I live here now

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like you need to add RailCraft to the pack in order to expedite delivery from the second oil well. ;)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
You're gonna mentally punch me for this, but not only did I not set up anything railcraft for the last pack as I led you to believe I would, I also totally added in ender chests to shortcut that process, and I will definitely do the same thing on this pack as well. More accurately, ender tank connected to a pump in the nether to heat the oils and whatnot. But, that's because this pack is supposed to be a quick run. I'll have the extra oil in some ExU2 drums.

Next pack, the bigger one I'm putting together, will probably feature all of the cliches because I'm kinda late to the game and I haven't burned out on them yet, but I really DO want to finally feature some railcraft awesomeness if even for aesthetic purposes. I will still have the ender chests mod because I use it for recursive sorting and processing as well as interdimensional transportation (also makes a great "mailbox" to give things to my friends), but if my next world doesn't have autonomous carts moving things around all over the place in the background all the time, then I have failed as a minecrafter.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just teasing you. I've said I "...have big plans for RailCraft" and "...will be making a concerted effort to get into RailCraft fully" for the last half dozen worlds or so. It's such a great idea, but by the time my industrial age would support a rail system, other - easier - options are available. Did I mention that I'm lazy? Yeah, you're not alone in wanting to give RailCraft some love, but never following through on it.

Maybe next world...

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
My twenty thousand blocks of track and dozen trains would like to say Choo-choo. I'll also note that you can do analog wireless redstone with Railcraft, which is just stupendously cool to me.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

Here's the first update for the minipack. The new guy build that pyramid back there. This is the first time he's seen anything with moving parts, so I think he's starting to get the idea.

He ain't seen nothing yet, though. While recording this one, all I did was take my quarry end game goal and expand on it. Itll make for a neat video, but it's gonna be a lot more work.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015

Here's the first update for the minipack. The new guy build that pyramid back there. This is the first time he's seen anything with moving parts, so I think he's starting to get the idea.

He ain't seen nothing yet, though. While recording this one, all I did was take my quarry end game goal and expand on it. Itll make for a neat video, but it's gonna be a lot more work.
Do you know what? The more I think about it, the more I think Buildcraft is actually really not a bad place to start on learning modded minecraft! :) It has pipes. Yes, so do many others, but these are nice and simple, and quite intuitive. Take the diamond pipe: you want stuff to go somewhere, you look at the pipe for the direction you want it to go, and filter with that colour. When it comes to more complex systems later, getting the hang of that - particularly, both the mechanics and the pitfalls if you AREN'T careful - puts you in good stead.

Likewise pumping stuff out! You need a thing to pump stuff out, and you need a redstone signal. If that's off, things aren't pumped. That basic level of understanding is key for things like servos later on, and also engines - the better the engine, the faster/higher number the pumping - again, analogous to servos or upgrades. Quartz, and later gold pipes - more expensive, but faster - just like many other mods. Its getting the right idea of how a lot of these things work into their head. Setting up a BC piping system is also quite good practice for being disciplined with how you arrange your pipes (so you don't get things in places they shouldn't be), as well as discovering the benefits of different types of pipes (like I did when discovering the usefulness of things like clay and sandstone pipes).

Reactions: Drbretto

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Plus it has it's own self-contained power generation system, meaning it's not at all reliant on any other mod, but at the same time compatible with most. (Or was, I haven't played with the new version yet.)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
What I like about buildcraft as a learning tool is that it makes a progression out of pipes and power itself. Future mods may have made pipes easier to work with, but they're for once you're taking pipes for granted.

Buildcraft was one of the first one that did what it does, and as a result, it's progression IS the pipes itself. And it helps that you can see the items going through them, and that they don't just know where to go. You have to think.

Power, same thing. It's all about pumping and refining that oil into more efficient forms. Nowadays, you can just pick your favorite energy source and run with it. That's because those mode are all about how to apply those pipes and power sources, while buildcraft focuses more specifically on the base concepts.

Plus, that symphony of motion. Watching the items go through those pipes is pretty satisfying. Especially if you're just learning.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I really like about BC is the diamond pipe. I don't know of any other pipe/duct that allows you to distribute items with weighted probabilities.

Very handy for using the same input resource for various outputs. Like you might want 1/2 to go one way, 1/3 another way and the last 1/6 yet another.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
We're on!

Everything you see here is just my plot. I am in love with it. I live here now.

I had to Nerf it a bit. Took out Grimoire of Gaia. Even after nerfing the spawn rate, I died literally 50 times before I could build my first torch. Sirens with they arrows, nagas with their super speed and like radar vision. This pack is difficult enough getting started with monsters everywhere, this just doesn't fit. So it's out. But, I replaced it with Ender Zoo, and it's perfect.

So far, this pack feels really inspired. I'm really happy with it so far. It's beautiful. Sights and sounds. And scenery, as you can see.

The Rick formation next to my little camp us ground zero. I in everything to the south. The other two own the west and east, shading north but no hard borders. We will build out from that rock. I will hollow the rock out and make it a portal room.

That's all I got for now. More details tomorrow.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
This may be my best looking plot yet. There are so many amazing angles here. Not all of them in the video.

This is gonna be neat.

And you're all gonna love the new guy. Trust me. Not only him, but we might expand to a couple of his friends. We might all go in on the hardware to put together my in dedicated private server. 200 per person. What kind of rig can I build with that? How many players can I support? Talking Cadillac options per player. I'd love to increase view distance, too.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Man, my plot is so pretty I don't even wanna build on it.

But, I am going to. And I hereby SWEAR I will have autonomous minecarts moving supplies around my camp this time! Every station will have minecarts taking inventory in and out of there all the time, just to see it happen. It's happening this time! lol

Reactions: KingTriaxx

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Man, my plot is so pretty I don't even wanna build on it.

But, I am going to. And I hereby SWEAR I will have autonomous minecarts moving supplies around my camp this time! Every station will have minecarts taking inventory in and out of there all the time, just to see it happen. It's happening this time! lol

Don't mind me. I just wanted to quote you on that. :p