I live here now

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It's all good, I found it, lol. I had an eye doc appointment this morning and so took the whole day off. I now have cooked meats, thanks to Oniya. That was a really good idea to go with the pumpkins. That's pretty manageable when you can get 4 seeds each.

Wasted a ton of resources today building things I just did not need to build at all. First, I made a couple of gold gears for absolutely no reason, not knowing how many ingots it was taking each time. But I was like whatever, I'll use em eventually. So, next thing on my handy dandy quest book happens to need two gold gears! Clearly it was meant to be. Only, I didn't realize it until after I made it, but it was the same damn hobbyist steam engine that's litterally in every town. That along with the steel plate immersive engineering fiasco, It's hard to to feel like I wasted half of my bonus day.

But, this is not my first fan made hard mode game. I can handle some setbacks. I actually still got a ton done, just nothing with much payoff. But I'm pretty much done with chapter 1 and I think I'm right about to get that assembly table up and running soon. It's been my NEI nemisis for a while now. This will open up a lot.

Including storage. It looks like this is the gate for the drawer controller, and thermal Dynamics stuff. It's so very much time to get organized. Just some basics, though. Compacting drawers are so expensive, it's actually helping me not obsess over the perfect system. I'm just going to start simple and upgrade as I go along, because it's time to pick a school of magic.

I have always wanted to thaumcraft, but botania is calling me. So, naturally that means I'll probably be doing blood magic. I'm open to suggestions, but I'm thinking most likely Thaumcraft for real. Seems like a good time to start, especially before the tech stuff overshadows some of it. WellW see...

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
My 'hobbyist steam engine' lasted through one refueling before I decided to go back to my 'Tower of Power' waterwheel assemblage. It's now more of a back-up, but ensures that my ME system will never go off-line on me.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Funny, that's exactly how I worked my last world, lol. I even called it the tower of power, lol

I only have the thing because of the book. I wasn't thinking, I was just assuming it was a more efficient thing to use so I made it.

It's no biggie, though. Some lost gold mostly. I'll get more.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The Hobbyist steam engine is interesting. Early on it's not particularly good, but it can be fed steam from sources later on if you need just a bit of power for one thing. It works well for things that lose power like the Rolling Machine or the various forestry ones. Since you feed it external steam and disable it with a redstone signal, so you're not burning your own primary power to run them.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That is interesting.

It's good that it will ultimately be useful, but the reason why it sucked was that I can find them in literally every town for free. That gold cost doesn't seem that much, and in the grand scheme of things it really isn't, but right now there are better things I could spend that gold on.

I did take screenshots, btw, but totally forgot to upload them, lol. I'm at work now, so it's too late. But, I did find a baby zombie pigman riding a chicken in my portal room!

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
The Hobbyist steam engine is interesting. Early on it's not particularly good, but it can be fed steam from sources later on if you need just a bit of power for one thing. It works well for things that lose power like the Rolling Machine or the various forestry ones. Since you feed it external steam and disable it with a redstone signal, so you're not burning your own primary power to run them.

Most of my power conduits are the Kinesis Pipes (because recipe weirdness), so I have a visual on what machines are 'chewing' power. About the only machine that uses power without producing something is the Thermionic Fabricator from Forestry. (I rationalize this by the fact that it's got to keep that glass molten somehow.) But as Drbretto said, the only reason I built the thing was to tick it over to 'completed'.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yeah, that was the last thing I built last night, that Thermionic fabricator. Though, it did look like it opened a few things up to me. I'm not sure how it works yet, though. Does it melt the glass, or do I have to supply it melted glass? I tried one recipe and it didn't work, but I was on my way to bed so I didn't get too far into it.

I believe it's the last thing I need to make the assembly table, though. Or whatever it's called with the lasers. THAT opens a bunch of stuff.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Yeah, that was the last thing I built last night, that Thermionic fabricator. Though, it did look like it opened a few things up to me. I'm not sure how it works yet, though. Does it melt the glass, or do I have to supply it melted glass? I tried one recipe and it didn't work, but I was on my way to bed so I didn't get too far into it.

