im Looking For the best server host?

AndersWithTheCat

Jan 23, 2013
Denmark
me and my frined has start a little project, wee are looking for a What support SSD, and have packs for 5gb of ram,

have been looking at creeperhost(NoSSD's),fragnet(quiet costy)

If you know and good hosts what support both 5gb of ram and SSD please say, :D

-Anders

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Whats your budget? I can think of plenty of hosts with SSD's, 5+ gigs of memory, and decent processors.

Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick 2.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Ramnode is great for performance, but they have a limit of 4 gigs of memory and that would be $51.

At a slightly higher cost, there is NodeCraft. 6 gigs of memory for $60/1 gig for $10. Not sure if they use SSD's, but a few people on the subreddit admincraft say they have good performance.

I would suggest OVH, but they have stopped renting servers while they catch up with all the orders.

NFOServers looks good, but they are a bit out of your budget at $67.99 for 5 gigs of memory.

I have personally used RedstoneHost and they are fairly good, but the disk performance is not the greatest. If your player base is under 15 I would suggest this. The maximum amount of memory is 6 gigs for $52.

AndersWithTheCat

Jan 23, 2013
Denmark
Ramnode is great for performance, but they have a limit of 4 gigs of memory and that would be $51.

At a slightly higher cost, there is NodeCraft. 6 gigs of memory for $60/1 gig for $10. Not sure if they use SSD's, but a few people on the subreddit admincraft say they have good performance.

I would suggest OVH, but they have stopped renting servers while they catch up with all the orders.

NFOServers looks good, but they are a bit out of your budget at $67.99 for 5 gigs of memory.

I have personally used RedstoneHost and they are fairly good, but the disk performance is not the greatest. If your player base is under 15 I would suggest this. The maximum amount of memory is 6 gigs for $52.
i think wee are gonna wait for OVH, and see if there up in a week so wee can get 24 gb of ram and just run it with a normal HDD, else i will maybe go with ramnode

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Fragnet pricing is a bit high, the cheapest dedicated server they have with an SSD is $179 a month. The non dedicated game servers are still quite expensive, I don't feel that the extra cost is worth the support. Google exists for a reason, there are countless guides on setting up a server on ______ with version ______ of Java and version ______ of Minecraft.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Right now im just waiting untill next monday, so i can buy the server, and hopfully ovh is up and running sales again,
OVH has a dedicated server with 8GB ram 2TB (raid 2 non SSD, however a SSD doesn't affect in game performance much at all) for $40. You might want to check it out on ovh.com

AndersWithTheCat

Jan 23, 2013
Denmark
OVH has a dedicated server with 8GB ram 2TB (raid 2 non SSD, however a SSD doesn't affect in game performance much at all) for $40. You might want to check it out on ovh.com

I need to wait untill where get it open again for the mSP server with 32 of ram, better pricemore performance for the price

Francis Baster

Jul 29, 2019
I would suggest you look carefully at what CPU you are getting, for FTB it's definitely an important consideration. Most dedicated servers are designed for webhosting and spread their performance across a lot of cores. What Minecraft needs is solid single threaded performance. The KS 2 dedi from OVH has a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570S CPU @ 3.10GHz with good single threaded performance. It's good value for money too, if you can find it in stock.

Here's what Unix bench says about my KS 2.
http://ftb.flamefeed.net/DSbench.html

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using AllGamer.net for some time.

The hardware is up to date. root shell. vpsuser or dedicated HW.
The staff know their schitt and respond promptly.

I pay about 160/month for a 8-core, 16Gb, dedicated server (not vps). SSD and fairly good network presence. It's equivalent to my best HW on their network.

You'll pay about $30-60 for a modest vps account (2-4 cores), 3-4Gb. It's enough to get started with.

I've tried a few other server hosting companies, but came back to AllGamer. No one paid/compensated me to make this post.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Just my opinion but unless you have insane CPU power and zero lag +great support I think about moving, I mean like $20 per GB on minecraft servers and you hardly get any disc space for those prices, again just *my opinion*. However if you like it and it works and it is godly support and performance stick with them.

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
I'd agree with that also.

The title of the thread includes "Best server host". I don't believe there is such a thing. But, I do believe that there's enough of variety in the market that you can find the server hosting style that fits your needs.

Shell or no-shell
Point, click and run or manual setup
etc..

Bearded Suspender Unix types like me prefer shell uber alles.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
I current'y have complete root access on my unmanaged dedicated server and I love it, got it from OVH, 64GB ram 4TB 500mib/s guaranteed unlimited bandwidth, 8 cores for $150 a month, however NO software support so that may be a turn down to some people.

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
Getting a McMyAdmin enterprise license key is worth it. In my accelerated decrepitude I need all the help I can get.

It also allows you to easily provision rights to Moderators/Admins/etc.. when you need to look away from the server for a while.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
I do that as well, however if there was a replacement for mama that has similar features I would switch that minute, mama has ZERO support, linux version doesn't even work for me on a fresh release and mono UGH. But you are right as well.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
I just honesty just having a bad time with most hosts right now.. Acting like I should be one worrying about the CPU not them... A good host should make it easy for you to use their servers not hard and complicated to have to worry about CPU problems for the past 2 weeks. Why can't I just pay and play??

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
I honestly love OVH, they offer a lot of power for cheap. I have a few lag issues and problems but I have a insane amount of things loaded and world size so I can't compare very well. (200GB+ world size growing 3GB a day and 30000+chunks always loaded) But I think you might wan to try OVH if you haven't already.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I just honesty just having a bad time with most hosts right now.. Acting like I should be one worrying about the CPU not them... A good host should make it easy for you to use their servers not hard and complicated to have to worry about CPU problems for the past 2 weeks. Why can't I just pay and play??

The problem is that hosts offer a pay and play type option, but its not designed for Minecraft. Even well known hosts like Creeperhost pretend that offering more cores will fix everything. Minecraft is limited in how many threads it can use. Tick Threading was amazing because it fixed the flaws in Minecraft, and with the 2 new people Mojang hired I am hoping to see big improvements in the next few versions.

Its not a magical fix all solution, but you could probably get a lot better performance by turning a 20 slot server into a bunch of 10 or 5 slot servers if you have extra CPU cores.

Basically the ideal Minecraft server has the following specs.

16 gigs of memory or more.
A processor that's no older than 3 years and has 4 cores or more.
1 SSD or 4 of them in Raid 10 for extra speed and redundancy.
100mbps connection or higher, that leaves 2 - 4 mbps per player slot.
A UPS, something that has enough storage to run the server for an hour.

Wonton_Freak

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, I have two fragnet servers (one survival, and one creative) and one fragnet Battlefield 4 server. It might be true that they're a bit more expensive, but their amazing support and nice control panel makes up for that by a long shot..

Have problem with installing a mod or something? Just open a ticket with the file attached, state your issue and you'll have a fix/reply within 15-30 minutes (that's the longest I've waited)

The servers are also extremely fast, I've never had lag on them (except once when I tried the max flight speed on the Powersuit and flew 12k blocks in 2 minutes)
so basicly, they're lag free unless you go in for it (I only have a 2,5gb ram server because I don't need more)

Fragnet is my #1 choice of server providers (had 2 others before)
I've not checked the prices up with other providers but the quality of fragnet is just fantastic.

Regards
¨~ Chris

Edit: Also forgot to mention that if you want a mod installed on the server, like FTB or tekkit etc. You can just press a button in the control panel, select the desired version of FTB and it'll be installed automaticly within 1-2 minutes. The config files may also be edited in browser via their file manager section of the server conrol.