IC2, GT, EU Suggestion/Idea Thread

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, not an Eloraam fanboy, but those windmills and wind turbines... Goddamn. Even if you DON'T need all the power they can give you, it's nice just for decoration. Like, the Windmill is an actual WINDMILL. Doesn't take many resources to build either. Now she needs to add a blulectric grindstone that makes flour out of wheat, and all will be good.

I don't like how most of the rest of the mod looks, however, with few exceptions, such as the windmills, and the alloy furnaces. And insulated wire, bundled cable & red alloy wire. Blulectric cable is rather ugly =/ sorting machines, router filters etc also don't have any charm to them. Sometimes i don't like using pneumatic tubes just because they're ugly.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well, if things start looking ugly, that's what texture packs are for. TBH, i'm quite impressed at the detail in the default textures at 16x res.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
any update with anything new would be nice, same old mod every update since like alpha.

oh, and use up to date minecraft items.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, not an Eloraam fanboy, but those windmills and wind turbines... Goddamn. Even if you DON'T need all the power they can give you, it's nice just for decoration. Like, the Windmill is an actual WINDMILL. Doesn't take many resources to build either. Now she needs to add a blulectric grindstone that makes flour out of wheat, and all will be good.

I don't like how most of the rest of the mod looks, however, with few exceptions, such as the windmills, and the alloy furnaces. And insulated wire, bundled cable & red alloy wire. Blulectric cable is rather ugly =/ sorting machines, router filters etc also don't have any charm to them. Sometimes i don't like using pneumatic tubes just because they're ugly.
awww shame, I think tubes look rather snazzy, a lot more detail on them than the BC pipes

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
That issue seems to have been resolved, in another thread i mentioned the same issue when talking about Dire's system of auto-enchanting books in his LP series, and someone on the thread mentioned they set up the same system using pneumatic tubes, and it worked fine, and the books didn't lose their enchantments, world didn't get corrupted or crashed, and all was right with the world. I didn't test it, though.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
meh, enchanting books is HOOORRRIBLY underpowered. Added to the fact that it's neither cool, nor fun, it's something I will never again do.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly, last I heard, Albaka's view on multiblocks was that they invited lag-fests, and that they would not be appearing in IC2 (despite the first multiblock being an IC2 one).

With regard to the solar power issue, I don't have any issue with maintenance-free power. I have a boiler fed by bio-fuel, and produced by a tree farm. The system is entirely closed, and provides me with a large amount of power. I'd hazard a guess that people wouldn't have an issue with this. The issue with solars (and other methods of generation, to a lesser extent), relates back to the difference between exploit and system. The fact that the complexity of setup is mainly in the expense of the item (a MV solar is VERY expensive, in comparison to a 4x Geothermal setup with a nether pump, with a comparable output). I'm not entirely sure how to remedy that, but possibly something akin to the factorisation route (solar panels are low-yield, and can have multiple collectors focussed on them)? Possibly introducing a steam system (sun heats water to drive the other bits)? This would make the system more complicated to set up.

Personally, I would quite like a combination of the two. One solar heating block, requiring power, and focussed collectors. The collectors can be put anywhere, provided they have line of sight to the heater, and to the sky. During the night, the heater requires additional input to keep it at heat, otherwise it needs to regain that heat in the morning. The more collectors, the more heat, the more steam.

I am perfectly aware that this is not feasible, but could be interesting, none-the-less.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly, last I heard, Albaka's view on multiblocks was that they invited lag-fests, and that they would not be appearing in IC2 (despite the first multiblock being an IC2 Vanilla one).
fixed for you.
Double_Chest.gif

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
fixed for you.
images
Ok, yes, that was the first multi-block. But the reactor was the first one in a mod (unless railcraft's coke oven/bast furnaces were first?).

Also, doors could be debatably included, they are multi-block, but single place. Regardless, mutliblock structures were veto'd from IC2, last I heard.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, yes, that was the first multi-block. But the reactor was the first one in a mod (unless railcraft's coke oven/bast furnaces were first?).

Also, doors could be debatably included, they are multi-block, but single place. Regardless, mutliblock structures were veto'd from IC2, last I heard.
well if you don't know for sure, it's pretty ridiculous to make a statement like that.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
well if you don't know for sure, it's pretty ridiculous to make a statement like that.
It's been a while since I last frequented the IC2 forums (since I moved over here), but in the conversations of this type over there, one of Albaka's posts usually got quoted on the side of emphatic "no". I can dig around, and see if I can find the reference, though.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have another, better use for surplus leather from cow shards & automated reed farms? It's still more resource efficient than enchanting tools and combining them in an anvil/uncrafting table. You're guaranteed to get your perfect tool every time.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have another, better use for surplus leather from cow shards & automated reed farms? It's still more resource efficient than enchanting tools and combining them in an anvil/uncrafting table. You're guaranteed to get your perfect tool every time.
I use EnchantingPlus, so screw that random nonesense.
Leather is used for thaumcraft research quite frequently.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

jmixmaster

Jul 29, 2019
"Vanilla" IC2 was extremely lacking in more advanced power generation minus nuclear reactors. Gregtech definitely adds more and better power gen options but, you can never have too many ways to generate EU.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
There are laggy multiblocks, and then there are non-laggy multiblocks. Laggy multiblocks like the Coke Oven are the ones that keep checking over and over to see if they're in a valid configuration. Non-laggy multiblocks don't check as often and take longer to update to full structures, and stop checking after they validate as multiblocks, like forestry Multifarms. If you want massive lagfests, try building a house out of coke & blast furnace bricks... Insaaaaaane lag, so many updates oh my god what is going on X_X.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
There are laggy multiblocks, and then there are non-laggy multiblocks. Laggy multiblocks like the Coke Oven are the ones that keep checking over and over to see if they're in a valid configuration. Non-laggy multiblocks don't check as often and take longer to update to full structures, and stop checking after they validate as multiblocks, like forestry Multifarms. If you want massive lagfests, try building a house out of coke & blast furnace bricks... Insaaaaaane lag, so many updates oh my god what is going on X_X.
I quite like the Xycraft way of doing things, where the update is user-triggered. That way it only checks if the user interacts with a specific block in a specific way.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I think that's why Covert added the block that looks like the coke oven brick but does not check for anything, and cannot be used to make a coke oven. I just forget the name of it..

Reactions: Chocorate

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
what about vanilla enchanting tables? they are also a multiblock... in some sort of way.[DOUBLEPOST=1364306504][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think that's why Covert added the block that looks like the coke oven brick but does not check for anything, and cannot be used to make a coke oven. I just forget the name of it..

infernal brick for the blast one.