Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Probably not

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Brenn_

Jul 29, 2019
With school getting out soon (yay!), I've been thinking it would be fun to make a HQM modpack.

Before I actually start making it, I figured I should first see if anyone would actually be interested in playing it.

The concept is essentially: You are on a vanilla-style superflat, with a dirt world, and villages. Your goal is then to slowly work your way up the "tech" ladder of vanilla/mods--
Scavenging from villages -> Agricraft (with weeds off) & vanilla-style resource gathering (tree farm, cobble gen, trading)-> Botania + Blood Magic -> Flaxbeard's -> [Tech mods... TE, enderio, mekanism, etc... Probably some ExtraUtilities stuff as well] -> Minechem -> AE2--With some Progressive Automation throughout (It's a very rough outline of core mod progression; note that some of the magic mods' late-game items will be gated behind some tech stuff). Obviously recipes would be heavily tweaked in order to fit in line with the progression tree.

The main challenge would be increasing your ore production... Starting with oreberry bushes (for which a recipe will be added), then working your way up to an Orechid, then to an ex nihilo sieve (which, yes, will be late-ish game, and require tech), and finally to an MFR laser drill.

At this point, I'd think it would be entertaining to play, but it's just a bunch of ideas running through my head and I thought I may as well see if anyone would actually be interested in playing something like this before I start seriously thinking about putting it together.

Thoughts? Would you play something like this?

Edit: If you said "no," I'd appreciate a post explaining why, so I know it isn't just a "hey look, a poll. Let's vote no because it's an anonymous poll"

Last edited:

pndragon65

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of oreberry bushes or AE2 for that matter and am tired of the grind of ex nihilo/ex astris. A pack that uses seldom used mods like ancient warfare with just the automation and structures components enabled for power gen and modular systems mod for storage would get my attention. IMHO AE2 was more fun when it was mostly just simple storage/access and some autocrafting. Mod complexity doesn't always improve gameplay. A complex storyline (that doesnt somehow get forgotten somewhere in the hqm) on the other hand with a definite end goal I feel is much more entertaining.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, if you enable ores in the TiCon config it will generate lots of ore and essence berry bushes.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Lol, I meant on a superflat world if you enable ores on superflat the are everywhere. Which is actually pretty nice once you get a watering can, just set up a few huts and you start getting them pretty quickly.

Last edited:

joetinchi

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a big fan of plain superflat world's if it was hqm on an island or something where its harder to get stuff or just a normal generated world

BlockFizix

Jul 29, 2019
imo a superflat world for an HQM pack seems like a bad idea , a superflat world is kinda unsightly and boring. I don't exactly see an end goal in mind, and i'm not sure how an ex nihilo seive is a late game item. But if you work up some other ideas , an HQM pack will come together easily.
What is the big deal with HQM? Seriously

HQM is great becuase it serves to give minecraft a purpose, IMO you could probably install nothing other than HQM, set the difficulty to hardcore/hard, and make a meaningful experience out of "vanilla" minecraft. It also can help newer players learn the progression of many mods, and with a lot of work, you an include an intensive lore and quest system similar to many rpg's. It also not always necessary to use HQM and make it "hardcore", as I implied above, you could just use it as a quest system.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
It's just I've played several HQM and they were all the exact same experience and the HQM+Ex Nihilo always make sit so grindy

pndragon65

Jul 29, 2019
hqm as the only mod in a vanilla pack actually sounds interesting. consider: How many players actually know how to play the basic game? Too many people that I have played with have always played with mods of one kind or another and never really learned the basics. They follow the lp videos made by tubers as he/she works their way through whatever pack that they are playing, not really learning why they are doing what they are doing. And they have never had to do any redstone programming and so don't know what real automation in mc is, when you don't have a single block for every task (like all of those kitchen sink mods that are currently so popular) and you have to make do with what you have.

Other mods could be added, the mods that don't really effect gameplay too much. Things like mo' creatures, the weapons mod, and one of the innumerable backpack mods. These few mods, for example, don't really add anything to the game except variety.

And to make it interesting for the pack developer, why not set yourself a limit on the number of mods you do use? Say 10 or so, not counting forge of course. And then build a map along the lines of http://thefarlanders.com/captiveminecraft/ where the main reward for completing any task is an expansion of the world border to make it possible to complete the next task

Brenn_

Jul 29, 2019
hqm as the only mod in a vanilla pack actually sounds interesting. consider: How many players actually know how to play the basic game? Too many people that I have played with have always played with mods of one kind or another and never really learned the basics. They follow the lp videos made by tubers as he/she works their way through whatever pack that they are playing, not really learning why they are doing what they are doing. And they have never had to do any redstone programming and so don't know what real automation in mc is, when you don't have a single block for every task (like all of those kitchen sink mods that are currently so popular) and you have to make do with what you have.

Other mods could be added, the mods that don't really effect gameplay too much. Things like mo' creatures, the weapons mod, and one of the innumerable backpack mods. These few mods, for example, don't really add anything to the game except variety.

And to make it interesting for the pack developer, why not set yourself a limit on the number of mods you do use? Say 10 or so, not counting forge of course. And then build a map along the lines of http://thefarlanders.com/captiveminecraft/ where the main reward for completing any task is an expansion of the world border to make it possible to complete the next task

That's an interesting idea, a kind of minimalist pack.

