If you could add one thing to any mod...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Or ... right-click on the actual ghost block with the block you want to use and have it be placed in that spot. Far less convenient but you'd be able to vary the blocks you're using.
I *think* you can do that with Blood Magic's phantom blocks; i.e. those created by the Phantom Bridge sigil and the Focus of the Ellipsoid ritual.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
This probably already exists, I have just never played a pack with it.
But some day I would love to play a pack that had semi-realistic ore spawns. And by that I mean that a regions geological "makeup" only really supports one or at most very few types of ores. And some areas are completely void of ore. But you could find certain spots that have a high ore density of a single kind, which would be obvious places to set up mines. But catch would be that you might find tin in your local area, but you would have to travel very far before you could find copper to take advantage of it(to make bronze tools). And maybe Bog Iron ore could be added as well to make up for scarce metals if you know where to look. And maybe different stone types(think Geostrata) could be used to indicated different geological zones to give clues to where to look for which metals.

So a pack with Per Fabrica Ad Astra?
Is there any way we can search the modpack list for specific mods?

Reactions: rhn

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Or ... right-click on the actual ghost block with the block you want to use and have it be placed in that spot. Far less convenient but you'd be able to vary the blocks you're using.

ok super troll... that's how it works now lol I mean technically it's placed in that square using the block below it as an anchor point :p

The other options, seriously speaking, would be add integration into the filler between the two blocks. So the guide acts as the land marks and the filler then fills... that actually would be awesome the more I think about it.

Reactions: lenscas

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I just thought of another thing to add... Extra Utilities. A smaller magnum torch or customizable torch either in size or effects. Namely the effect I'm looking for is that in the area passive mobs can't spawn. Squids, cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, none of it spawning LOL Yeah I seriously need that... So if you could just make that a thing that would be great.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
I just thought of another thing to add... Extra Utilities. A smaller magnum torch or customizable torch either in size or effects. Namely the effect I'm looking for is that in the area passive mobs can't spawn. Squids, cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, none of it spawning LOL Yeah I seriously need that... So if you could just make that a thing that would be great.

I need this just for the vanilla bats.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I need this just for the vanilla bats.
Or you could set up Thaumcraft Butcher Golems everywhere... XD

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
RFTools Environment Controller with a peace essence (or whatever that gets made into) can be customized as to the radius and +/- Y level it affects. It uses RF based off the effects set up and the volume of blocks covered by the effects. I have one set up in a RFTools dimension with the Mob Dragons dimlet to help protect my base (investing in more defenses was necessary, as mobs that spawn outside can move into the area).

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
RFTools Environment Controller with a peace essence (or whatever that gets made into) can be customized as to the radius and +/- Y level it affects. It uses RF based off the effects set up and the volume of blocks covered by the effects. I have one set up in a RFTools dimension with the Mob Dragons dimlet to help protect my base (investing in more defenses was necessary, as mobs that spawn outside can move into the area).
Does that prevent passive mobs from spawning as well, though?

Rahmiel

Jul 29, 2019
Not any mod specifically, but I'd like to see more adventure in mods and modpacks. I think the hole concept of mods right now is sitting in a base crafting my heart out, but I want to be REQUIRED to go out and adventure. I love Twilight Forest's concept right now, but it doesn't effect ANYTHING else. I want to be forced to kill a boss or find a special shrine to be able to make things. Maybe this already exists IDK, but I would love a modpack that does this. An example of what I mean would be something like, I have to kill some mob in the nether that drops a crystal that is REQUIRED to make a lava generator/dynamo. So basically the only way to use lava for power would be to kill that mob. I want this because I never have decent goals, and I always end up getting to a point where I feel like everything is done. I want to work for it more without it just being more crafting.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
MobInhibitors will do the trick.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

TheGreatKamina

Jul 29, 2019
Not any mod specifically, but I'd like to see more adventure in mods and modpacks. I think the hole concept of mods right now is sitting in a base crafting my heart out, but I want to be REQUIRED to go out and adventure. I love Twilight Forest's concept right now, but it doesn't effect ANYTHING else. I want to be forced to kill a boss or find a special shrine to be able to make things. Maybe this already exists IDK, but I would love a modpack that does this. An example of what I mean would be something like, I have to kill some mob in the nether that drops a crystal that is REQUIRED to make a lava generator/dynamo. So basically the only way to use lava for power would be to kill that mob. I want this because I never have decent goals, and I always end up getting to a point where I feel like everything is done. I want to work for it more without it just being more crafting.
I agree here, there's not enough exploration-oriented stuff in a lot of the modpacks. I would like to see more mods that add rare terrain features, or things to explore or discover. There was one in Mage Quest (Ruins I believe) that is a good start toward what I'm thinking of.

