Infinite power set-up theorycraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
I am new to FTB(3 days playing) so please don't make fun of me if i am asking a dumb question :confused:
I am at work right now so I can't test this out for now, but I would also like to run this to the pros before I try to set this up to find that it doesn't work.

My question is:
Can magmatic engine provide enough power to run magma crucible with extra power to charge a typical energy storage unit(batbox, mse, or mfsu).

I am thinking of running a bunch of igneous extruder to make cobblestones
Feed cobblestones to magma crucible
Connect the lava from magma crucible to magmatic engine
And then hooking the magmatic engine to magma crucible and MFSU.

Will the MFSU start charging up?

So it doesn't work, thanks!
Can I make an automatic blaze farm with turtle and brain jar to collect exp and blaze rod, and then connect the rods to magmatic engine.
Does this work instead?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
No and you'll lose power. There two ways to get more energy than you pump in via the magmatic engines. Netherrack supply or even better Blazerods.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
You can't do it with cobblestone, you will lose energy with every cycle. If you use netherrack, it will be energy positive, but of course you will need a steady supply of netherrack.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
You can't do it with cobblestone, you will lose energy with every cycle. If you use netherrack, it will be energy positive, but of course you will need a steady supply of netherrack.
Blaze rods are better, and a steady supply is easy with a T5

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
No worries on being new, we were all there once.

WRT to build, it won't work, I'm afraid. You get (I think) about 18kMJ from magmatic engines per lava bucket, and it takes 20k to melt the cobblestone down (7k for netherrack, but that would defeat the point, wouldn't it).

Simple loops like this tend to be either closed (like this one), or well known (like the blaze rod/powder minium stone one).

There are ways of doing it, though. I think MFRs oil fabricator needs 600kMJ for a bucket of fuel (the amount gained by burning it in combustion engines), but can be powered by a boiler, generating more energy than it uses, for a fairly heavy initial cost.

kennh

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the quick response!
So I guess the best way for infinite energy is to set up an automatic blaze farm with turtle and feed the rods to the magmatic engine?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
No worries on being new, we were all there once.

WRT to build, it won't work, I'm afraid. You get (I think) about 18kMJ from magmatic engines per lava bucket, and it takes 20k to melt the cobblestone down (7k for netherrack, but that would defeat the point, wouldn't it).

Simple loops like this tend to be either closed (like this one), or well known (like the blaze rod/powder minium stone one).

There are ways of doing it, though. I think MFRs oil fabricator needs 600kMJ for a bucket of fuel (the amount gained by burning it in combustion engines), but can be powered by a boiler, generating more energy than it uses, for a fairly heavy initial cost.
Get your extra mileage out of your black gold by Force Engines! Just pump in nice cold ice. (GT Vacuum freezing is a sure fire way to get them)

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Get your extra mileage out of your black gold by Force Engines! Just pump in nice cold ice. (GT Vacuum freezing is a sure fire way to get them)
Did think about that afterwards (might even be worth attempting on my next run through). The ice is tricky without GT, though, as it needs cold bees, which I usually can't be bothered with.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the quick response!
So I guess the best way for infinite energy is to set up an automatic blaze farm with turtle and feed the rods to the magmatic engine?
Shouldn't need the turtle, I've used water traps for blaze rods. Or an MFR grinder, to produce some mob essence too.

Alternatively, if you build up a stockpile of blaze rods (a very large stockpile), you can use them to fuel a boiler instead of magmatics.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Better yep just run the rods to a bank of Generators if you don't want to use engines. Boilers on Blazerods is half as good as charcoals. (which doesn't make sense to me as getting rods is harder to automate in mass loads than farming for charcoals)

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Getting a T5 blaze farm the legit way (i.e. visiting Nether fortresses and filling up the soul shard yourself) is not trivial. You will need a substantially upgraded GraviSuite armor set or a similarly upgraded ModularPowerSuit (MPS) setup. Also note some mod updates are nerfing blaze rods values and not all mods packs/servers including Soul Cages.

More common and earlier-stage infinite-loop setup usually involve an automated tree farm of some sort (Forestry, MFR, Steve's Carts, etc.,.) feeding logs into a furnace of some sort to make charcoal to feed into a Railcraft boiler to make steam to feed into Steam Engines.

