I have a question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
I believe it's a combination of things.

1. Smaller Requisites. RF doesn't rely on the presence of a single, big mod. MJ does.
  2. Code Efficiency. From what I understand,RF is transmitted in a more "server-friendly' manner than MJ. (Depending on pipes)
  3. Ease of Use. RF is easier to code into mods than MJ( need confirmations!)
  4. Cross Compatibility. So many mods now support RF that it's become the new standard, meaning more mods use RF. (Critical mass)

ax1m

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt EU will go, because it works radically different to RF. RF is a 1-dimensional power system, while EU is 2-dimensional making it much closer to the way real world electricity works (think voltage and amperage).

Reactions: mike3543

mike3543

Jul 29, 2019
Good point but they both basically have the same energy system. Other then that gregtech adds a huge number of things.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The average players have never really liked having multiple types of power. They usually picked a generator that has the best production and cheapest fuel then converted it to what they needed EU/RF/MJ. At that point everything becomes RF.

Either way MJ became RF becasue they where essentially functioned the same only difference being BC had perdition.
EU however won't change, as it would be pointless as IC2 is becoming more and more irrelevant with every iteration, converting to RF wouldn't help nor hinder it.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I heard rumors that the MJ API kept changing (and/or was overcomplicated) so it was a pain to keep up to date with it

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I heard rumors that the MJ API kept changing (and/or was overcomplicated) so it was a pain to keep up to date with it
I believe this was something to do with MJ originally being able to power RF stuff, then they decided "NO WE DON'T WANT THAT" and changed that 'bug', but I remember near the end of 1.6.4 I could do that (again?) and in 1.7 I dunno what happened before buildcraft just went "why not"

I think the change came about because it is easier to use a different API than keep up on your own API. Especially when the API you are moving to is more popular, has more support, and is getting less flak than the current one.

The average players have never really liked having multiple types of power. They usually picked a generator that has the best production and cheapest fuel then converted it to what they needed EU/RF/MJ. At that point everything becomes RF.

Either way MJ became RF becasue they where essentially functioned the same only difference being BC had perdition.
EU however won't change, as it would be pointless as IC2 is becoming more and more irrelevant with every iteration, converting to RF wouldn't help nor hinder it.
I fully support the death of IC2 and EU. It is becoming an ever more pointless mod, and they are just adding random stuff to it, but nothing that makes me want to use it over something from an RF powered mod. If they said "Screw it, this is IC3 then I may not hate on the mod as much, but they insist on calling it IC2 still, when it has moved SO FAR away from what IC2 was back in 1.2/1.4/1.5(?) that it is stupid to say it is IC2-exp. It's not experimental, it works. It's just not the same mod we used to enjoy. It has become more Gregged than it once was (pulverizer changes, plates, etc.), and I for one don't like it. I don't see the point in it, and I could rant about it for days....

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
and I could rant about it for days....
Do we still have the rant thread going? :p

I agree that some of the new things in IC2 are pointless, but I won't say it's been Gregged just because of the plates. I haven't really used IC2 since 1.6 so I'm doing it right now to have some diversity from RF.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
Well I started to play with mods just as RF was released so I never played with MJ or EU.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Well I started to play with mods just as RF was released so I never played with MJ or EU.
Aren't you lucky :D
MJ and EU were around in 1.5 and 1.6 (when RF was released) so if you played with Buildcraft (before 1.7) or IC2 (ever) then you have played with either energy system. MJ was a PITA to get as there was no "Big Reactors" sort of thing for MJ, only the engines from BC/Forestry/Railcraft... and they weren't the best. As for EU, I believe everyone just used MJ/RF and converted it to EU, because EU generators were crap, unless you had advanced solar panels :p

Also, something that was fun to do, power everything off of Blutricity (from RedPower 2) - Blueletric Engine -> MJ machines + MJ-Eu converter -> Eu machines... Very inefficient, but being able to power everything off of bluetricity, which was a pointless energy system, as not much used it, was a fun project :p

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
Aren't you lucky :D
MJ and EU were around in 1.5 and 1.6 (when RF was released) so if you played with Buildcraft (before 1.7) or IC2 (ever) then you have played with either energy system. MJ was a PITA to get as there was no "Big Reactors" sort of thing for MJ, only the engines from BC/Forestry/Railcraft... and they weren't the best. As for EU, I believe everyone just used MJ/RF and converted it to EU, because EU generators were crap, unless you had advanced solar panels :p

Also, something that was fun to do, power everything off of Blutricity (from RedPower 2) - Blueletric Engine -> MJ machines + MJ-Eu converter -> Eu machines... Very inefficient, but being able to power everything off of bluetricity, which was a pointless energy system, as not much used it, was a fun project :p
Well I did once set up a wooden extraction pipe to a void pipe with a red stone engine... .xD

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
MJ was a PITA to get as there was no "Big Reactors" sort of thing for MJ, only the engines from BC/Forestry/Railcraft...
Any nobody wanted to have the risk of combustion engines exploding...it happens when the water supply is in another chunk and it's not chunkloaded.
I always hated how little the EU generators produced compared to the consumption of overclocked machines. I really hate spamming engines.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Any nobody wanted to have the risk of combustion engines exploding...it happens when the water supply is in another chunk and it's not chunkloaded.
I always hated how little the EU generators produced compared to the consumption of overclocked machines. I really hate spamming engines.

makes me remember the watermill generators of IC that were automated by RedPower. deployers would fill water buckets, the water buckets would get send through tubes to watermills which would empty the buckets and produce EU, the tubes then would extract the empty buckets and send them back to the deployer

and those goddamn combustion engines, I've seriously raged with those damn things when they exploded, because it would always happen when you're not near them and you'd come back and go "WTF JUST HAPPENED!?!?!"

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
The MJ API was a broken mess. CovertJaguar's changes in 1.5.2/1.6.2 caused a giant fallout because he essentially enforced BC mechanics on all mods using the MJ API, which was a terrible decision in retrospect; and the SpaceToad-led rewrite of the MJ API in BC 6.0 was a giant, kludgy mess that barely even worked and was very inefficient performance-wise. We decided that it's better to just go RF than make what would essentially be another RF.

...at least, for now.