If you didn't have solars...

cardshark1234

Jul 29, 2019
How would you power your base? I'm looking to change to a power that isn't solar, so ftb is more entertaining, and i was wondering what you guys would do.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
If I didn't have solars...
I'd be completely unaffected. Last time I touched IC2 solars was back in 1.2.5, I think. RP2 solars, on the other hand, are pretty much unavoidable.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
sc birch farm + golem wheat farm = infinite biomass and charcoal, enough for like 10 boilers after heatup.

Peter_Gunnn

Jul 29, 2019
If I didn't have solars...
I'd be completely unaffected. Last time I touched IC2 solars was back in 1.2.5, I think. RP2 solars, on the other hand, are pretty much unavoidable.

redpower doesn't produce big power like the other mods. i had 9 rp turbines, with transformers, unobstructed at about lvl 190 - it was good for about 14 mj/t.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Alumentum... but I haven't found a way to automate it's creation...

(Well, first, how do you get power from Alumentum?)

As to automating its creation, use Pipes/Transposers/the like to dump the materials into the Crucible. There's some Turtle which can activate Crucibles (aided with a wand, of course.)

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I've never used Solar's, but I also haven't been playing FTB long. Right now I run off of Geothermal Generators...manually loaded with lava cells. Still trying to figure out what I want my 'permanent' energy setup to be

Reactions: MagusUnion

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019

As to automating its creation, use Pipes/Transposers/the like to dump the materials into the Crucible. There's some Turtle which can activate Crucibles (aided with a wand, of course.)

You... burn it?

And of course there's a turtle for that.. I really don't want to have to learn Lua just to use it, however.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Steam Boilers are great fun and have this monolithic feel.

For EU generation I generally start with a tower of 16 water mills (4 layers of 4 with power line down the middle and water on all 3 remaining sides plus top/bottom) and 8 wind mills (again 4 per level with 2 blocks of air below and 4 above for max unobstructed power). I stack these two mill types vertically around a central power conduit and down into an MFSU for a large buffer. Pretty easy early game power that doesn't care about time of day.

Reactions: MagusUnion

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'm fond of thermal gens and diesel gens. i only made solars because i'd reached the level in gregtech that i could do so.

I mainly hate solars now as they aren't fun for me

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I never use Solar Panels except for small, remote projects. Either Hydro (bucket-brigade until that got nerfed, then water towers) or Geothermal for me. Some experimentation into Nuclear technology, of course, but I've never used that as my primary fuel source.

Currently, I'm trying to do without IC2 entirely on this latest run, just to see if I can. I've got the latest version of MPS for the tools and TE for the ore processing. Since I play SSP, I have no need for MFFS (by the time,I can even get that started, I've already got my bases cleared and established), and most of the other addons are internally referenced (i.e. they only affect or modify a part of what IC2 does, or adds additional things to IC2, but doesn't really impact anything outside of the 'IC2 Cluster').

So far, other than not needing to find a grove of rubber trees immediately, there hasn't been a lot of change to the early game.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019

They wave the wand, you hear the sound, the water disappears but nothing drops.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Going Nuclear! Since I buffered them to 20x output on my server so Solar and other renewable power are not effective per meter and so the effort and resources are well worth it. As well as the risks that why I buffered them. They'll be best power until I get fusion power but going to wait for the change to 1.5 MC since it being redone.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Fuel with diesel generators.. or if you want more energy, fuel with power converter and steam boiler

Zerren

Jul 29, 2019
Nuclear buffed to double, back what they originally were before the reactor changes.
I don't use solars, ever. Just hot, steamy fission reactors.
Add gregtech plutonium and thorium for best results.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
The only time I rely on solar energy is in my creative Testworld, when I need some IC2 power quickly and without any kind of setup. In my SSP world though.. well, my steamboilers and I could cope with the loss. ;)

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
The only time I rely on solar energy is in my creative Testworld, when I need some IC2 power quickly and without any kind of setup. In my SSP world though.. well, my steamboilers and I could cope with the loss. ;)
And if you have the Advanced Solars mod installed, then that adds a Singularity Generator (not sure if it's called that, but shh). It provides infinite power at any level you tell it to. Obviously it's a map-maker's tool, but it's good for creative testing as well, I'd think.