Infinite Lapis Lazuli

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
after doing a very long facepalm I finally realized something... the whole sheep farm is large, bulky and doesn't go very slow, how could I make it smaller...
well, that's when the facepalm hit my face... why make a sheepfarm if you can just continuously cycle the wool pulverizing, crafting it back into wool with lapis and rinse and repeat.
because there's a 25% chance of getting lapis, and you create blue wool with 1 piece of lapis and 8 wool, so that means for every 1 piece of lapis, I get 2 back. from those 2, I use one to craft more blue wool, and the other is a bonus.

now ofcourse I first had to test if this was actually good profit, and after running the system for a few hours I've come to the conclusion that it is good profit compared to my old design.
so I've gone from this

bAzwqac.png

to this

IKwQjw0.png

the compact design uses 1 aqcueous accumulator with 2 fluiducts, 2 cyclic assembler, 1 pulverizer, 3 itemducts, 2 energy conduits and a creative cell
the accumulator provides water for the assemblers. the pulverizer gets 16 blue wool, the string is send to the left assembler, the lapiz to the right
the left assembler crafts the string into white wool, which is send out the back through itemducts to the right assembler.
the lapis is sent from the pulverizer's back into the same itemducts, which go towards the right assembler. the right assembler crafts 8 white wool with 1 lapis to produce 8 blue wool.
the blue wool is then send from the left to the pulverizer to repeat the process.

here's a backshot from the setup

Yb9MWty.png

and the configuration for both assemblers

nnNalA6.png

2cJ3xjK.png

end result? top row is from the compact setup, the second row from my old design

bts1tTC.png

as you can see, I actually gained more lapis from the compact design then the old bulky design, and it's not only more compact, but also less expensive.
ofcourse I'm not counting the power cost, which ofcourse is more for the compact setup, but that shouldn't really be a problem

since the test I've done a few changes. for one I made the right assembler inventory full of stone, so the lapis can only go in the first slot, and the wool in the second.
I then added a chest for any extra lapis connected through an itemduct, with that itemduct set to dense, so the lapis will only go in the chest if there's no more room in the assembler

w6kl0BD.png

4UjCjsO.png

9hzdS0i.png

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
You need a second minecraft account to AFK at the farm with the whole thaumic tinkerer special armour set so the grass will grow right away.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
after doing a very long facepalm I finally realized something... the whole sheep farm is large, bulky and doesn't go very slow, how could I make it smaller...
well, that's when the facepalm hit my face... why make a sheepfarm if you can just continuously cycle the wool pulverizing, crafting it back into wool with lapis and rinse and repeat.
because there's a 25% chance of getting lapis, and you create blue wool with 1 piece of lapis and 8 wool, so that means for every 1 piece of lapis, I get 2 back. from those 2, I use one to craft more blue wool, and the other is a bonus.

now ofcourse I first had to test if this was actually good profit, and after running the system for a few hours I've come to the conclusion that it is good profit compared to my old design.
so I've gone from this

bAzwqac.png

to this

IKwQjw0.png

the compact design uses 1 aqcueous accumulator with 2 fluiducts, 2 cyclic assembler, 1 pulverizer, 3 itemducts, 2 energy conduits and a creative cell
the accumulator provides water for the assemblers. the pulverizer gets 16 blue wool, the string is send to the left assembler, the lapiz to the right
the left assembler crafts the string into white wool, which is send out the back through itemducts to the right assembler.
the lapis is sent from the pulverizer's back into the same itemducts, which go towards the right assembler. the right assembler crafts 8 white wool with 1 lapis to produce 8 blue wool.
the blue wool is then send from the left to the pulverizer to repeat the process.

here's a backshot from the setup

Yb9MWty.png

and the configuration for both assemblers

nnNalA6.png

2cJ3xjK.png

end result? top row is from the compact setup, the second row from my old design

bts1tTC.png

as you can see, I actually gained more lapis from the compact design then the old bulky design, and it's not only more compact, but also less expensive.
ofcourse I'm not counting the power cost, which ofcourse is more for the compact setup, but that shouldn't really be a problem

since the test I've done a few changes. for one I made the right assembler inventory full of stone, so the lapis can only go in the first slot, and the wool in the second.
I then added a chest for any extra lapis connected through an itemduct, with that itemduct set to dense, so the lapis will only go in the chest if there's no more room in the assembler

w6kl0BD.png

4UjCjsO.png

9hzdS0i.png
CxSuQZJ.gif

I shall return with something....

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I actually feel like a real derp for not having noticed this sooner...
a quick note, each wool/dye pulverizing recipe has a 25% of producing dyes in the process, so this setup should work for any dye
which means you can also use this setup for free bonemeal, ink sacs, green dye and cocoa beans.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
I actually feel like a real derp for not having noticed this sooner...
a quick note, each wool/dye pulverizing recipe has a 25% of producing dyes in the process, so this setup should work for any dye
which means you can also use this setup for free bonemeal, ink sacs, green dye and cocoa beans.
*facepalm*

TrJace

Jul 29, 2019
My sheep are on conveyer belts surrounded by grass on each side going in a circle going through breeding and clipping stations. Babies are taken to a grinder area to grow up for mob essence.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
My sheep are on conveyer belts surrounded by grass on each side going in a circle going through breeding and clipping stations. Babies are taken to a grinder area to grow up for mob essence.
I thought about doing that, but Yusunoha's way is MUCH more efficent

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Unless I am mistaken, I believe the chances for dyes might go down because of that infinite loop thing. Its why I wanted to see if I could make an actual sheep farm instead :)

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Unless I am mistaken, I believe the chances for dyes might go down because of that infinite loop thing. Its why I wanted to see if I could make an actual sheep farm instead :)
no i believe there is no way for it to tell if there is an infinite loop because the wool has the same ID. so you get the same amount

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
no i believe there is no way for it to tell if there is an infinite loop because the wool has the same ID. so you get the same amount

I think Sky meant that the mod developers of Thermal Expansion are lowering the % chance of getting a dye when pulverizing wool

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't it make considerably more sense to get 2 or 3 string per wool than having a smaller chance of getting dyes? They're small enough already, and only really abusable if you're going for the infinite loop (and once again only for bone meal, which yeah is the most useful and rarest item in the game).

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't it make considerably more sense to get 2 or 3 string per wool than having a smaller chance of getting dyes? They're small enough already, and only really abusable if you're going for the infinite loop (and once again only for bone meal, which yeah is the most useful and rarest item in the game).

1 dye dyes 8 wool. 8 wool each has a 25% chance for 1 dye. Therefor on avarage you should be getting 2 dyes per dye used. Hurray lapis farm! Doing 3 string per wool would still not do very much in this case. Yeah, youll need a sheep or 2 to add some new string to the mix. But other then that itll still happely generate dyes!

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
1 dye dyes 8 wool. 8 wool each has a 25% chance for 1 dye. Therefor on avarage you should be getting 2 dyes per dye used. Hurray lapis farm! Doing 3 string per wool would still not do very much in this case. Yeah, youll need a sheep or 2 to add some new string to the mix. But other then that itll still happely generate dyes!
or a spider farm

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Sure, if you are around it every now and then! Or have a mod that keeps that running 24/7 :)

Sheep will be there, wont die and can provide dyed wool to give that extra edge on dye farming.
sheep can despawn if you don't name them