i wish to start a direwolf20 server

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

simonlvschal

Jul 29, 2019
i got a couple of questions about starting a direwolf20 server first of all

how much ram should i get? and also if u people know any service provider that can host a server i be happy to see that.

also i will be making a website for the server

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know much about hosts but i would recommend 3-4 gigs of ram at first, and if you start getting alot of player then start increasing your ram.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I would suggest Creeper host as they have treated me very well, and respond to support tickets very quickly. I've also heard that OVH and Aim2Game are good providers.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Start it off as a whitelisted server. That way you have time to learn the ins and outs of managing a server. Then, after a good bit of time(maybe 6-7 months?) unwhitelist it. To draw players in, post to all the server promotion sites that support modded servers. And you can also post in the server promotion area on these forums.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Start it off as a whitelisted server. That way you have time to learn the ins and outs of managing a server. Then, after a good bit of time(maybe 6-7 months?) unwhitelist it. To draw players in, post to all the server promotion sites that support modded servers. And you can also post in the server promotion area on these forums.
I would just keep it whitelisted, a small server with 10 players is so much more fun than a massive server with 200.

simonlvschal

Jul 29, 2019
yes i know i dont like to big servers but atm i am thinking about how my website should look and function and so on.

and yes i am up for the task to handle such a server and do my best to keep people in the server

Reactions: RealSketch

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
It's more then keeping people on the server. It's also keeping the server running. Being able to handle corrupted chunks, crashes, malfunctioning machines, lag, and a multitude of other things that happen to every modded server admin.

Reactions: RealSketch

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
And as a note, I'm not trying to turn you off the idea of making a server. Far from it! I'm just warning you about the things that can happen to a mismanaged server.

simonlvschal

Jul 29, 2019
well honestly the server can wait abit without a website how would people come in contact with me?

Edit infact good idea to plan ahead for server

taking that into consideration

i should work out a mod list right?

and also figure what people actually want i guess? as

- No Grief
- No Spam
- No hacking
- no 3rd party program or client

something like that right? set specific rules, things u can do and u cannot do!

Last edited:

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say stick with the basic rules, such as no griefing, hacking, and respect fellow players and staff. Keep banned items to a minimum. If there is one thing that can turn off players from a server, it's a long banlist of items. I suggest using plugins such as MyTown and world guard for protection(MyTown is especially good since it is a forge mod, so can prevent griefs from mod items). Also, try not to make people pay for the privilege to use certain items. Speaking as a player of many modded servers, this is incredibly annoying.