MFR tree farms are the cheapest/easiest to setup. There's a Planter, Harvester, and optional Fertilizer. You can burn the wood directly or else go through a much more efficient path ending with steam engines. You can also use the saplings and apples (if you use Oak trees) to make biomass or use in MFR bioreactor.

Forestry MultiFarms require a lot of blocks and figuring out the Carpenter and Thermionic Fabricator can be challenging. Steve's Carts, until the highest-tier wood cutter can be made, have to be maintained every few hours. However, they are perhaps the coolest-looking of the tree auto-farms. They do not, however, seem to chop Forestry trees. I believe Forestry trees with the higher tier fruits and nuts only work in Forestry MultiFarms.

Other infinite-loop energy paths include Thaumcraft 3 farming golems (wheat and other crops can be used for infinite-loop energy systems) and ComputerCraft turtles. The turtles will require either Lua programming skills or else using someone else's Lua code, but there's tons out there already. The farming golems are perhaps the coolest-looking auto-farmers. They're very cute and quite good at what they do.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
that's exactly why I don't get the badly nerfed Blazerods. Why use them when they're 1/2 as good as charcoal in boilers? Despite being harder to get/automate. Nerfs like this is stupid in my opinion.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Getting a T5 blaze farm the legit way (i.e. visiting Nether fortresses and filling up the soul shard yourself) is not trivial. You will need a substantially upgraded GraviSuite armor set or a similarly upgraded ModularPowerSuit (MPS) setup.
If you're careful and watch for skellies, all you need are a few fire resistance potions and a soul stealer sword. I usually do this pretty early for ender chests/tanks, before I have any armor at all.

Better yep just run the rods to a bank of Generators if you don't want to use engines. Boilers on Blazerods is half as good as charcoals. (which doesn't make sense to me as getting rods is harder to automate in mass loads than farming for charcoals)
Blaze rods are half as good, but the sheer number you get from a T5 make up for that. It takes a ton of rods to heat up a boiler (I usually supplement with coal/charcoal here) but one spawner is good for a few boilers if run full time.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
I think you can now only power a single HP full sized boiler then a few rods every now and then. From a T5 spawner churning out 24/7. However at the same speed you can crank out 450 eu/t out of generators (a HP only puts out 350 eu/t on Powerconvertors or 400 eu/t if your using stupid turbines)

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
MFR planter and harvester, then make charcoal (furnace) or planks (sawmill) and burn in a boiler. To infinity and beyond!

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
I think you can now only power a single HP full sized boiler then a few rods every now and then. From a T5 spawner churning out 24/7. However at the same speed you can crank out 450 eu/t out of generators (a HP only puts out 350 eu/t on Powerconvertors or 400 eu/t if your using stupid turbines)
My last boiler setup was 2 36LP's, same running fuel use as 1 36HP, and my spawner only ran a bit less than half of the time (automated on/off with level emitters).

I agree that it can be done more efficiently without boilers, but given infinite fuel I'm more concerned with space and ease of setup than maximum fuel efficiency.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
No and you'll lose power. There two ways to get more energy than you pump in via the magmatic engines. Netherrack supply or even better Blazerods.

Magmatic engines are very good at what they do : converting lava to energy. The trick, therefor, is getting lava. Early game magmatic engines for MJ power or Geothermal Generators for EU power are hard to beat. ex : mine to the bottom, find lava, and pump the lava into pipes up to your base. This should provide enough power to propel you to a lower-maintenance, infinite-loop setup.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
MFR planter and harvester, then make charcoal (furnace) or planks (sawmill) and burn in a boiler. To infinity and beyond!

And is actually worth it. Note on the sawmill however it's been nerfed to 4 planks and a sawdust per log so charcoal is the way to roll.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm not such a big fan of Soul Shards these days, but an MFR Grinder would work excellently well, provided you have a means of setting up a Mob Essence Positive cycle somewhere. The one DW20 used with slimes doesn't work anymore, by the way. That got patched. However, if you've already got something like a Cow Farm setup and going, then it would probably supplement your mob essence.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
If you have the diamonds, three soul shards with each tapped onto a spawner once (will consume spawner) will get you T5.