If you could con a Dev for one thing....

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'd con CovertJaguar to change boilers so they're not wildly out of balance with the rest of the MJ universe.

Gasp. Yes. I said it. Boilers: their efficiency curve is too sharp. And their overall outputs in real server play? Too good. Maybe back before everyone chunkloaded everything that math made sense. But now, boilers totally eclipse every other form of MJ production. Heck, they eclipse most forms of EU production for generating EU, even if you use the turbines!

So everyone else is struggling to figure out how to work around boilers, and thus end up in situations where to account for boilers builds must demand boilers. It's a sad state of affairs.

And it takes a lot for me to intimate something is "OP". I think the math of boilers might make them too good right now. Especially given how relatively inexpensive fuels are to produce and harvest these days.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I'd con CovertJaguar to change boilers so they're not wildly out of balance with the rest of the MJ universe.

Gasp. Yes. I said it. Boilers: their efficiency curve is too sharp. And their overall outputs in real server play? Too good. Maybe back before everyone chunkloaded everything that math made sense. But now, boilers totally eclipse every other form of MJ production. Heck, they eclipse most forms of EU production for generating EU, even if you use the turbines!

So everyone else is struggling to figure out how to work around boilers, and thus end up in situations where to account for boilers builds must demand boilers. It's a sad state of affairs.

And it takes a lot for me to intimate something is "OP". I think the math of boilers might make them too good right now. Especially given how relatively inexpensive fuels are to produce and harvest these days.
Its clear boilers need a nerf, but how? Reduce their efficiency? Then they'd be pointless: remember even combustion engines have an efficiency 2/3 as good as a 36hp boiler. Make is much less and everyone will start using them instead. Increasing the fuel needed for the heatup phase doesn't help either. Then you're just delaying the OPness.

DarkWasp

Jul 29, 2019
I think I would con Hurricaaane into creating an environmental detection in MAtmos for number of running machines in an area. If possible, this would allow for a fairly low-lag way of alleviating that dead silence that we all hear in FTB while standing in a room with more than 30 running factory machines.

I've actually tried this by enabling IC2 sounds and modifying it's sound files (combining and boosting IC2's sounds in FL Studio.) It worked wonders for sounding much more like a factory but it was nowhere near perfect. It omitted other mods (like GT, TE .etc), clipped and repeated and generated a lot of lag. A system like MAtmos that plays a more continuous sound would be much more ideal.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
My base is currently noisy as hell... Heat Generators, Windmills, Hydrogen Generators, NOIIIIIIIIIIIIIISY!!!

And I love it! :D

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Its clear boilers need a nerf, but how? Reduce their efficiency? Then they'd be pointless: remember even combustion engines have an efficiency 2/3 as good as a 36hp boiler. Make is much less and everyone will start using them instead. Increasing the fuel needed for the heatup phase doesn't help either. Then you're just delaying the OPness.

My first move would be to reduce the MJ/t of all generators while keeping their overall output preserved. This would mean that boilers go from sorta time-efficient to crazy-time-efficient (binary power provided per time), but would no longer also be so high up on the "peak output" solutions. Because right now boilers are solidly in the third spot in Ultimate for "most power from a single block" and given they are "most efficient per unit space" it gets sorta absurd.

DarkWasp

Jul 29, 2019
My base is currently noisy as hell... Heat Generators, Windmills, Hydrogen Generators, NOIIIIIIIIIIIIIISY!!!

And I love it! :D

Universal Electricity I'm guessing? I so need to try that mod.

I've known that for some time now though, but we've been running Ultimate and MindCrack.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you

How about boilers witha really complex upgrade system, with all different fireboxes, turbines, casings, etc. Or even more ways of making MJ?
Maybe to decrease the curve, maybe even to rival or beat it?

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
now for something a bit more meta: per world configs and forge managed ID pool, plus option to disable mods per world

no more needing to restart minecraft to play with different configs or different modpacks

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Boiler are going to be hard to fix. Making them more complex really is not the answer as one could just opt to use more of the lower teir systems if you make the upgrade to complex. It is what some people do with solar right now just make huge solar flowers instead of making the higher tier solars.

I think the most simple fix is one they already use. Replaceable parts. Boilers just need a part that wares down like the turbine blade (like the steam turbines have). Of the parts currently in the boiler you could make the heat box ware out and slowly become inefficient until it breaks or you have to replace it. You can now balance of cost to MJ be playing with how long the heaters last.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Boiler are going to be hard to fix. Making them more complex really is not the answer as one could just opt to use more of the lower teir systems if you make the upgrade to complex. It is what some people do with solar right now just make huge solar flowers instead of making the higher tier solars.

I think the most simple fix is one they already use. Replaceable parts. Boilers just need a part that wares down like the turbine blade (like the steam turbines have). Of the parts currently in the boiler you could make the heat box ware out and slowly become inefficient until it breaks or you have to replace it. You can now balance of cost to MJ be playing with how long the heaters last.
This will make many people switch instantly back to combustion engines, because those are maintenance free. Any stuff that cannot be automated 100% is a problem. Just look at the problems many, many people have with the new Forestry farms, just for their need for non-renewable fertilizer.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
Why in all of Minecraft has this not been suggested yet! Finally implement a method of preventing Buildcraft pipes from connecting to one another. It's rather infuriating to have to space everything by three blocks when ever Buildcraft pipes are called for. It's even more absurd when you consider that there are other developers with working systems on the damned Forgecraft server.

I can paint wires, and use covers to separate pneumatic tubes, is there a good reason behind our inability to paint Buildcraft pipes? Will the laws of inertia cease to function if a practical feature is implemented within an older mod?

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Cobblestone and smoothstone pipes don't connect to each other...

Sent from boobs (because why not?)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
BC has introduce pipe caps, which are small plugs which will block two pipes connecting. They look like a gate, but only appear on the one face of the pipe. Putting them onto the pipe though seems to be quite awkward based on DW20's experiences.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
there are already facades

Facades don't block the pipes from connecting to eachother. They just act like the hollow RP2 covers.

Also: It's not hard to place plugs. Direwolf20 just hasn't gotten used to how you install things onto BC pipes. It's really easy, actually.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
BC has introduce pipe caps, which are small plugs which will block two pipes connecting. They look like a gate, but only appear on the one face of the pipe. Putting them onto the pipe though seems to be quite awkward based on DW20's experiences.
... Holy shit what this never happens.
Buildcraft got new shiny toys! What's next, ICSquared gets new features and Mojang fixes all their shit?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Pipe Plugs for BC, made with the assembler table.

Pipe Plugs.jpg

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
... Holy shit what this never happens.
Buildcraft got new shiny toys! What's next, ICSquared gets new features and Mojang fixes all their shit?

buildcraft always gets new stuff (emerald pipe, gates, now plugs) just like 99% of the mods, the other 1% is IC2

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
Pipe plugs, now there's progress heading in the right direction. I'll finally be able to build compact Buildcraft setups of three or more pipes. My early bee breeder setups will be half their former size.