Ideas for Traheremagy [Discussion]

SavannahMan

Jul 29, 2019
Note: This isn't on the mod suggestion thread due to the fact that it is an open ended discussion. If Jadedcat disagrees then I'm willing for this to be put in the right place.

On the Thaumonomicon you have a tab for Traheremagy, which holds the thaumium crowbar. However apart from this the tab is blank. So the question is, what could be added to flesh this out. What are the possibilities of magic rails.

My ideas:
Thaumium cart:
Research: Praecantatio, Iter, Motus.
Crafting: Just like a normal minecart. In a crafting altar with some Ordo.
Description: Via using thaumium to create your carts, you have created a chassis that can accept Golem upgrades.

Earth: Your carts are now stronger and consequently can shove wandering mobs out of the way without loosing speed.
Air: Your cart can now pull the air out its way and thus doubles its maximum speed.
Water: With the power of the flowing stream, your carts can move slowly by themselves in the direction of the upgrade. Use activator rails to turn this on and off.
Fire: Currently doesn't seem to have a use. However you think one could soon turn up.
Order: can stop the cart from ever running off its tracks.
Entropy: This makes your cart less fussy. Not on tracks? Couldn't care less. Carries on for at least 8 blocks on a level surface when at full speed.

Thaumium rails:

Research: Metalum, Motus.
Crafting: 6 ingots in a crafting altar with some ordo to bound them together makes 32 thaumium rails. Sadly these can only truly be substituted for standard rails in recipes.

Arcane detector:

research: Sensus, Cognito, Machina, iter
Arcane Detector: Infusing 4 greatwood planks, a redstone and spider eye around a zombie brain. Uses 15 sensus and 15 cognito.
Minecart labels: Same as normal labels, but with some salis-mundus instead of of slimeballs.

Description: You have found the ultimate in precision cart routing. Via using labels you can designate a cart with 3 sets of runes (4 with a fire upgrade). Each tab can be blank or take one of the 8 (correct me is needed) runes. Toggle each by right clicking the patches with a crowbar.

The detector detects these runes and if they matched the runes toggled on it, it will output a redstone signal. Most importantly, blank spaces on the detector don't search the respective slot on the cart thus allowing a range of carts through a certain part of the line, all with different destinations after that. This allows for highly advanced trunk and branch systems that your non-magical track layers can only dream of.

These are my best ideas for expanding magic rails. However many of you may well have other ideas which could be added into this. Whether magic rails is a potential source for expansion could well be decided here.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
The traheremagy tab is begging for some more content that is for sure. I really like your ideas too.

I wonder if maybe a better use for the fire upgrade would be to make TNT carts have a greater explosion strength, because three sets of runes already gives you a lot of valid combinations - is it likely you would need a 4th? (Sincere question btw, I don't have any experience with the labels: I use locomotives and routing tables for most routing).

Maybe a special arcane locomotive detector could be added which is able to "see" the contents of linked chest carts or tank carts (filterable) and is able to emit redstone based on the conditions in the normal item and tank detectors, except that it works for every cart in the train simultaneously

SavannahMan

Jul 29, 2019
QUADRAPOST.

Anyway. Tnt boost, blast resistance and fire resistance all seem good.

@Cassileroatr. I've just looked up the railcraft item routing and it seems a fair bit overblown. What's more is that its designed for locomotive trains which I have never used. While Covert jaguar has added some great stuff, I think that it is too complex to compete with the elegant pipe systems most people use. Coverts system is design for item transport, fair play, but there are mods out there that do far greater item transport. I think that if rails and carts want to compete, they need more uses and more abilities which are easier to use. I'm not sure how to implement your idea involving locomotives, however seeing into the carts is an interesting idea (Maybe an Eldritch detector which uses an Ender eye). Personally I think that trains could just use one of their carts to act as the label holder and that would deal with most of the routing you would ever want.

The rune filter system is different to the thaumcraft Jar label system. It's more like the Ender chest colour code. With 3 sets of runes and a single track going forward you could have at least 4374 possible destinations. While this is huge you have have a complex server wide system with main lines and branches going off to multiple bases. Imagine you have a turning that leads to two bases. That uses one set of runes. The separation between the two bases uses the second set. The turning between the farm and main base uses the third. While a fourth set of runes may be only used in very rare circumstances, you never know. I'd rather have 157,464 possible combinations than people running out of rune combinations for their section of the branch line.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
QUADRAPOST.

