IRC - Poll

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should we have a chat channel?

• Yes

Votes: 38 70.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
The website IRC wont touch Esper.net at all. It will only use FTB forum Usernames.

I couldn't see a chat on that website (Tbh didn't look at hard either) :S

It may have to be a custom job due to the way it would work too.

IRC (probably at the bottom of the website)
People sign up to the Forums (so they can use the username/Use the forums)
Moderators have powers to deleted posts from IRC / Give warnings(&reasons) to profile / give timeouts from IRC chat.
etc

You might have to be logged in to see chat on there, I'm not certain.

It seems kind of a waste to have a whole IRC server just for FTB, but that could definitely work. I'd be happy with that, as long as I could still use an IRC client to connect to the chat (I'd need to identify using my forum login, probably).[DOUBLEPOST=1372538188][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think thats more of a shout box, & I for one am not a fan of shout boxes, with irc you at least have to go to the trouble of loading a client & logging in, so most of the time ppl only bother if they have something to say or an interested in a channel, with a shout box its too easy for trolling as its just there!, not that we have a huge problem here with trolls or it does not show up because of the moderators work, ether way a shout box needs a full time mod to control the natives.

Well, it's not exactly hard on here, we have a tab on the menu to virtually instantly connect to the IRC channel. That's almost a shoutbox, but I agree that we don't get many trolls (luckily).

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
You might have to be logged in to see chat on there, I'm not certain.

It seems kind of a waste to have a whole IRC server just for FTB, but that could definitely work. I'd be happy with that, as long as I could still use an IRC client to connect to the chat (I'd need to identify using my forum login, probably).

I don't think it would be a waste at all. I just find that anything FTB has should be on the same website so everyone knows where it's located.

IRC / Support / Forums / Downloads / Etc

Just dislike the thought of IRC / Support being wise where when they could both be here. (Given slow ideas on how Support can be here still)

Reactions: Nerixel

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
The chat feature of our site does already use your username if you are logged in and connects to #FTB on esper

PS. We never actually send people to IRC for support right now, they just find there way there

Reactions: egor66

NiLon

Jul 29, 2019
It would make more sense to keep #FTB as chat channel and have new channel for support if anything. This is because #FTB is high noise channel by default and even if you make new channel it won't get all chatters (especially new people). People with problems that need support can be more easily handled on new low noise channel. People can actually focus on problem and those questions don't get ignored in noise. I think it's naive to wish that chatting will stop at #FTB. Instead it will just split and that's not ideal.