If you could add one block what would it be... Get your block idea into my mod!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
A grill. Have had several ideas for this. Don't even attempt to begin to comprehend why I have thought this indepth about grilling in minecraft though. Associated items such as different types of woods, possibly a kiln to make drywood for wood that changes the output of food cooked by the grill with that wood or charcoal of that wood etc etc. Associated food types as well.

Grill types:

First: Obviously just a basic block, maybe some netherrack and a flint and steel in the recipes with cobble/bricks/w.e

Second type: Multiblock. GUI-less for putting food in but perhaps a block in the back for a place to add in the fuel? http://i.imgur.com/3klG7nk.png The iron bars are a bit wonky since they'd need to lay flat like a grill but yea.

Final type: Well since you said you want to build up to the cofh api... Why not an electric grill? :3 Not much in the way of ideas on that one.

Anyway thought this might be fun and a good few things to learn coding wise.
I love this idea, but why not add a propane grill as well? Every non-restaurant grill I've seen has been propane.

This poses a glaring flaw, however: how do I get propane? Well, irl, it is a byproduct of refining crude oil into gasoline. Maybe if BC is installed, use its oil, bit if it's not, gen your own oil. Then you could add a multiblock refinery to separate propane from gasoline. This has the bonus(?) of giving you gasoline to use how you see fit.

Reactions: Hoff

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I love this idea, but why not add a propane grill as well? Every non-restaurant grill I've seen has been propane.

This poses a glaring flaw, however: how do I get propane? Well, irl, it is a byproduct of refining crude oil into gasoline. Maybe if BC is installed, use its oil, bit if it's not, gen your own oil. Then you could add a multiblock refinery to separate propane from gasoline. This has the bonus(?) of giving you gasoline to use how you see fit.
Or use the minecrafty logic and just use "Compressed gas" seeing as that is what propane is... and then compressed gas could be acquired by a gas compressor which uses fuel to compress gas in the surrounding area. Will not work in any other dimension other than the overworld too, just because the End is space, no air in space. And the Nether is hell... and I think sucking in the warm gasses of hell could cause it to explode, or maybe instead of getting compressed gas in the Nether you could get sulfur, which could have other uses.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds good as well. Im going to look into the code and see what I can do. I never really thought about it before but is there any existing modded block that randomly drops items? I cant think of any...

Only as a matter of poor design as it is now. Buildcraft pipes would drop items that had too many items in a single pipe. Buildcraft quarries would rain items if they didnt have anywhere to put them. So it could be turned into a method of reward rather than punishment.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Or use the minecrafty logic and just use "Compressed gas" seeing as that is what propane is... and then compressed gas could be acquired by a gas compressor which uses fuel to compress gas in the surrounding area. Will not work in any other dimension other than the overworld too, just because the End is space, no air in space. And the Nether is hell... and I think sucking in the warm gasses of hell could cause it to explode, or maybe instead of getting compressed gas in the Nether you could get sulfur, which could have other uses.

Nice ideas both of you. :) The propane/gas could be used in generators or the grill, and If I really got ambitious with this I could make different biomes have different gasses which would give the food different flavors/values. Honestly I have a while to come before a lot of this is possible, but all these good ideas are inspiring me to try to learn faster. :p Keep up the good work!

Also should I focus on just adding stuff and keeping it private for now or would you all rather see some public alphas as I go?

Reactions: pizzawolf14

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Nice ideas both of you. :) The propane/gas could be used in generators or the grill, and If I really got ambitious with this I could make different biomes have different gasses which would give the food different flavors/values. Honestly I have a while to come before a lot of this is possible, but all these good ideas are inspiring me to try to learn faster. :p Keep up the good work!

Also should I focus on just adding stuff and keeping it private for now or would you all rather see some public alphas as I go?

We like pictures too.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Only as a matter of poor design as it is now. Buildcraft pipes would drop items that had too many items in a single pipe. Buildcraft quarries would rain items if they didnt have anywhere to put them. So it could be turned into a method of reward rather than punishment.
Yea this sounds cool, I just meant I didn't know any code to reference to see how to spawn items randomly. I'm sure it can be done though,

We like pictures too.

Yea, I should probably start up a separate mod thread in a more appropriate place pretty soon for downloads and screenshots. I meant private as in no mod release not hidden for you all. :p

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
I could do some survival (or creative) testing for you if you need. May help find balance loopholes that one set of eyes may not catch.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
I could do some survival (or creative) testing for you if you need. May help find balance loopholes that one set of eyes may not catch.

Sounds Great! I'll try to send you a private alpha soon. Honestly the mod doesn't have anything too big in it yet, just a bunch of fairly useful stuff at least to me. :)

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Dirt decoration blocks maybe? :) Dirt slabs should be fairly simple along with stairs. Maybe like packed earth bricks or something early game but with a higher blast resistance to annoying creepers and nicer than dirt houses. :p

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
A redstone block that can transmit redstone signals around it. The interface would be like the Extra Utilities builder block. If you specify a 3x3x3, it will transmit in a 3x3x3 space in a 3d shape with the block being one block below. This would be great for turning power on and off for multiple machines or dynamos without physical connections.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
A redstone block that can transmit redstone signals around it. The interface would be like the Extra Utilities builder block. If you specify a 3x3x3, it will transmit in a 3x3x3 space in a 3d shape with the block being one block below. This would be great for turning power on and off for multiple machines or dynamos without physical connections.

This sounds awesome as well, though it could be very useful for griefers/pranks. If you set it up to max range near a base that uses signals for spawners, machines, etc. :) I like it!

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
It would need some sort of upgrade for each addition to size

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
You could use the Mfr style upgrades but I think more RF consumption is better. Items are cheap these days. rf consumption is better in my eyes.

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said RF and Guis are unknown to me as of now, but once I learn them I could definitely do this. Vanilla red-stone is terrible (sorry redstoners) and wireless is a tad clunky for a lot of things at once.

XLT_Frank

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said RF and Guis are unknown to me as of now, but once I learn them I could definitely do this. Vanilla red-stone is terrible (sorry redstoners) and wireless is a tad clunky for a lot of things at once.
That is why we don't have it yet. :)

I did figure out how to make a more compact render cable dynamo setup using strong connection mode.

Here is a cross section view:

F-D-F-D-F
D-R-C-R-D
F-D-F-D-F

F = fluid or item duct alternated depending on the dynamo type
D = dynamo
C = Rednet cable