I live here now

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh, if I did bees, I'd put in all the bee related add-ons right along with it. But that's really for "I Live Here Now 2" in a couple of years. When bees, thaumcraft and buildcraft will all come together again.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Fair enough, though bees are working right now including all add-ons. Still, best to save it to when you've got the time to understand them.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Right, but I want to introduce the bees and thaumcraft/other magic mods together. Right now, my pack focuses entirely on tech so I can devour that line while I wait for the rest to catch up.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

Gettin' around in ILHN. Sometimes the grapple hooks don't render right, but this is all 1:1 time. This is a hard pack getting started, but this is the moment when you become king of your domain.

Also, guess who's back? Shader's back. Trying out KUDA shaders. Not quite as fancy as continuum, but smoother and easier to work with. Might be a keeper.

Edit: Also, I was wrong about the magnetizer being toggleable :( I could have sworn, but maybe I did just do it on the 1.11 pack. I just put it in my backpack, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

Just a condensed 2 hour snippet. Got my mine colony up and running. Got a basic iron backpacks setup, allowing me to clear that whole underground area pretty much in one trip without stopping to dump my inventory. Moderately suited up enough not have to worry too much about anything in my way.

So, game on. The main area you see there is where minecolonies will be. The cave area will be mining and processing with an eventual above-ground factory. Behind both, towards the mountain, will be my castle some day.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
So, I showed 2 hours worth there, obviously I was at it all weekend. Except for the one time where I did my turn on Wii Fit. Other than that real world distraction, I was glued to the screen. This world is just starting to take off. No crashes or bugs for anyone all weekend, things are really shaping up.

I never did get around to uploading the pack to twitch yet. Too busy playing. That and I don't really totally know how, but I'll figure it out. I just spent a month planning out this pack, though, and this weekend was the first time I've been able to just get in there a play it.

And man, I did a lot. I have progressed a lot more than it looks like in that video. It doesn't capture all the time mining (though, the big empty cave gives you an idea). There's just a little further to go before the focus is back to actually building. Right now, I'm still gearing up and getting situated.

I am taking mental notes of the personal improvement part of the pack. I've taken note of my people complaining about getting killed by the wildlife too much, then I notice they're sitting there in unenchanted iron and don't even have a grappling hook. Granted, being the designer of the pack, I have a huge leg up, but I think I honestly need to do an HQM that walks the player through the early game setup basics. The wildlife is mostly there to flesh out the world, but it's also to have something worth using your upgraded gear on. There is a zombie in my basement in full armor, with thorns, that's also a blight with super speed. I can't kill it. I'm looking forward to upgrading and kicking its butt. To get people to understand the idea, I do think I need a whole HQM chapter on gearing up.

I finally bred some domesticated animals. I do think that it was a good idea to cut Animania at least for now. But I still have a mod that makes it so you have to breed about 4 generations of wild animal before you get domesticated animals that don't fight back and actually lay eggs or let you milk them. This is perfect because the mechanics don't change, which is fine, the idea isn't to make it more work for no reason. But it does make you actually have to earn your livestock. And the milk and eggs are gates for iron backpacks and drill augments, so it pushes you to make a real working farm. That's the idea, because lately all I've really done is explore and kill/shave what I need along the way, skipping the farm altogether. But, that's what this pack is for. You wake up naked in a strange, dangerous land and you need to outpace it with your own man-made inventions. First step is going to be to build a little camp with a farm, right? It makes sense. This part is working really well so far.

So, speaking of eggs and milk being gates, getting eggs let me set up basic nested backpacks. Like last time, I have a bag for mining, a bag for silents gems, and a building blocks bag. I'm going to find out soon if I can make the building blocks bag work with compression and decompression upgrades to automatically condense cobblestone and dirt, then automatically un-condense as it keeps the bar filled. I don't know if that will work or not, but I'ma try! Right now, it just picks up random building blocks for me. Now that I have milk, which is right where I left off last night, with domesticated cows, I can bake a cake and get a faster drill.

Over the rest of the week, I will finish upgrading my drill and backpack system, and build myself a fully upgraded Dark Steel suit before we just go ahead and focus on exploration and building. But we're almost there!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ugh, Thorns. If ever there was an argument for crush traps, Thorns is it.

I always thought it was a bit easy to get some of the animals to follow you. Sounds like it's a bit more challenging. I definitely prefer exploration in my packs, if only because I'm not a terrific builder.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
There's still plenty to explore, don't you worry. Recurrent complex keeps getting more stuff or at least stuff I've still seeing for the first time, and you'll see some on the next video. Plus I have a bunch of structure generating mods. I don't know how much I'd have to tweak the loot or if most of these things would set themselves, but there's plenty of valuable prizes to find out there, too.

I made the biomes somewhere between normal and large, which is just big enough to spread things out. You get a lot of ways to get around quick, and ways to get back there.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I wonder if you can use a name tag on a hostile mob. I don't want my little nemesis there to despawn. I could kill it with my brain, but I need to kill it in one on one melee combat. That platform is chunk loaded, does that change the equation? Does that maybe act like a player is there, therefore it never gets far enough from a player to despawn?

I think it'd be fun to do a little mini action flick...

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I wonder if you can use a name tag on a hostile mob. I don't want my little nemesis there to despawn. I could kill it with my brain, but I need to kill it in one on one melee combat. That platform is chunk loaded, does that change the equation? Does that maybe act like a player is there, therefore it never gets far enough from a player to despawn?

Name tags should prevent despawning. Just make sure it’s named to be sure.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017

You can name tag hostile mobs. It also prevents them from being in the mob count.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
My little nemesis is still there! And he's killed me about 8 times. Here's the weird thing, though... It's the only mob down there that doesn't ever despawn. My base is far enough away from my bed that if I die down there, the mobs that kill me are despawned by the time I get back. I was killed down there last night by a fire ogre, another group of zombies, a flying death horse and my nemesis. Every time I died, everything but the nemesis despawned. He's been there for 3 days. No name tag. I wonder if it's just the "blight" property it has.

Either way, the thing can just about one-shot me without armor. The only reason it can't is because I have gotten a few heart containers, so I have 5 extra. One hit knocks me from full to 2 hearts. With full unenchanted diamond, it takes about 5 or 6 hits. He's got about 80 hearts. He's in full gold armor, enchanted, and has blight status which gives him super speed. My silent's gems sword (basic) hits him for 1 point of damage on a good hit. For every point of damage I do to it, it hurts me as well.

And I can't mine down there until he's dead. Guess it's time to gear up. This guy will be a good test. I just built an empowerer, so I can start making the higher tier silent's gems weapons. I can also add some enchants, like the ones that add magic damage to cut through that armor. Some life steal so I can last a bit longer (not to mention some protection on my armor) and I should be able to take him out without too much trouble.

I love that I'm this far into the game and there are still challenges like that, though. I mean, how many times have you been bullied by a single zombie?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
My little nemesis is still there! And he's killed me about 8 times. Here's the weird thing, though... It's the only mob down there that doesn't ever despawn. My base is far enough away from my bed that if I die down there, the mobs that kill me are despawned by the time I get back. I was killed down there last night by a fire ogre, another group of zombies, a flying death horse and my nemesis. Every time I died, everything but the nemesis despawned. He's been there for 3 days. No name tag. I wonder if it's just the "blight" property it has.

Either way, the thing can just about one-shot me without armor. The only reason it can't is because I have gotten a few heart containers, so I have 5 extra. One hit knocks me from full to 2 hearts. With full unenchanted diamond, it takes about 5 or 6 hits. He's got about 80 hearts. He's in full gold armor, enchanted, and has blight status which gives him super speed. My silent's gems sword (basic) hits him for 1 point of damage on a good hit. For every point of damage I do to it, it hurts me as well.

And I can't mine down there until he's dead. Guess it's time to gear up. This guy will be a good test. I just built an empowerer, so I can start making the higher tier silent's gems weapons. I can also add some enchants, like the ones that add magic damage to cut through that armor. Some life steal so I can last a bit longer (not to mention some protection on my armor) and I should be able to take him out without too much trouble.

I love that I'm this far into the game and there are still challenges like that, though. I mean, how many times have you been bullied by a single zombie?
Dang.

Thing is, this emergent story stuff is the kind of thing you'll be talking about for ages after! :D What you were saying about your nemesis reminded me strongly of the issues we had with some of the mobs in Material Energy 3 - I think some were fishing mobs and really high level, and those Alan B'Stards were just SO BLOODY TOUGH. Makes me smile just thinking about it, which tells you something :)

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yes! This is already becoming a story. It reminds me of all the 80's and 90's kung fu movies where there was that one big guy that's practically invincible that the main character has to beat up before the end of the movie. The Kung Fu movie penultimate mini-boss before the main character makes quick work of the weasel calling the shots.

This is going to be a fun video, I think. Or not, because it's minecraft combat, lol.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Heliodor Sword then, because those look awesome, in addition to being powerful. (I don't think it's the most powerful, but it's the easiest to find in my experience.)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
vRcg8Pg.jpg

Even the game knew it was my nemesis! Lol

Unfortunately, that fight ended too boring to even fake an action scene, but I promised you some sweet sweet Minecraft combat action, so I went out and picked a few fights.

There was much more I wanted to do with it, but the replay recording thing makes it difficult under certain conditions. So the following video you're about to see, for example, was the first time I was able to see any of it in motion. I had to kinda guess where I'd be and whatnot. If I were to record from a fresh session, I could have added more John wu / matrix like action scenes (which are kind of hilarious on Minecraft's simple combat) it this was all 3 hours into a session, so if I wanted to preview it, it takes 10 minutes every time.

Anyway, under the circumstances, it came out well enough.

Well, I enjoy making them anyway, lol

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Two videos for the price of one this weekend! Some good stuff, too. Busy busy!

First up is an attempt at exploring. This really messes with the recording software, as you can see, so I will have to do this kind of thing differently in the future. But, its still worth a watch. Found a little dungeon thing at the end if it. And you better believe I mined every bit of that glowstone afterwards.

And then, my underground batcave. It has been featured in a few of these vids already and thus won't be the last time either. It's undergone some changes.

As you can see, technology wise, I have gained a level or two. The entire base runs on a single canola farm on the surface, and it only goes through fermenting barrels, nothing more. Right now it's generating about 500 per tick. That's fine, it's just running the base.

Im in full dark steel batsuit, with two 16m RF batteries that need charging, so I've built myself a wireless charger to keep refreshed at all times. This is Uber convenient.

But not as Uber convenient as that compact Auto-Sort 9000! It's just so beautifully simple and does so much in such a small place. The video shows me just running around clearing large bits of my mine. I'm reinventing mining on this pack, I'm digging a great big hole and leaving it mice and messy for a neat, ever changing background. Gotta do something like this because it's underground and that's usually boring. Not anymore, now mining is fun. I fight mobsters while I'm out there. I've felt no need for a mob spawner.

But, anyway, I'm out there with a 5x5 mining, fortune 3 AA drill with 32.5 million RF on my person. I would love to tell you what kind of haul that gets me, but I was too close to my base so it kept me topped up. I will record a full dump, though. With a total loot count for the trip. For science. I think I used up about a million and a half on this video, for reference.

Anyway, the machine, oh, boy do I love it. Thermal dynamics is a damn pleasure to work with. I had it half mastered in no time and I've got that thing pushing and pulling things all over. That is the fastest system I've ever put together and I had. O design plan at all. In fact, I was just experimenting with thermal dynamics for the first time and that all just happened.

So, here's what it does in that little package: first, I have and ender pouch that sits in my iron backpack system. I can dump anything in there from anywhere in the world and clear put my inventory. Which I really don't need to do often because of my bags, but when I do, i can do it from anywhere.

From the ender chest, items will go to the only crate without a retriever by default, but certain ores that need to be crushed regularly get sent directly to their crates that feed those machines via the farthest option.

First, the SAG mills. Each is full of dark steel balls for maximum efficiency. The machine pulls from the barrel, 8 at a time on a round Robin patterns it makes use of all 4 machines and doesn't just favor one. If it pushes too many, they will loop back into the box over and over until there is room. These machines output to "nearest" so any common items that need to be s melted go straight into that system and the rest splits back off to the beginning to start over.

For the dusts that need cooking, they work the same way as the SAG mills, 8 units at a time in round Robin format with a spillover loop, only these output to farthest so the ingots bypass the mod filters for the compacting drawers. Everything else gets sent back to the beginning.

You, of course, can manually crush or cook en masse by filling their respective barrels.

Back at the beginning, everything else has been funneled into the only free crate. These crates hold 234 stacks, btw. A lot more space than they look. And 15 out of 16 of them have mod filtered golden retrievers that pull anything from their own mods into their crates from the hodgepodge barrel, automatically sorting everything for me, even new items that haven't dropped yet.

This thing can't handle a quantum quarry, but it's perfect for mid game. And it is just so beautiful that it can do all that, basically all connected to the same line. It's so efficient. I absolutely love it.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Great sorting system. I would make a recommendation though. Get some drawers with upgrades. The crates can hold 234 stacks each, which is great for ingots and gems but for things such as cobblestone and gravel they quickly fill up.