I live here now

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
But, let's say it's witherproof. Does that just mean that block won't get blown up, or if you encase the whole thing in them, will that stop the blast from getting through at all?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
But, let's say it's witherproof. Does that just mean that block won't get blown up, or if you encase the whole thing in them, will that stop the blast from getting through at all?
Usually when I see Wither proof blocks, it means the blast doesn't harm those blocks or any blocks/tile-entities behind it. However with Withers I do still feel like Entities (e.g: me) are at least partially impacted by the explosion. YMMV.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm less worried about me and more about whatever mechanism I intend to use to murder it. I've never made a successful wither farm, though, so I don't know if that's relevant or not. But it seems like it would be.

*I* am borderline immortal, lol.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

Totally forgot to post that yesterday. It's quite old compared to how it looks already, lol. But, this is me discovering the awesomeness that is the RFTools builder quarry. Another thing I've read a million people tell me is awesome and I ignored until I was good and ready.

I have spent about 3 billion RF since that video shaping that area even more. It's going to be a cool multistation working area. As you can see, my original platform is getting a bit crowded.

Other half of my day, not shown here yet, is more tower work. I gave up on that lightning rod way too early! Right now, during a storm, it will fairly often keep getting struck before I've cleared out the last one, which makes it pretty close to a consistent 16k per tick when it's stormy, and I'm working on getting rid of those pesky limitations and adding 4 more, so this thing will actually kick out some serious power. I took Monday off, so maybe I'll get something to show there soon.

Tye trick is to raise the steel fences to the build height limit then build a mesh of steel fences on a plane at the top. 256 fences on the top. It's even better if the fence is even taller, and apparently the mesh can work fir multiple rods, so I'm putting 4 more at near bedrock with the fence going allll the way up to the top. This thing could actually dish out some serious energy.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Well, its about the journey, not the destination, so I guess instead of waiting until anything is "done" it's a good time for a progress report. And there's actually quite a bit to show. We hit a bit if a leap in progress since the last one. Even since the last video, too.

For one, I most certainly did give up on the lightning rod too early:

hJ4Lati.png

That's not just peak. Lightning strikes so fast I can nearly sustain that 80k+ for the entire duration of the storm. And I can start a storm whenever, plus time continues to run when I'm offline, so it'll pick up a few billion RF every time it storms whole I'm gone. You'll see in the video just how fast the lightning hits. When you get to it, that part is real-time.

In fact, my biggest limitation is getting the power out of the lightning rod. As fast as I can tell so far, the only thing I've gotten to work to pull the energy out is HV plugs. They do 4k per connection * 4 connections per rod * 5 rods = about 80k max. They each get 16m per strike, outputting 16k per rod, which means it takes 1000 ticks, or 50 seconds, to drain after each hit. Generally it'll get hit again before it runs out, just resetting back to full and it will just push out as fast as it can. If anyone knows a faster way to discharge, let me know...

This is my first try of any of this and it's worked out as expected under this theory, but don't quote me as science. Here's what I figured: the length of the antenna determines how often there's a chance for a strike, and then it rolls a X out of 256 to see if it connects. That X is based on the number of fences connected at the highest level. So, 256 again. The good news is, each of the rids can all be connected to the same mesh at the top so it counts for all of them.

It's extremely effective.

And in the following video, we see it all in action. It starts off with me firing up the quarry to run while I start a storm. We come back to it in the end for a time lapse. Remember all of that used to be solid rock. It's really evolved over the course of this game.

You also get a little peek at my attempt at some wall design. I think the water wheels came out pretty neat looking. Love the colors I found both fir the stone (most onyx and black diamond speckled from Silent's Gems) as well as the chisels patterns, like the rusty metal and how it kind meshes well with the different browns from the water wheel and the dark oak planks, all nicely contrasted by the water.

You also get a quick look at my underground tunnel system. Makes it easier to set up an array of powered lanterns or run anything else I need like cables for my RS wifi. Also good for a quick and easy shortcut.

Anyway, enjoy!

Edit: in the course of one triggered storm, running while that quarry was running, had about as much power left over as it took to dig out all of that, including the off screen stuff, with fortune 3. About 4 billion RF.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Weekend update! Not that anyone watches these but me :p But it also doubles as a test for shaders. I generally prefer it without shaders these days, but once in a while...

Showing some progress in two different areas. First, my underground batcave. It's gotten a lot bigger and I'm starting to expand. I've set up a couple of "islands" I can run some viaducts to. Eventually, I hope this viaduct system runs along everywhere. I have plenty of underground tunnels already built that it can travel along as well. Definitely one of the most fun ways to get around.

I'm also transitioning everything to crystal power. Those tier 2 relays actually go a decent distance and they can look cool if you place them right. I didn't place them right, but theoretically, they can look good :p

Aaand, then there's the Tower of Power as I've been calling it lately. I swear this was supposed to be a weekend project, not a month long mega project. But, we're getting to the home stretch. Every one of those slate blocks is a placeholder. I'm just trying to shape it first, then I'll add the trim once I'm happy. I'm generally happy with the general shape right now, I just need to fine-tune some stuff. Soon!

Despite generating as much power that I thought it would ruin the game, I've just gone and boosted the amount I'm using. I am still generating more than enough to get by, but I absolutely CAN drain this battery if I want to. This will not be the last power system I work on, thankfully. I had it up to nearly 40 billion to start the weekend and managed to finish the weekend at 30b. This is mostly from running the RF Tools builder quarry at max speed (Though, I can't get the items out of there fast enough to be truly max speed yet) as well as the fusion crafting that I've gotten started.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Have you got Translocators in the pack? If not, you might want to add them. Nothing moves items faster.

I don't, but these look pretty neat, I might add them.

But, those 64k storage blocks don't go nearly as far as I was expecting, lol, so I have cut down on my quarrying for now anyway. I still think I can solve it with logic, too. The problem is, it empties fast enough if I just take the servo out, but then it pulls stuff into it, too. If I could figure out how to fix the logic and cut out the unnecessary servos, I might be all set.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
It seems this thread unwatched itself somewhere around Christmas. When I came back, it started me at page one, and of course I had no memory of how far I had read, so I just started reading again from the beginning.

That video with the lightning strikes made me want to build a lightning rod immediately. Badass looking passive power? Yeah, sign me up.

Just one little thing. Where the hell are all the trains?!? Nah, I'm just poking fun. Its coming along nicely, and most importantly, you're having fun with it. Carry on, while I once again peep from the shadows.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Haha, the trains! One of these days, man, lol.

I was going to do a vacation vanilla game once that super duper graphics pack came out, just to check it out. When I do that, I'll have no choice but to do those trains. In the meantime, just way too much going on here, lol.

I do want to hurry up and finish that tower soon. I ended up having to massively expand it when I found out I had to get those steel fences up to max height. Fun fact, in sticking with the golden ratio theme, that sword blade looking thing at one point looked exactly like the empire State building, so I added another layer of complexity, kind of just tried to smooth out the rough edges with more golden ratio, and that whole thing basically formed itself.

I have a habit of not finishing these things up. But, I'm trying to finish that up so I can move on to my world eater concept I posted in the main page. I watched a video on funky locomotion and I think that's going to be the key.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Choo-choo.

Though interestingly, Steve's Carts make pretty good locomotives, especially since you can make them solar powered and never worry about fueling them. The downside then being that the the signalling logic doesn't work on them, since they can't take a ticket.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Honestly, I still very well may have some carts running around my minecolonies village, even if they don't actually really do much of anything. This is still entirely possible to happen. I figure this time since I've spent so much time and effort building my way back to creative mode again (even more so now that I've discovered RS type crafting) that I can let go of the idea that this cart system has to actually be efficient at anything. It does need to offer some kind of token functionality, but if all it does is pull some stuff out of the minecolonies warehouse and bring it to my main storage, eh, that's fine. But there's still hope yet.

The only reason I haven't, really is that I haven't been working on that section. The Tower of Power and my batcave have been the stars of the show lately. Both of which lay a foundation for the rest, though, so it's ok.

I can't wait to see what I can do with Funky Locomotion, though. This is going to be my new favorite thing.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I have a similar problem in most worlds. My imagination is bigger than my free time, so everything is half finished all the time.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yup. And what happens is at a certain point, I've proven to myself that I can do it, and once that happens the drive goes away and it just becomes busy work to finish it up. But, in this case, this tower was supposed to be about making it look nice and polished, so I have to finish. There is't *that* much left to do, though. I just need to start replacing those slate blocks with an attractive pattern of the shaded stone bricks all the way up. I might have it done this weekend.

Edit: Of course, I'm already thinking about the castle that tower will connect to, and how I wil have to use funky loco to make it extra awesome... The work never ends, lol

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Well! Another Saturday well spent. Got a lot done, I think. All underground work this time. Really loving my little batcave these days. To think this was all solid stone when the world started. I've been playing my work eater challenge this whole time and I didn't even know it!

Anyway, first up was the pipe saga that started in the question thread. Everyone who posted about it was a little bit right, including me. A rare event for the internet!

First, everyone is right that TD pipes are just too slow in the end. However, my stubborn ass found a way. It's just barely enough to run everything and it'll still get jammed up for a little but, but I only need to shut it down for like 30 seconds every once in a while.

But, even though I gotta little boost from each tip, the real culprit is the RS system. It'll pump into any of these other containers because the RS input can't keep up. So, I had a bunch of tier 2 AA crates from the original machine, do I added them to the input line as a buffer. Boom, problem solved. That and pulling the cobblestone, replacing the pipes with the faster tier, and redoing the entire logic system to stamp out any loops.

The point is, I win. :p but thanks to everyone here.

And I also accidentally built my first Wither spawner! This wasn't my plan. I was trying to build the RFTools shield projector for my village. Not even because I needed nether stars to build the tier 4 projector- I went farmed a bunch of 'em manually just beforehand. It was because I was testing the projector to see how it works, and I was like what the hell, it's a long shot but let's see if this thing can't take a wither blast!

After that, I just threw this thing together, right at the first place I was just testing it. I could probably fully automate it by pumping in the sand and skulls and using a sequencer, but there's something really satisfying about having a 'push for nether star' button.

Bonus lesson learned today: you can make powered spawners for sheep and cows, too. I needed the wool, so I gave it a shot. Put some mechanical users with sheers in the mob juicer and I'm good to go!

Video finishing up. I'll post in in a few.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

This is one of my favorites so far. I'm getting a much better feel for the camera as time has gone on, and I think this one catches some nice angles.

What was it you called it, @KingTriaxx? Symphony of motion? I think that was a great way to put it.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
My first wither spawner was while trying to keep the rain off my head in the compound I was living in. I didn't have any other way to keep the rain from landing on me, and it was driving me nuts, so I put up the old MFE shielding and realized I'd done something wrong and poof, instant wither spawner.