I believe it's the last thing I need to make the assembly table, though. Or whatever it's called with the lasers. THAT opens a bunch of stuff.

You need to put either sand or glass (both work) in the upper left slot to fill the glass reservoir. I usually put it in a stack at a time, because you're going to need a lot of those electron tubes. In the crafting grid, you set up your recipe (usually five things in an inverted T and two redstone). In the bottom inventory, you put in your materials. It will craft the moment it has the materials, 4 tubes per craft. So, if you put in more materials than you need, you'll end up with a spare set of tubes on deck. (This is only really a problem if you've got a scarcity of some item.)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh you know why it wasn't doing anything? I didn't connect any power to it! lol

OK, that's the same read I had on how it would work, though. So maybe if I plug the damn thing in, it'll work :p

Reactions: OniyaMCD

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yo Dawg, I heard you like machines, so I made you build a machine to build a machine to build a machine to build a machine!

This is what I signed up for, and I'm totally having fun with it, but I usually like to mix in some creative stuff along with my tech, and there's just no time for that here at all. So, there's just nothing to really show the progress of. Our base just looks looks like a box full of machines.

But, what I lack in pretty pictures, I make up for in questions:

What do I need to do to make a dolly? It looks like it's asking for some stuff form Steve's Carts, but I'm not seeing in NEI how to actually make that piece?

When can I start doing some automation? Have I missed it? I still can't even make thermal dynamics pipes, I think, and I really want to get something of a sorter set up. I do finally have my drawer controller, but as nice as that can be, until I have pipes, that's manual sorting for good stuff. I wanted to sort my junk by mod. Keeping up with the valuable stuff is easy.

I was really hoping I could do my ME controller by now and almost got excited when it looked like I was right about there... until I looked at the recipe for the wrench... Any chance that wrench is maybe a quest reward later on??

It seems once I set up an assembly table, my options have really opened up but I'm not sure what to work on next.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Heh. No quest rewards. Looks like it's the same recipe as the skyblock for the dolly, and you'll need Reinforced Wheels from Steve's Carts, which are four iron in a + shape around Reinforced Metal. That's made by smelting Stabilized Metal. (You'll need this stuff for the Galgadorian Metal in the Certus Wrench, and the Creative widgets in the end-game.)
28 obsidian
7 diamond
11 iron

Combine the obsidian with the diamond in an X shape (not a + shape) to make 7 Raw Hardeners. These are smelted to make Refined Hardeners. Take 6 of the iron and make iron bars. Five of those and four of the hardeners in a checkerboard arrangement make a Hardened Mesh. Take the remaining 3 Refined Hardeners and put them at the bottom of your crafting grid. Arrange the remaining 5 ingots of iron like a minecart, and stick the Hardened Mesh in the last slot. You'll get 5 Stabilized Metal.

Yeah, sometimes I'm not sure who I'm supposed to be blaming for this stuff. ;)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Thank you for that spoilered part! That will help immensely. It took me a minute because I thought you were describing like one big ritual pattern with all that obsidian and diamond blocks like something out of Runecraft! But I re-read it, that's super helpful!

I do really love this pack so far, though. Don't want to come off as complaining so much as just surprised at some of the steps. I'm holding my own, though, except when I come here for questions :p

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I'm having a blast with it, too. I didn't answer your question on automation, because honestly, my 'automation' in this pack is 'teh suxxors' (as the kids say these days.) I get unduly excited by running a vacuum hopper over a chicken pen to get compost material for dirt.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Well, it is a filterable, high capacity delivery system, capable of bringing goods wherever you want them to go. Plain carts for small areas, electric trains for longer distances or full size steam locomotives for hauling big train loads of things around. Loaders can move exact amounts of items. It's epic.

I haven't used it for a full sorting system, but I did use it for a filtered smelting system, which works just about the same.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'll spend my work day looking this up.

I might actually do it this time! I've already made elevator tracks, btw, so I've dipped my toes in.