Edit: Actually, you know... it wouldn't be terribly difficult to make such a mod myself. No new mechanics or mobs or anything, just some worldgen. The trouble is (as always) not getting bored with the project an hour or so in...

That said, combat is an extremely difficult thing to balance when mods are involved, because plenty of them nowadays offer armor and weapons (which can be obtained by largely holing up in a safe area until you climb the tech tree the whole way) that render vanilla mobs trivial. So it'd be difficult to design bosses that present a fair challenge to players without downright requiring that they spend X amount of time holed up in their base.

Also, have you tried Departed? It's very heavily adventure oriented. The only thing I don't like about it is the mob spawning in broad daylight.

Last edited:

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
There are several mods now that have a nuclear explosion of one sort or another, but do you know what's missing?

A fridge you can hide in to survive the blast.
*cue adventure music, rolling boulder graphic, and whip sound effect*
Some danger to Big Reactors would be nice. It gives a reason to construct a bunker, instead of purely aesthetic stuff. :)

Rahmiel

Jul 29, 2019
I agree here, there's not enough exploration-oriented stuff in a lot of the modpacks. I would like to see more mods that add rare terrain features, or things to explore or discover. There was one in Mage Quest (Ruins I believe) that is a good start toward what I'm thinking of.

Edit: Actually, you know... it wouldn't be terribly difficult to make such a mod myself. No new mechanics or mobs or anything, just some worldgen. The trouble is (as always) not getting bored with the project an hour or so in...

That said, combat is an extremely difficult thing to balance when mods are involved, because plenty of them nowadays offer armor and weapons (which can be obtained by largely holing up in a safe area until you climb the tech tree the whole way) that render vanilla mobs trivial. So it'd be difficult to design bosses that present a fair challenge to players without downright requiring that they spend X amount of time holed up in their base.

Also, have you tried Departed? It's very heavily adventure oriented. The only thing I don't like about it is the mob spawning in broad daylight.

First off, you don't really have to add world gen so much as just specific mobs or rarer ores or things to find in the world. Balancing armor is easy when the prerequisites require you to kill a mob or boss anyways. Its more just a major tweaking job, maybe a mod itself to add in the mobs and I mean if you WANTED to add some kind of ruins type things you could or again just use another mod. The idea is to add to existing mainstream mods. Make it so that each mod is tiered requiring exploration.

Also Departed lacks a lot for me, I don't enjoy it because its too combat oriented, make x weapon to kill x mob to make x weapon, you know. I don't want to grind either, I want to have set goals. You know you could even do this with HQM just making the required item a quest reward for killing x thing. IDK it seems like such a simple concept I'm amazed my idea hasn't been done already.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
First off, you don't really have to add world gen so much as just specific mobs or rarer ores or things to find in the world. Balancing armor is easy when the prerequisites require you to kill a mob or boss anyways. Its more just a major tweaking job, maybe a mod itself to add in the mobs and I mean if you WANTED to add some kind of ruins type things you could or again just use another mod. The idea is to add to existing mainstream mods. Make it so that each mod is tiered requiring exploration.

Also Departed lacks a lot for me, I don't enjoy it because its too combat oriented, make x weapon to kill x mob to make x weapon, you know. I don't want to grind either, I want to have set goals. You know you could even do this with HQM just making the required item a quest reward for killing x thing. IDK it seems like such a simple concept I'm amazed my idea hasn't been done already.
It's been tried, man. In a game about building, adventure is hard to balance properly. :p
I think something like a research system would be good; go out into the world, discover something new, bring back to your base, and "research" it. This allows you to progress. Maybe the new things spawn as ores, plants, trees, stuff in ruins, drops from special mobs... I'm full of ideas, but I can't implement them myself (yet ;)). Hope that helps! :)

noah132456789

Jul 29, 2019
I'd really like to be able to rotate Buildcraft charging tables, to put them on the sides of blocks. Recharging your frame airship by lasers would be cool

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012

You could take a line from [old] Gregtech, and split specific key ores into different biomes.

Also ChromatiCraft requires a fair bit of exploring.