Anyway. Tnt boost, blast resistance and fire resistance all seem good.

@Cassileroatr. I've just looked up the railcraft item routing and it seems a fair bit overblown. What's more is that its designed for locomotive trains which I have never used. While Covert jaguar has added some great stuff, I think that it is too complex to compete with the elegant pipe systems most people use. Coverts system is design for item transport, fair play, but there are mods out there that do far greater item transport. I think that if rails and carts want to compete, they need more uses and more abilities which are easier to use. I'm not sure how to implement your idea involving locomotives, however seeing into the carts is an interesting idea (Maybe an Eldritch detector which uses an Ender eye). Personally I think that trains could just use one of their carts to act as the label holder and that would deal with most of the routing you would ever want.

The rune filter system is different to the thaumcraft Jar label system. It's more like the Ender chest colour code. With 3 sets of runes and a single track going forward you could have at least 4374 possible destinations. While this is huge you have have a complex server wide system with main lines and branches going off to multiple bases. Imagine you have a turning that leads to two bases. That uses one set of runes. The separation between the two bases uses the second set. The turning between the farm and main base uses the third. While a fourth set of runes may be only used in very rare circumstances, you never know. I'd rather have 157,464 possible combinations than people running out of rune combinations for their section of the branch line.

The new routing system is really good and not too complicated. You can make a fairly comprehensive system just using the Dest keyword and golden tickets. Inside a base I will use pipes (of various types) for most jobs but outside the base, Railcraft is just as capable if not more so than other systems (although quite expensive).

Just to clarify, the idea I have in mind for eldritch detector (cool name) using item carts and unloading as an example, is that it will only emit a redstone signal when all chest carts linked to a train are empty. I envisage a similar thing being possible for tank carts, with all the conditions that you normally see in the basic detectors.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
CoJag has a strange sense of humor, that's for sure.

I'd like to see the crowbar removed. It's unnecessary, where the thaumium scoop and grafter provide more uses and the option of the Repair Enchant, the crowbar, steel especially, simply doesn't need it.
An alternative alchemical or infusion recipe for steel would be nice to see and maybe, taking from the way the infernal furnace uses ignis to speed things up, I'd like to see the use of jarred essentia used to speed up the coke oven and the blast furnace.

Maybe some infusion alternatives for some of the track recipes.

If you really want to go balls-to-the-wall, essentia transportation, through the use of a thaumium cart+jar.
Creosote Oil alchemy, using a bottle as a catalyst.
Thaumium Droll Bore to allow for enchant effects on broken blocks.

I dunno man, I'm tired.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
What about a Thaumo-cartometer? Some kind of cart that travels around on rails scanning all the items it sees that you haven't scanned yet.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
@Democretes Way too over powered.

I agree with Succubisim, the Thaumium crowbar has little point. And her ideas are also pretty good. But you forgot about essentia loaders. Those might become necessary if Azanor goes through with his essentia tube nerfs.

I think an Arcane Bore cart would be awesome. powering it might be a slight problem, and you wouldn't be able to use the arcane lamp, but it would be really useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaovalin

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
From watching his Dark Tower series, he has a dev build with an Essentia fueled train cart in the works, which sounds pretty cool.

SavannahMan

Jul 29, 2019
Essentia carts were something I was thinking about and will be particularly useful, especially in fueling other carts.

Arcane bore cart would be useful, along with other machine carts that use essentia. I'm not so sure about a thaumometer cart and its use.

Maybe an advanced version of the powered minecart that uses motus essentia? How about a node in a cart?

I'll flesh these ideas out.
Eldritch Detector
requires: Arcane detector.
Research: Alienes, Sensus, cognito, Iter
Crafting. Arcane infusion which is the same as the arcane detector, only with an ender eye instead of the spider eye and some alienes essentia.
Description: Refining the detectors more, you have worked out a system that enables a detector to see inside carts and output a redstone signal if said cart has something in it or not in it (toggleable). Works with numerous types of carts.

