Impregnable bees

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Woo, lapis bees. Big freaking deal. Come back when you have a gold chest filled with species serums. There's a sense of accomplishment and reward to planning and building a breeding machine that works step by step to a goal (having every bee and every trait) that just waiting for rng can never match.

6 canvas bags. 7 if you do dye bees. But it's mostly collecting pokemon than anything actually difficult.

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta catch `em all!

I guess the problem is i have no desire to get every bee. Only the bees that benefit me. Oh, emeralds are nigh impossible to obtain, guess I'll work towards emerald bees. But I have other tasks at hand and the emeralds are only good for extrabees stuff. So I'm going to mine/farm/hunt while i wait

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Timers and gates. Drop items in the top, pull them out the sides. At the time I was using redpower pipes into hoppers, and redpower timers triggering gates to pull out. There are no videos to point people too because I don't learn from videos. I have no idea if such videos exist, and I don't make them.

Furthermore, I don't play the world anymore and while I have the save file I'd have to download Mindcrack - and possibly an older version - to even get it up and running. I consider the world a redpower-lag induced wasteland, and don't want to visit.

And if I come off as demeaning toward Quesenek, well that's intentional. My entire interaction with him has been correcting him, he got defensive and told me I was wrong, I corrected him again and he got demanding. I'm not amenable to that sort of interaction from anybody.

Finally, I don't particularly see automating extra bees machines as necessary or even valuable. I start bee breeding and machine use and walk away, either in game or out. I don't sit and stare watching the machines like a lab rat waiting for a treat. It was more a question to myself of if it was possible, seeing as I discovered that the machines simply blackholed anything redpower-piped into them. I've never bothered to do so since. Were I to do so, it would probably be computercraft centered.
LOL at first I thought you really knew what you were really talking about but, you are simply WRONG. You cannot correct me when you are telling me that it is possible to do the things I asked and not give total proof.
My point still stands whether You think it important or not. There is No way IN ANY CONFIGURATION of pipes that you can tell when to pull out a serum, put a new one in, and refill the old one. DONT talk to me like you know what your talking about when you don't know your ass from first base about what I'm asking. Your posts give off a feeling of You are this bigger person than everyone else, that You know better. Well I hate to break it to you but this is the internet you are no better than anyone else and in this case your WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

BTW your method is old routers can do that better.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
LOL at first I thought you really knew what you were really talking about but, you are simply WRONG. You cannot correct me when you are telling me that it is possible to do the things I asked and not give total proof.

I can correct you. I can also not give a rats left nut if you believe me. This is the case as it stands.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I can correct you. I can also not give a rats left nut if you believe me. This is the case as it stands.
You have not given any corrections besides "It is possible"... WTF is that? Have you never been to school? Have you never worked a day in your life? There is Zero basis for what your saying NONE AT ALL. You seem to think That I'll just believe what you are saying to be fact, however your not saying a single thing for me to make fact.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, emeralds are nigh impossible to obtain, guess I'll work towards emerald bees.
I found the gemmed bees to be a bit of a trap, as (at least under MindCrack?) you only get dust out of them.

Say for example you get yourself a diamond bee. Four full dust piles, placed into the implosion compressor, nets you three (industrial) diamonds. But for the compressor to work on them you need 32 units of industrial TNT!

To break it down, on top of the dust those three diamonds cost you 48 flint, 96 sand, and 120 gunpowder. Rubies require only three quarters of that figure to process, and I assume sapphires and emeralds match them, but frankly for the most part I'd consider it easier to just mine the quantities you need rather then setting up an infinite manufacturing line (assuming you want the actual gems).

At least as far as diamonds go I reckon fossiled bees are a better bet. Three diamonds out of them costs a lot more dust, but you only need 24 flint and 3 obsidian to get the same results - and a regular compressor instead of the implosion one.

My point still stands whether You think it important or not. There is No way IN ANY CONFIGURATION of pipes that you can tell when to pull out a serum, put a new one in, and refill the old one.
Why not just do what he suggested and time how long they've been in use? So long as your power supply is stable all you need to do is time it, and maybe count bees in/out.

Short of ComputerCraft, your system will have no way of magically reading your mind and figuring out that those bees you just threw in there need a humidity serum because you want to run them in a non-native biome. Hence you should always expect some level of manual involvement.

Oh, and really "several days" for heroic bees? How? Even without chunk loaders, that's a few hours idling tops, including setup. I'm really curious as to what took so long. Did you use minimum fertility and longest lifespan or some such?

