IRC - Poll

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should we have a chat channel?

• Yes

Votes: 38 70.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
I find that #FTB can get really mixed up with people asking for support and chatting about random stuff so should we make a chat channel as well for chat about FTB related stuff so we can keep support in #FTB where all the new users will be going anyway and keep chat seperate in #FTBChat

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Its not really new stuff, we have #FTB where everyone goes for support and chat atm I am just wondering if we should have a separate channel for chat

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Well why not? What are the disadvantages? As for the people using it, I think we would appreciate the separation. If it costs more money for a server or anything, then I'm not sure.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Well why not? What are the disadvantages? As for the people using it, I think we would appreciate the separation. If it costs more money for a server or anything, then I'm not sure.

I guess you dont know what IRC is :3 Its just a separate channel, IRC is free for everyone.
The disadvantage is that it separates people and means less people might be around in each channel
Advantage: You dont get loads of spam going on for support requests when you are trying to have a conversation

mompelz

Jul 29, 2019
I dont think that there are so many poeple writing that we need to seperate the channels. There is already so often silence on the channel. i wo t join another channel to chat with others, already got enough channels open...

Lone Lycan

Jul 29, 2019
you'll always get random chat...
if people are having problems following what help is for them it's because they don't understand IRC... they're probably expecting something more along the lines of one-on-one live help

......maybe the main FTB Crew should gather together a volunteer team... and get some sort of one-on-one live help system set up..... (though, you should still expect people to come to the channel for help as well....)

in short, you'll never get it separated.. that's how IRC just is.... all you can do is add another style of help to reduce the load of help in IRC

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I say yes! Believe it or not, there's a lot of shy people out there that have panic attacks(No joke, panic attacks, this is a very real thing.) or just freeze up (worse than internet explorer) when talking to people they don't know, and this makes TS a problem for them, so I say yes for those incapable of socializing! But there's also people that don't have microphones too.

Reactions: shockwave95

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I think we shouldn't separate those two channels (chat and support). Sometimes if I try to help someone with a bigger problem, I just open an extra channel to talk to him, so that our communication won't mess up the main channel, but normally the one big channel for everything spawns interesting discussions for everyone, based on a question for support. Just look here in the forum. How often will a question in the simple question thread spawn 5 different answers where almost everyone learns of a new aspect to do something. This will fall short with the extra chat channel, since many ppl will go only into the chat channel.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I think we shouldn't separate those two channels (chat and support). Sometimes if I try to help someone with a bigger problem, I just open an extra channel to talk to him, so that our communication won't mess up the main channel, but normally the one big channel for everything spawns interesting discussions for everyone, based on a question for support. Just look here in the forum. How often will a question in the simple question thread spawn 5 different answers where almost everyone learns of a new aspect to do something. This will fall short with the extra chat channel, since many ppl will go only into the chat channel.
Yep any one that has a history with irc does this is common sense, it can get very confusing if 3 or 4 conversations are going on at the same time the.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually thinking making a #FTB-Support and keeping the chatter in #FTB. I don't know why, it just seems to make more sense to me. Anyway, I voted yes.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
I guess you dont know what IRC is :3 Its just a separate channel, IRC is free for everyone.
The disadvantage is that it separates people and means less people might be around in each channel
Advantage: You dont get loads of spam going on for support requests when you are trying to have a conversation

Could we do a website based IRC?

Why this would be a good idea (if it can be done)

1. You can use your username that you signed up to FTB forums with.

2. If somethings needs to be reported it can be done so and warned said user (I wont mind moderating it due, Already do the No Topic Thread that can move 20 pages in the matter of hours)

Support questions can still be done via threads/FTB IRC where modders/others hang out (esper.net)

While still having control over a more minecraft general chat on site.

(Quickly thought out at 6am) ;)

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Could we do a website based IRC?

Why this would be a good idea (if it can be done)

1. You can use your username that you signed up to FTB forums with.

2. If somethings needs to be reported it can be done so and warned said user (I wont mind moderating it due, Already do the No Topic Thread that can move 20 pages in the matter of hours)

Support questions can still be done via threads/FTB IRC where modders/others hang out (esper.net)

While still having control over a more minecraft general chat on site.

(Quickly thought out at 6am) ;)

That could be quite difficult. What if someone had registered a nickname on Esper, and someone with the same username on the forum tried to connect through IRC?

Or did you mean having a completely separate chat system dedicated to FTB? That's something which is the main chat system on the StarMade forums (a different game), it doesn't seem to work as well as IRC does. It gets quite annoying. (If the chat system on here what you meant? http://star-made.org/)

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
That could be quite difficult. What if someone had registered a nickname on Esper, and someone with the same username on the forum tried to connect through IRC?

Or did you mean having a completely separate chat system dedicated to FTB? That's something which is the main chat system on the StarMade forums (a different game), it doesn't seem to work as well as IRC does. It gets quite annoying. (If the chat system on here what you meant? http://star-made.org/)

The website IRC wont touch Esper.net at all. It will only use FTB forum Usernames.

I couldn't see a chat on that website (Tbh didn't look at hard either) :S

It may have to be a custom job due to the way it would work too.

IRC (probably at the bottom of the website)
People sign up to the Forums (so they can use the username/Use the forums)
Moderators have powers to deleted posts from IRC / Give warnings(&reasons) to profile / give timeouts from IRC chat.
etc

egor66

Jul 29, 2019

I think thats more of a shout box, & I for one am not a fan of shout boxes, with irc you at least have to go to the trouble of loading a client & logging in, so most of the time ppl only bother if they have something to say or an interested in a channel, with a shout box its too easy for trolling as its just there!, not that we have a huge problem here with trolls or it does not show up because of the moderators work, ether way a shout box needs a full time mod to control the natives.