Essentia Carts
requires: Thaumium cart.
Research: aqua, praecantatio, iter, motus
Crafting: Warded jar and a thaumium cart, in a crafting altar, with the lead piping some aqua and ordo.
Description: While your traheremagy has made you the envy of the non-magical navvies, many advanced thaumatuge's remain unconvinced of its usefulness to magic, until now. Via fixing a warded jar to your cart you can transport and distribute essentia across long distances. If the cart travels under an essentia tube, it will stop (the entire train if connected) connect and try to fill itself up with the largest amount of essentia available before disconnecting. If there is no acceptable essentia available, the cart will disconnect. The cart will offload essentia in much the same way via tubes connecting to its side.

The warded jar can hold a label and store 64 essentia. You can use it for all the applications of other warded jars which may come in useful.

Arcane bore cart:
requires: Thaumium cart.
Research: Perfodio, Motus, Praecantatio, Machina.
Crafting. Simply an Arcane bore base and top onto the cart.
Description: After a bit of research you have found a way to fix and arcane bore onto a minecart. All items are dumped onto the floor unless a chest cart is adjacent.

Cart with alchemical furnace:
requires: Essentia cart.
Research: Motus, Ignis, Potentia, Praecantatio.
Crafting: Crafting Altar. Alchemical furnace plus thaumium cart. Uses ignis and ordo.
Description: You have improved significantly the basic powered minecart design. Via using an alchemical furnace, specifically hooked up to run off of motus essentia. While the top speed remains the same, the torque of the cart is doubled enabling one cart to pull 8 chest carts up a steep hill.
Each motus essentia can power a cart for 128 blocks enabling a maximum range of 8192 from a single cart filled with motus. While not as long as that of a coal pulled minecart, the essentia cart always pulls in the same direction and can be toggled on and off with an activator rail. Combined with essentia filling stations you have an incredibly effective and clean train puller.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I second the arcane bore cart idea. In that same vein, how about a defensive cart that you can arm with a wand that attacks hostile mobs? How about a golem harness so you can have a golem drawn carriage like a true evil wizard :).

SavannahMan

Jul 29, 2019
I second the arcane bore cart idea. In that same vein, how about a defensive cart that you can arm with a wand that attacks hostile mobs? How about a golem harness so you can have a golem drawn carriage like a true evil wizard :).

I was thinking about a hand cart driven by two golems (could be forbidden research). A defensive cart sounds nice. We could also have a track laying cart with a golem hanging off the front placing down the tracks. A bit like this at 1:31

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Arcane levitator + rails. Elivator without the vertical tracks.
Minecart + hungry chest. Kinda like a hopper cart, but with more inventory space.
Node in a cart. Moving pure nodes while slowly transforming the area it travels trough.
Minecart + mirror. Teleport to your train, wherever it might be.
Brain in a cart. XP collecting cart.

I dunno, I think there are plenty of things one could do here :)

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Maybe that's what the fire focus could do on the carts...

SavannahMan

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot about pure nodes healing tainted lands. That would be a very good use.
Minecart+hungry chest would also be useful for farms and stuff.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
@Democretes Way too over powered.

I agree with Succubisim, the Thaumium crowbar has little point. And her ideas are also pretty good. But you forgot about essentia loaders. Those might become necessary if Azanor goes through with his essentia tube nerfs.

I think an Arcane Bore cart would be awesome. powering it might be a slight problem, and you wouldn't be able to use the arcane lamp, but it would be really useful.
Considering what you'd actually be scanning, not really. You're more or less just going to be scanning ores, stones, and plants. That's a very small portion in the grand scheme of things. Most of the stuff will already be scanned anyways.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I like the brain in a cart idea Skyqula.
The bore/defensive carts would look fairly epic with a golem mounting it like a gatling gun.

From my own play- the RC blast furnace/coke oven don't really need a speed boost; even with Gtech being steel hungry 2 of each were providing steel faster than I could use it.
It wasn't chunkloaded either. (4 hoppers, 6 engines, a bit of pipe and a gold chest- just setup early and kept 'em running)

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
A magic mirror cart that can return the contents to base or be remotely supplied.

An arcane levitator based upgrade to the launch track with adjustable launching power.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
You can take your thaumium rails and... infuse them with 1 nether star, 4 enderpearls, 2 diamonds, 2 gold ingots, 64 iter, 32 alienis, & 32 ordo. Trans-dimentional Tracks, baby. That's what I'm talking about.