i think i have a wisp problem....

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nibrodooh

Jul 29, 2019
i want the loot in the dungeon, any ideas?
2013-03-10_19.43.24.png

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Drop TNT/Dynamite in the through a roof hole.

E: Or create a wither inside.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Lol, that aint a wisp problem, this is a wisp problem.

Most effective was a lightining wand.... made relatively quick work of them. Get some armor and take it slow, they hit hard and they have a long range.

How... what... no, seriously HOW in the world did you manage that?

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
You could always just dig under the place and get the treasure from under. :p

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Another method is grow some silverwood trees just out of reach of the dark node so the pure nodes don't get consumed, open the top of the hill, and then move away for a bit. The pure node should periodically destroy any wisps within so far of it.

Just be happy you haven't run into a couple of wisp spawners :X

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Another method is grow some silverwood trees just out of reach of the dark node so the pure nodes don't get consumed, open the top of the hill, and then move away for a bit. The pure node should periodically destroy any wisps within so far of it.

Just be happy you haven't run into a couple of wisp spawners :X
I miss pig spawners /le sigh

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
i want the loot in the dungeon, any ideas?

The easy way?

Just dig out the ground around it. The three chests are at the bottom in the middle of the walls. Just poke a hole and loot. Never have to go inside.

masa

Jul 29, 2019
I have a problem on my server: after about 1-2 IRL days, I have no hostile mobs spawning anymore, except from spawners. That is because there are so many wisps spawning at the world spawn, which is always loaded, so the wisps count toward the mob cap.
So, I would like to know about the wisp mechanics. Do they despawn on their own? Someone mentioned that pure nodes kill them slowly? What about normal nodes, no effect I assume?
But how would that explain what is happening to my world? They are spawning on their own at the world's spawn area, and they stick around until I go there. Then they float around for a little while and then start disappearing quite quickly. I see the popping effect every now and then when they disappear, does that mean that they despawn or die? Why won't they die/disappear when I'm not at the spawn?

And what are my options to fix the situation? Should I try to find out where they spawn and incase it with glass or something? But I assume they would still spawn, so I should also set up an automated killing system for them? Is it a unstable or dark node that spawns them? There are no people living nor doing anything thaumcraft at the spawn. The flux level was moderate in one area near the spawn last time I checked it. Didn't find a bad node yet though. (are nodes always above ground or at least in air blocks or can they be in solid stone?) There is a thaumcraft altar thingy near the spawn, does that have a node? Or should I just try moving the world spawn to somewhere a little ways away so that the problematic area is not loaded all the time?

I would appreciate any input on my problem.

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft altar thingy's got a wisp spawner, the cage with the spinning mob in them kind of spawner, under the block which the chest stands on. That might be the problem. It is also common that these altars hold a unstable node which slowly produce flux, thus whisps. I dont know if whisps despawn at a certain radius, but i would asume they do if a player is over 128(?) blocks away. As for the exploding, thats how they die.. Dont ask me why, but whisps sometimes do that. To keep the whisps from going everywhere you can put a cage around the node to keep them in, but that wont stop the spawning, if you want them dead i would suggest a tesla coil with quicksand. so they get zapped and there drops slowly fall down. Have a golem under that, out of the coils reach, to pick up the drops. If you wnat to stop the spawning completely you can eiter breed bees and use pure bees to absorb the flux. Or make a large pure node and make that merge with the dark/unstable node. The pure node much be bigger then de dark node or the dark node will only grow more in power. Merging nodes do cause flux, and the leftover flux will spawn wisps. but give it a while and the flux slowly disapears and solves itself. Asuming your not generating more with wasting aspects.

EDIT: i forgot to note, while its common for nodes to spawn above ground. I have seen it happen several times that nodes simply spawn underground. If they acually make a single block pocket to spawn in i dont know. But they can spawn underground for sure.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Apparently wisps specifically spawn from nodes, so if you locate all those in that area you should be able to quickly isolate their source. I've never found one below ground, but then, I've never looked. Unfortunately nodes inside blocks (such as those produced by Silverwood trees, which spawn in their trunks) are about impossible to see (goggles or not) but I strongly suspect they're usually above ground.

I've found that unloading chunks containing wisps causes them to disappear when I return to the area (a teleportation system of some sort does this well). However, the spawn chunk is always loaded, so what I'm assuming happens is that your wisps are floating out of that into the surrounding chunks - since those are unloaded they never despawn until you return. Which'd make sense, except that to my understanding mobs in unloaded chunks don't count towards the spawn limit? Could be wrong on that, but it'd be madness if they do.

A node with any amount of flux may spawn wisps, and unless you're doing something to generate flux (eg using vis for just about anything, or have a dragon egg siphon or some such in the area) it should eventually go down to 0. Dark/unstable nodes are the exception and will crank out wisps until you merge them into another node or move them to an unloaded chunk somewhere.

masa

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, thanks for your quick response. I think I'll try if I can find a dark/unstable node at the altar or somewhere else, and then surround it with glass. If all the wisps are inside the glass then I know that is the problem and I can take some kind of measures to solve the problem.

I guess the problematic node can't be be below ground since the wisps are flying around above ground? Assuming the wisps only spawn inside the nodes...

masa

Jul 29, 2019

A node with any amount of flux may spawn wisps, and unless you're doing something to generate flux (eg using vis for just about anything, or have a dragon egg siphon or some such in the area) it should eventually go down to 0. Dark/unstable nodes are the exception and will crank out wisps until you merge them into another node or move them to an unloaded chunk somewhere.

That's the thing, there is flux at the spawn, and there is, or ever has been, nothing done related to thaumcraft at the spawn. I've gotten the "the air around you ..." messages, and there are tons of wisps around, so I'm assuming there _must_ be a nasty node somewhere near the spawn?

And yeah, I've been wondering why it is that there are tons of wisps at the spawn, with no players around, that do not despawn on their own, and still count toward the mob cap. So they kind of have to be inside the loaded chunks I guess, and still not despawning.

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
Do check under the altar is there is a regulair whisp spawner, wont be the firsst time that gets overlooked. As for nodes underground.. I never tested that acually. I suspect they cant output whisps, but will use other effects like making rain and creating buffs/debuffs in the area

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
I guess, a teslacoil will do it. although it just kills the wisp, it doesn't solve the problem with the wisp spawning.

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
also, the barrows, or the minidungeons from thaumcraft like shown in the first message always have a huge dark node in them. If one of those is near it willl generate flux and can spread it to a other node

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
If a node's vis is used, it'll start to sap vis from surrounding nodes that're larger. You should be able to see the vis traveling between them as little sparkles.

If there are no larger nodes around then a sapped node has to make do with infused ores (the ores that give you vis shards), and if you've made them, crystal clusters. But you can probably see where I'm going with this: Wander around with the goggles on until you've some idea how many nodes are near spawn (the counter on screen will usually show you how much vis the closest one has, though it sometimes takes a little while to update). This'll also tell you if the wisps are being produced by flux - if they aren't, then odds are there's an actual wisp spawner block somewhere.

But assuming you find flux (in which case, yes, the wisps should be spawning from the exact location of a node), when you know where the smallest node is (or at least, where the goggles always display the lowest vis reading) get something that drains vis and start chewing the stuff up near that node. In theory the vis trails that appear as the node drains vis from all the surrounding nodes should make them each somewhat easier to find.