 90 mil EU again (or 40 if using the other two recipes). So throw in a stack each of Lithium and Wolframium, give it 90 mil EU and it will start up. Keep giving it EU (512 EU/t, so an Ultimate Solar would do the trick) and it will cost ~2.5 mil EU per iridium ore.

So if you use one of the power-producing recipes, you need to give it at least 20 or 40 (depends on the recipe) or each cell just to break even, and then each one after that is your net gain. Be sure to have a lot of cells ready before you begin the fusion process!

Reactions: trondaron

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Zelfana, have you used one before? (I don't mean that to be rude...)

trondaron, I was messing around with one in Creative Mode, and you are correct that it "stays hot". As soon as it runs out of materials, the fusion stops and you will need to supply the 90 mil EU again (or 40 if using the other two recipes). So throw in a stack each of Lithium and Wolframium, give it 90 mil EU and it will start up. Keep giving it EU (512 EU/t, so an Ultimate Solar would do the trick) and it will cost ~2.5 mil EU per iridium ore.

So if you use one of the power-producing recipes, you need to give it at least 20 or 40 (depends on the recipe) or each cell just to break even, and then each one after that is your net gain. Be sure to have a lot of cells ready before you begin the fusion process!
Yeah haven't tried too much, sorry if I'm talking out of my ass. The recipes do not show costs or gains of EU within the game.

It's getting changed in the next version, though, so it would produce a lot more and pays itself back sooner.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Keep giving it EU (512 EU/t, so an Ultimate Solar would do the trick) and it will cost ~2.5 mil EU per iridium ore.

Solar is a usable injection, but an Iridium-producing reactor would pair much better with one running on D and T / H-3 cells!

Be sure to have a lot of cells ready before you begin the fusion process!

There's the truth. I've been trying to math out how much to have on hand for an initial 40M reaction on D and T, and how many centrifuges are needed to keep up the Helium-3 supply. Timing the automation and logistics is interesting given the current state of the modpacks ;)

MektonZero

Jul 29, 2019
Man, I must have gotten really lucky. I ran a full size quarry that I randomly picked in the overworld down to bedrock. It mined 5 (maybe more? don't remember anymore) iridium ore and I managed to stay ahead of it once and got myself 1 iridium ore block...so that was what...20 chunks and 6 iridium blocks in one quarry? Not bad.
A 64x64 quarry is 16 chunks; off center you could dig out parts of 25 chunks, but that shouldn't affect your average haul of one iridium per 5 chunks. Average iridium for a full sized quarry is 3.2, so you did pretty well there.

Reactions: Effervo

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I found 3 iridium ore in the Nether with 15 minutes of exploring. Also one in the Overworld near my spawn on a cliffside at Y=70. So I got the required iridium already found but do not have gotten more than 5 diamonds. The Nether seems like a very good place to randomly look for iridium. You don't find much else, though.

Kzxo500

Jul 29, 2019
so can u find this in the nether because ive looked and found none and only found 2 ore in the over world within 200 chunks

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.4.2, yes, you can find it in the Nether. Look for a gray ore as opposed to the typical Netherrack red. In 1.4.5, no, the bug has been fixed.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.4.5 (in addition to the previously mentioned suggestions), you can also obtain Iridium directly by pulverizing (5%) or rock crushing (10%) sheldonite, which also yields 2 platinum dust. 6 platinum dust in the centrifuge = 1 iridium. Likewise, having a mod like Metallurgy installed (which gens platinum) increases your output as well.

Froghandler

Jul 29, 2019
An additional method if you want to use Mystcraft without dense ores:

Cave world (lots of surface area for iridium spawns,) bright world, mushroom island single biome, etc.

Similar to Nether hunting, though more difficult because you need a keen eye to spot iridium ores. If you want to semi-cheat, you can change the iridium ore texture in minecraft->mods->gregtechmod.zip->gregtechmid->textures->terrain.png. The iridium texture is 1st column, 6th row. I put a big ol' magenta blob on the texture so it stands out.