Let's see...
-Jabba
-Storage Drawers
-Minetweaker
-Steve's factory manager (For a bit of labor-intensive automation, with some blocks disabled, for stone gen or wood gen)
-Some backpack mod
-HQM

I definitely like the idea.

pndragon65

Jul 29, 2019
just a few thoughts.

instead of sfm, i would use progressive automation. with levels of wood, stone, iron, and diamond it is more in keeping with minecraft's natural progression. also viable for automation purposes would be the ancient warfare mod, especially if you only add the aw core along with the aw automation and aw structure addons. This has the benefit of adding automatic farms and an automatic quarry, all made largely out of wood and powered by waterwheels and windmills. minetweaker you can use but it doesn't count as one of the mods because the player cannot interact with it directly. If you do use minetweaker, i would suggest also adding nei just to be enable the player to see the changed recipes. A creature mod of some kind could be added. I suggested mo' creatures because, as far as i know, it doesn't add any blocks (it didn't used to but things may have changed) just mobs some of which are just plain mean and nasty.

one last thing. you might consider adding a world gen mod of some kind. my personal choice would be the skylands mod, once again because it doesn't substantially change the basic game-play only adding the additional hurdle of having to travel from floating island to floating island. If you have added mo' creatures, this can be mitigated somewhat by breeding a flying horse or catching a griffin but neither of these is early game and the taming of said beasts would be quite dangerous considering that it is extremely possible to fall into the void in the attempt.

BlockFizix

Jul 29, 2019
the Bioshphere mods seems like a cool world gen mod, each biome is placed in its own sphere, connected by bridges, could add a new challenge to surviving

joetinchi

Jul 29, 2019
imo a superflat world for an HQM pack seems like a bad idea , a superflat world is kinda unsightly and boring. I don't exactly see an end goal in mind, and i'm not sure how an ex nihilo seive is a late game item. But if you work up some other ideas , an HQM pack will come together easily.

HQM is great becuase it serves to give minecraft a purpose, IMO you could probably install nothing other than HQM, set the difficulty to hardcore/hard, and make a meaningful experience out of "vanilla" minecraft. It also can help newer players learn the progression of many mods, and with a lot of work, you an include an intensive lore and quest system similar to many rpg's. It also not always necessary to use HQM and make it "hardcore", as I implied above, you could just use it as a quest system.
That's why I said on an island or something if it had hqm but superflat is kinda boring which is why it would be better just normal generated :)

joetinchi

Jul 29, 2019

Yes a superflat hqm would be boring but I said on an island or something like NOT A SKYBLOCK just a little desert island so founded by water and then nothing else MBE water down to void and just stone holding the island up

joetinchi

Jul 29, 2019

Let's see...
-Jabba
-Storage Drawers
-Minetweaker
-Steve's factory manager (For a bit of labor-intensive automation, with some blocks disabled, for stone gen or wood gen)
-Some backpack mod
-HQM

For backpack mod use
Better storage

joetinchi

Jul 29, 2019

Let's see...
-Jabba
-Storage Drawers
-Minetweaker
-Some backpack mod
-HQM

That pack would be great for some people like my cousin who have 32 bit PCs and have like 1GB ram

BlockFizix

Jul 29, 2019
you could probably throw fastcraft in there if you really want too to lessen the modpack's load even more.

pndragon65

Jul 29, 2019
Yes a superflat hqm would be boring but I said on an island or something like NOT A SKYBLOCK
Skylands is like a skyblock only in that it is possible to fall into the void. The land itself comes as randomly generated floating islands some of which can be quite large. And you can do the same things that you do in the vanilla overworld except explore the whole world just by walking cross country. there might conceivably be a problem getting all of the ores that you need on one island just because of their scarcity (gold, diamonds, redstone) and the depth at which they are found. This would force you to bridge the void in an attempt to find the things you need

Brenn_

Jul 29, 2019
Yes a superflat hqm would be boring but I said on an island or something like NOT A SKYBLOCK just a little desert island so founded by water and then nothing else MBE water down to void and just stone holding the island up
So... A seablock?

Edit: definitely a no on mo' creatures. Its modpack policy is incredibly sketchy...

"There is a new exciting goal in patreon:

Open to ModPacks
$500 per month
By reaching this goal, there will be universal permission to add the MoCreatures mod into modpacks. The modpacks should display the proper credits, and I reserve the right to revoke the permission in the future if the goal is no longer reached."

Yeah, I'm not even sure if that is legal, according to the minecraft EULA/TOS stuff. I had thought you can't profit off of mods... I still don't want to use it.

---

If the goal is to be relatively vanilla-ish, I feel that progressive automation is a bit too techy. SFM would not be particularly early-game, and would need to be augmented by some redstone and pistons to really be able to do some semi-complex tasks.

---
Some sort of skylands world gen is actually a really nice idea. Any opinions for or against the biospheres mod?
Another one which I've been looking at is a villager mod which allows you to add custom trades, maybe as a source of some rare materials.

All in all, that style of pack would definitely have fewer than 20 mods.

I will probably be starting to put together something like that at some point over the summer. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the logistics of actually making my own computer game.

Last edited: