I live here now

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
To give you an idea of just how accidental it was..

I use always been making the condensed cobblestone just for this purpose, but it was taking too long. So I googled for some wither proof block options and started cooking some reinforced obsidian. That was going to take a few minutes, so I figured I would check out this shield generator while I waited. I don't even know how I would have done it with the obsidian because I wouldn't know how to collect the loot. But, the force field option had that covered, and more. I get to see inside it as it works now, too. Just totally snuck up on me.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I just love Itemducts. Watching things whiz around to their eventual goal is so satisfying.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It is! It's just so much more satisfying to see the items running through.

I guess there is eventually a practical limit to them, so when it comes down to a real Avaritia push (I've only just started with these so far), I might set up an array of quantum quarries with faster pipes or something just for that. But whereever possible, from now until the end of time, I'd rather see the items.

I kinda wish the impulse itemducts weren't yellow, though.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
It is! It's just so much more satisfying to see the items running through.

I guess there is eventually a practical limit to them, so when it comes down to a real Avaritia push (I've only just started with these so far), I might set up an array of quantum quarries with faster pipes or something just for that. But whereever possible, from now until the end of time, I'd rather see the items.

I kinda wish the impulse itemducts weren't yellow, though.

I suppose it could be hard on your framerate eventually. (And if I were confident enough in my graphic-editing abilities, I'd tone down the yellow myself.)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Drbretto you confuse me. I can see no use for 30,000 wool.

You need wool for the RFTools shield protector template blocks. The tier 4 shield projector can run up to 32,768 so I'm going to use the RFTools building to build a huge bubble around my village for protection, then light up everything inside it with powered lanterns to make the whole area 100% spawn proof.

If it wasn't that easy to get that much wool, I'd have just made it an invisible wall all around it, but I think with that much, I can just encase the whole damn thing. There are a lot of flying mobs on this pack.

Overkill? Sure. But, that's what I do!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Welp! As what generally happens after taking a break in a minecraft world, we have moved on to the next one already! I don't have any media for you (Will be screenshots this time around because we're doing 1.7.10 and I need the later versions for ReplayMod) but for today, I'll just set the stage:

By some miracle, I've not only convinced everyone to try Infinity Evolved Expert Mode, but we're actually *crushing it*! Ok, I'm doing the heavy lifting on progression. But we're working as a team everywhere and it's really, really working! I'm temporarily staying with them while I'm waiting to find my next apartment, so in the meantime we're all playing together in the same room. And that, I think, has been the difference.

The other difference is that I've gained a few levels in Mincecraft Setting Configuration since the last time I played 1.7 and I got this thing running better than any 1.10 world I've ever done. This is largely because I've finally relaxed a bit on view distance, but I got the whole thing feeling very smooth. Other than the combat changes being gone and losing my off-hand slot, plus a few other little 1.7 quirks that you get used to quickly, this is running great. Having someone else (FTB) make the server files for me was also a huge help! This was the simplest setup I've ever done. I even found the same texture packs I've been using from 1.10, so this is almost perfect!

Progression is no joke, though! Whew! Hard mode indeed! We're juggling basic setup and normal minecraft settling practices with progression through the book. I'm getting close to completing the first chapter. Should have a blast furnace up and running by the time I get home from work tonight, which means we'll be open up recipes with some Steel finally, which also means we can finally pop into, and likely die, in the nether. The progression like this is great, though. It's like the modpack gets bigger as you go along (and this might ACTUALLY mean that it will be worth it to start doing some stuff with railcraft for a little bit). I don't think I would have liked this progression if not for the book guiding me in the right direction. This has been great.

Tinkers, the mod that was turning some of my teammates away, turned out to be a huge hit. We're actually pretty well suited up at the moment. I've got a nice every-day pickaxe that's got electrum speed, obsidian reinforced, diamond level gathering, auto mending, hasted and getting close to maxed lapis for the luck. We're all decked out in the much harder to make diamond armor (is there some better armor we should be shooting for, though?) with some basic enchantments. I think we're ready to dip into the nether and set up a safe zone.

So much to do right now it's crazy, but I'm really proud of the progress we've made so far. I half expected the team to up and quit on me 2 hours into it, and it was rough going at first. The spawn zone was a ways away from the build zone (great seed, btw), so there was some frustration getting started. But now that we're settled, things are a-cookin'. For a noob, a vanilla builder and me jumping in there blind, we're doing really, really well.

Screenshots tomorrow! Another gorgeous seed. When finding seeds, what I'll typically do is enter some kind of text or a phrase as the seed. I could go random, of course, but there's something about naming the seed before hand that makes it feel more real. You type in, say "A wonderful new world to explore" and you just might get it. So, we tried all kinds of things, and none of the seeds were really all that impressive. Until we found the one. Another gorgeous mountain range with a dozen great places to build.

So, come, follow along with us in our new world! Welcome.... to "Tim's sweaty nutsack"!

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Eventually, you're going to be getting decked out in Wyvern armor, followed by Draconic. Oh, and be prepared to go slightly mad if you're planning on completing the questbook.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I went slightly mad a loooong looong time ago :p
I was partially referring to the effects of Thaumcraft - but I realized that the hoarding aspect is slightly insane as well.

To get all four creative recipes as independent items, you need no fewer than 136080 Magma Creams. Also a few metric tons of glass.

(I have charts. Lots of charts.)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh, I don't even know what I'm getting into there yet. It took us all weekend just to get like 60% of chapter 1 done, lol. I did make my first wand, though! But I want to at least finish up the stuff I'm on now and build a basic storage system before branching off into different things (right now, we're all playing together as an actual team). 136080 magma creams does sound like an awful lot, lol. But I'm sure I can build a spawner for that or something. I hope, lol...

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I find that the drop rate is annoying enough that I prefer to setup one Blaze and one Slime spawner instead of one Magma Slime.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I find that the drop rate is annoying enough that I prefer to setup one Blaze and one Slime spawner instead of one Magma Slime.

Yeah, I've been using a slime spawner from EnderIO. You're going to want a spider spawner too - or Spidery Bees. Combining that with sifted Blaze Powder, and I've got enough on deck for my first two Creative Cells (including the required Eye of Enders) Ghast Tears are my current choke point.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Forgot to take screenshots again, lol. I'm so used to being able to throw together a video after the fact.

But, we are officially inter-dimensional travelers! Actually, it was Rebecca that managed to leave this plane of existence first. She made our Aroma's mining dimension. She's happy because that seems to be a safe place for her to get stuff. I thought it wasn't supposed to spawn structures, but she popped right next to a village. Still, seems like a decent place to mine in peace.

A place not so much at peace, however, is the Nether, which was the dimension I chose to go to for some reason. I did somehow manage to die in the middle of a lava lake with everything I've ever made on me, but putting the crafty back in Minecraft..y, I came up with a trick on the fly to get it out. I built a bridge to the gravestone and dropped columns of sand all around it, giving me a column under the grave to connect some cobblestone underneath, giving me dry, cool land to break my gravestone. I was expecting a huge ordeal, this method worked like a charm.

Haven't found a fortress or anything yet, but I did have to glide over and check out what turned out to be a huge bee hive. Inside was a giant spider that turned into normal size spiders when killed and dropped fiery string or something like that. No idea if that's good for anything, but overall, I was expecting something more interesting inside!

And then I spent like three damn hours trying to find the seeds I need to make the presser to cook my meat, and of course I find everything but the asparagus, which I had plenty of before but ate them because I had no idea I would need them... ugh!

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Haven't found a fortress or anything yet, but I did have to glide over and check out what turned out to be a huge bee hive. Inside was a giant spider that turned into normal size spiders when killed and dropped fiery string or something like that. No idea if that's good for anything, but overall, I was expecting something more interesting inside!

And then I spent like three damn hours trying to find the seeds I need to make the presser to cook my meat, and of course I find everything but the asparagus, which I had plenty of before but ate them because I had no idea I would need them... ugh!

I haven't even braved the Nether yet (although I know I have to at some point. Pigman-farming will be needed). I'm not expecting the Skyblock version to have spider-hives, though.

Agricraft can breed your asparagus from other plants. It's one of the later plants on the tree if you're starting from scratch, but you've got actual worldgen to start from. (Corn and Scallion are the two you need to cross, NEI can give you further info if you need to breed those.)

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Interesting. I've never done any genetics before, but maybe this would be a good time to start. I do have some corn and scallions to work with...

I think part of the problem was that I wasn't looking for the right "gardens" to break out there. I googled it today and I'm expecting to find them quickly. But, if I can't find them right away, I'm doing that!

I can't imagine this on skyblock right now, lol. There's still soooo much left to do as it is, but at least I can go raid villages and whatnot for the components...

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Agricraft genetics are pretty easy - all you need is one of the Seed Analyzers (no power, no real material cost) and lots of sticks. Analyze your parent seeds and plant them on crop sticks, so that they are both adjacent to the same clear block. If you set them diagonally from each other, you can double your 'child sites', or you can just plant them in a line with a space between. Once they are full-grown, put two crop sticks (they'll make a cubic frame) on each 'child site' and wait.

You'll undoubtedly get some corn and some scallions back a few times, but eventually, you'll get an asparagus plant.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Alternately, see if you can make the market from Pam's which will let you buy the seeds. (I'm almost certain the recipe changed, but...)