If you could add one thing to any mod...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
IC2/GT is different than most RF mods in that they deliberately make things more complex in order to make it more interesting. If you prefer the faceroll mechanics of RF, then sure people should stick to that. But I love that there are still people out there making mods with some more complexity in them.

To me it is a choice of pandering to the masses versus making something with a vision and quality. RF power networks are boring as **** and were I to make a tech mod(and had the skills), then I would also choose the route of IC2/GT/Reika/whatever and go with a power system that is less of a faceroll.
But IC3 is basically just a GT wannabe ;)

Reactions: RedBoss and immibis

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
But IC3 is basically just a GT wannabe ;)
I am not sure I know what that means. Not sure you know either.

GT have moved dramatically over the years. It is not the same mod as it once was. Do you expect IC2 to have stayed the same as well? Not so long ago people were complaining that IC2 had not changed enough.
Makes sense to me that now that GT have moved on to be this almost "world conversion mod" that IC2 maybe take on a role of what what GT once was in 1.4.7. This way you can have the "mini GT" experience with IC2 only, or you can go full in with both mods.

No matter what, I salute them for having a vision for the mod and pursuing it in the goal for quality despite it not being the popular one. It is something more mods could benefit from I think.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
IC2/GT is different than most RF mods in that they deliberately make things more complex in order to make it more interesting. If you prefer the faceroll mechanics of RF, then sure people should stick to that. But I love that there are still people out there making mods with some more complexity in them.

To me it is a choice of pandering to the masses versus making something with a vision and quality. RF power networks are boring as **** and were I to make a tech mod(and had the skills), then I would also choose the route of IC2/GT/Reika/whatever and go with a power system that is less of a faceroll.
Hey, I like the simplicity. Like you, I respect IC2 for being it's own mod, with it's own special challenges. I also respect RF for being more simple, intuitive, and a solid foundation for most tech mods, though; it's good that both exist.

Reactions: RedBoss

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Makes sense to me that now that GT have moved on to be this almost "world conversion mod" that IC2 maybe take on a role of what what GT once was in 1.4.7. This way you can have the "mini GT" experience with IC2 only, or you can go full in with both mods.

No matter what, I salute them for having a vision for the mod and pursuing it in the goal for quality despite it not being the popular one. It is something more mods could benefit from I think.
That's sorta what I meant.
IC3 is practically slowly becoming like GT used to be... but it's not done as nicely as GT was

Reactions: immibis

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Isnt IC basically incorporating GT? Isn't this mostly because Greg has been doing a lot of work on the mod?
Greg worked with the IC team for a while, but then he left.
And they saw the potential in GT, but Greg didn't want to integrate the two. So they started to replicate GT, but they are ruining IC3, without making it very GT-like, other than more complex process... a process which isn't well documented, and not easy to understand, unlike Gregtech; sorta well documented, but easy to understand.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Greg worked with the IC team for a while, but then he left.
And they saw the potential in GT, but Greg didn't want to integrate the two. So they started to replicate GT, but they are ruining IC3, without making it very GT-like, other than more complex process... a process which isn't well documented, and not easy to understand, unlike Gregtech; sorta well documented, but easy to understand.

IC used to be my fave mod back in Unleashed days. I spent hours figuring out how to optimize water mills. I have progressively weaned myself off it since UU became a liquid. I used to enjoy building the reactors until one of the perfectly safe low power units I had built several times had a meltdown for no reason and cratered my base vaporizing everything in it. The last major setup I built was a giant solar tree above the base with over 200 ultimate hybrids and somewhere around 60 MFSU''s on the "trunk". The last time I tried to use IC I got so frustrated trying to use the canning machine to make coolant cells for over clockers I said f--- it and haven't looked at it since. That machine had some serious issues and using AE to autocraft overclockers was a bust.

I actually went back to one of the old mod packs and started a game to play with an older IC version just for nostalgia.

Reactions: jordsta95

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
IC used to be my fave mod back in Unleashed days. I spent hours figuring out how to optimize water mills. I have progressively weaned myself off it since UU became a liquid. I used to enjoy building the reactors until one of the perfectly safe low power units I had built several times had a meltdown for no reason and cratered my base vaporizing everything in it. The last major setup I built was a giant solar tree above the base with over 200 ultimate hybrids and somewhere around 60 MFSU''s on the "trunk". The last time I tried to use IC I got so frustrated trying to use the canning machine to make coolant cells for over clockers I said f--- it and haven't looked at it since. That machine had some serious issues and using AE to autocraft overclockers was a bust.

I actually went back to one of the old mod packs and started a game to play with an older IC version just for nostalgia.
Yeah, the thing for getting the coolant was where I said "I'm not even going to bother trying anymore" with IC3 while playing Infinity.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Yeah, the thing for getting the coolant was where I said "I'm not even going to bother trying anymore" with IC3 while playing Infinity.

Unless I completely miss something that will have to do with automating it, what is so hard about the coolant?

All you need is 2 canning machines a way to pump water in one of them and lapis dust. A liquid ejector upgrade or whatever it is called can be used to get the coolant from one to the other but liquid pipes probably also work.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Unless I completely miss something that will have to do with automating it, what is so hard about the coolant?

All you need is 2 canning machines a way to pump water in one of them and lapis dust. A liquid ejector upgrade or whatever it is called can be used to get the coolant from one to the other but liquid pipes probably also work.
Exactly. You have outlined how convoluted it is perfectly.

The machine that made the coolant couldnt be used to put it in the cells iirc.

Reactions: immibis

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013

You can but excess coolant will go in the other tank and as a result you would need to pump it out. You can probably automate it perfectly but I don't see the problem with using 2 machines. There are more items that need 2 machines and with this one they so happen to be called the same.If you want to go though the trouble of making sure everything gets inserted at the same time you should be able to just use one.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019

As was already said

But! Lenscas, unless the IC wiki updated, at the time of me trying, when following the wiki word-for-word, you can't craft the thing. And the NEI thing doesn't explain anything :p

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
It is updated then since you last saw it.

I now discovered that there is a machine that only handles filling of cells and cf sprayers. This means you don't even need to use the same machine twice to get the cells.
Now can someone explain again what makes this so much harder then for example the creation of tesseracts as for those you also needed 2 machines 1 to melt ender pearls and one to fill the frame.And IC3 even gives you the option to use 1 if you make sure that there are always enough cells available which again, shouldn't be too difficult unless I miss something.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
It is updated then since you last saw it.

I now discovered that there is a machine that only handles filling of cells and cf sprayers. This means you don't even need to use the same machine twice to get the cells.
Now can someone explain again what makes this so much harder then for example the creation of tesseracts as for those you also needed 2 machines 1 to melt ender pearls and one to fill the frame.And IC3 even gives you the option to use 1 if you make sure that there are always enough cells available which again, shouldn't be too difficult unless I miss something.
tesseracts are end game, you don't really NEED them to make machines do anything.

Whereas the servos (or whatever it is) that make TE machines faster, they are pretty straight forward to craft. And look at the octadict capacitor from EnderIO, it's not "cheap" but it's not a pain to make. And for something which just makes machines faster, it shouldn't be a hassle.
increasing/decreasing time to get something doesn't increase difficulty, or anything, it just prolongs the time between getting what you need.
Which is why I wouldn't mind a Steve's Carts 2 addon which just works out how much coal you would need to power the thing for the time it takes to make a cart, and you just give it that, and woosh, cart. Instead of waiting an hour or two for a good cart to craft.

So making it "complicated" to get your machine speeder-upper-ers isn't really something that appeals to a lot of people, or so it seems.
If it was like it used to be, 1 machine; put water cells in, get elctrolyzed cell out, craft overclocker. And that is all those cells would be used for (overclockers) then it wouldn't be so bad.

But as a lot of people, even game designers, will say: making someone do x, to get y, which is used to make z is adding complexity. Making someone wait x minutes (e.g. the time for a machine to process, and also powering it, etc.) to get z doesn't add complexity, it just makes the player play for longer... but while they are "playing" (waiting) they are most likely doing something else/afking

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
tesseracts are end game, you don't really NEED them to make machines do anything.
It was just an example of an item that would always need 2 machines to be crafted, I am sure you can think of other ones

Whereas the servos (or whatever it is) that make TE machines faster, they are pretty straight forward to craft. And look at the octadict capacitor from EnderIO, it's not "cheap" but it's not a pain to make. And for something which just makes machines faster, it shouldn't be a hassle.
increasing/decreasing time to get something doesn't increase difficulty, or anything, it just prolongs the time between getting what you need.
Which is why I wouldn't mind a Steve's Carts 2 addon which just works out how much coal you would need to power the thing for the time it takes to make a cart, and you just give it that, and woosh, cart. Instead of waiting an hour or two for a good cart to craft.

I am not going to argue about the fact long waiting times are annoying and don't accomplish anything, but you don't have to wait that long for your cells to fill if you decided to go with the 2 machine way.

So making it "complicated" to get your machine speeder-upper-ers isn't really something that appeals to a lot of people, or so it seems.
If it was like it used to be, 1 machine; put water cells in, get elctrolyzed cell out, craft overclocker. And that is all those cells would be used for (overclockers) then it wouldn't be so bad.
If you want you can still use one machine + a macerator but if you use ic2 you probably already have one anyway by the time you make them.

But as a lot of people, even game designers, will say: making someone do x, to get y, which is used to make z is adding complexity. Making someone wait x minutes (e.g. the time for a machine to process, and also powering it, etc.) to get z doesn't add complexity, it just makes the player play for longer... but while they are "playing" (waiting) they are most likely doing something else/afking
Same as before, you can use just one machine if filling it takes too long for you.

But I think we will need to agree to disagree, because here I am waiting for the devs to fix the energy net in such a way that they will turn machines explosions on by default or a similar mechanic, something you probably don't want. The reason this is relevant is because then using 2 machines or over clocking them means you may need to first upgrade your energy grid to make sure it can handle the extra energy that is needed.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
But I think we will need to agree to disagree, because here I am waiting for the devs to fix the energy net in such a way that they will turn machines explosions on by default or a similar mechanic, something you probably don't want. The reason this is relevant is because then using 2 machines or over clocking them means you may need to first upgrade your energy grid to make sure it can handle the extra energy that is needed.
I think first off, they need to add more ways of getting GOOD power...
Solar is overused, but crap.
The new wind turbines... I don't like maintenance, especially if I have to be 100+ blocks above where I am living (also, cabling that area would be annoying)
The old turbines are as crap as solars
Water mills are decent, if you have a way to automate filling them with water buckets... otherwise it's crap power.
Generators burn coal, and stuff, which is fine. But solid fuel isn't really interesting to automate.
Geo-thermal is decent... but getting lava is just a pain, and not very realistic. I'd much rather it be converted to a steam reactor (lava + water = power. 50mb lava for every 1000mb water, or something)
Then everyone's favourite... Nuclear reactor. No matter how much you try to convince me, something that can blow up (with me at the wheel) will blow up. And I hate when stuff like that happens. So it could output 1 billion EU/t. I still wouldn't use it.

Ideas of what to add?
BC integration - Diesel powered generators (basically how most of the world is powered)
Gas turbines (different to steam, these use methane... don't ask how you'd get it though) - Another real world power source
Hydro-electric dams (they would only work in river biomes, and need to be at least 5 blocks wide, etc.)

Then, you can consider "fixing" the power grid ;)

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I think comparing a coolant cell which is basically a beer can to an advanced item that will transport power, items a fluids between dimensions is a bit unfair lol

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
The new wind turbines... I don't like maintenance, especially if I have to be 100+ blocks above where I am living (also, cabling that area would be annoying)
Water mills are decent, if you have a way to automate filling them with water buckets... otherwise it's crap power.
Generators burn coal, and stuff, which is fine. But solid fuel isn't really interesting to automate.
Geo-thermal is decent... but getting lava is just a pain, and not very realistic. I'd much rather it be converted to a steam reactor (lava + water = power. 50mb lava for every 1000mb water, or something)
Then everyone's favourite... Nuclear reactor. No matter how much you try to convince me, something that can blow up (with me at the wheel) will blow up. And I hate when stuff like that happens. So it could output 1 billion EU/t. I still wouldn't use it.

Ideas of what to add?
BC integration - Diesel powered generators (basically how most of the world is powered)
Gas turbines (different to steam, these use methane... don't ask how you'd get it though) - Another real world power source
Hydro-electric dams (they would only work in river biomes, and need to be at least 5 blocks wide, etc.)

Then, you can consider "fixing" the power grid ;)
The generators that run on oil or fuel are a decent option, I've had a couple good sized banks of those. However those are of course as much work as lava to feed. But more power. Of course that was just to power the machines to make solar. If you're talking IC solar then yea crap, if your talking ultimate hybrids those are far superior to IC nukes and any other form of EU.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Tbh this is exactly what appeals to me about the mod. That they still keep producing power complicated and an involved process and actually a bit hard to do(unless you exploit other mods). I love the challenge! I LOVE that it have not gone down the road of RF where the majority of mods have over time crept up and up in efficiency in power production to be on top in popularity, until we now stand in the situation of all having the big issue: What to do with all the power?

And honestly, the fear of IC2 nuclear power is purely out of ignorance of their mechanics etc. It have always(? as long as I have known) been possible to set up VERY simple reactors that are practically idiot proof(will run safely indefinitely as long as you do not pull out or swap around components). And with Nuclear control you can set up 100% idiot proof security on it(shuts down the reactor should someone go in and remove/swap around components so it gets hot).

Last edited:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
You know what I'd really like to see in a mod? Functionality in Applied Energistics that mirrors Logistic Satellite Pipes. Why? Because items that require components to be placed in multiple different blocks or faces of the same block (i.e. AE2 inscribers, Thaumcraft's alchemical construct, anything following the TE magma crucible -> fluid transposer paradigm, etc.) are annoying to craft with AE, requiring that some items be stocked be stocked permanently, or either a subnet or another mod's sorting system to place the items in the correct places. However, there are still a few things that simply cannot be automated this way, the Alchemical Construct being a big one.

Say I want to automate production of Nitor and Alumentum using the same alchemical construct, and I don't want to use Charcoal to do it because my quarry is already producing more coal than I can handle. Coal can be used as the catalyst for producing Alumentum, so that's a no-brainer, and it can also be used to produce most of the essentia needed for Nitor production. So in one recipe, I want the coal to go directly into the construct, while in the other, it needs to go into the alchemical furnace (or one of them). There's simply no way to do it without having two separate ME Interfaces connecting to two separate subnets or filtered EnderIO/Thermal Dynamics/whatever lines, each with its own connection to the construct and furnace.

If AE implemented a bus or interface similar to Logistics Pipes' Satellite Pipe, on the other hand, I could simply place one of those on the alchemical furnace, a normal (or upgraded) ME Interface on the Construct, and configure the two recipes such that everything works fine.