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I found the gemmed bees to be a bit of a trap, as (at least under MindCrack?) you only get dust out of them.

Say for example you get yourself a diamond bee. Four full dust piles, placed into the implosion compressor, nets you three (industrial) diamonds. But for the compressor to work on them you need 32 units of industrial TNT!

To break it down, on top of the dust those three diamonds cost you 48 flint, 96 sand, and 120 gunpowder. Rubies require only three quarters of that figure to process, and I assume sapphires and emeralds match them, but frankly for the most part I'd consider it easier to just mine the quantities you need rather then setting up an infinite manufacturing line (assuming you want the actual gems).

At least as far as diamonds go I reckon fossiled bees are a better bet. Three diamonds out of them costs a lot more dust, but you only need 24 flint and 3 obsidian to get the same results - and a regular compressor instead of the implosion one.

Why not just do what he suggested and time how long they've been in use? So long as your power supply is stable all you need to do is time it, and maybe count bees in/out.

Short of ComputerCraft, your system will have no way of magically reading your mind and figuring out that those bees you just threw in there need a humidity serum because you want to run them in a non-native biome. Hence you should always expect some level of manual involvement.

Oh, and really "several days" for heroic bees? How? Even without chunk loaders, that's a few hours idling tops, including setup. I'm really curious as to what took so long. Did you use minimum fertility and longest lifespan or some such?
An auto ITNT machine will take care of the TNT needs quite well.

The issue that me and doc were debating about was is there a way to automate serums being added in and taken out when needed. I said there wasn't he said there was.
For the bees you can easily automate them by adding routers and pointing them to the required slot to input and extract the bees.
You could in theory automate the process by adding them in a line having routers extract a bee and put it into another innoculator with the second, third, fourth...etc serum.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019

Blame gregtech for that. If gregtech isn't installed they just drop gems. Although the ruby bees are still worth something since you have to electrolyze ruby dust to get chrome.

But yeah, the gregtech nerf to diamond bees is some real bullshit. Better off just replacing it with a glittering bee and using EE3.

Mostly just bad luck. Like I said, I play about 5 or 6 hours a day, and I came back to check on them every hour or so. I think I got 2 or 3 hybrid heroic drones before I finally got a heroic princess. And I think once i put a hybrid valiant/heroic princess in with a hybrid valiant/heroic drone and ended up with a valiant/valiant princess. Very rage inducing.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

Even after 4:3 conversion to actual gems, Extrabees breeds generate gems faster under GregTech than without.

ThaumicBees is adding gem bees as well - but only for the two vanilla gems - and Extrabees (with GT) is still quite a bit faster output than the Thaumic version for emeralds. Thaumic is faster for diamonds.

For anybody doing bees, TNT is a trivial exercise. There are three separate breeds that generate gunpowder, and only one of them is biome specific about it. Sand and flint is free and easy for everybody, and like I said, you still produce gems faster than the same version of the bees without Gregtech, even with the 4:3 ratio.

Reactions: Quesenek

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Believe it or not flint is my main concern; TNT is indeed trivial.

This is all theoretical, mind you, because I have many stacks of gravel I can convert directly to the stuff and no demand to convert any at all - but it strikes me that if I actually start any serious conversions that I'd run low very quickly. A stack for every four diamonds.

I know I can produce infinite quantities by pulverising cobble, but gravel is only a side effect of doing so - it'd waste a lot of time and power. Any more efficient way?

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I for one don't, but it's nice to have the option. In practice I only run ruby/diamond bees, and I'm happy enough with the dust they give me.

Still, it's nice to have a plan should I ever want the actual gems.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Hold on a min guys- how much do you actually USE the gemstones?

In the most recent world where I was advanced enough in bees for it to be a concern, the only gem I made was ruby - and wanted the dust, not the gem. The only metal was platinum.

But look to GenerickB for examples of why somebody would want gems. Not all reasons are in-game.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Hold on a min guys- how much do you actually USE the gemstones?

Diamonds are always nice to have. Ruby as noted is good for chrome. Ruby and Sapphire are both useful for energy crystals and lapotron crystals respectively. Gemmed tools are perfect for turtles.

Then there's the purely decorative uses.

It's not that you need absolutely huge numbers of them, but it's nice to have a steady source that isn't ridiculously overcomplicated. In my current server I've almost managed to replace all mining operations with bees. I'd still need to mine for quartz, but I can trade stuff like iridium for it. And I get the iridium from power generated by boilers fed by oil from bees. Even after losing most of my storage to the TickThreading bug with AE, I haven't needed to do any mining for a while now.