I Derp, You Derp, We all Derp, What's your's?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing in some cases people might refer to the BC tank as a "vanilla" tank as I think BC is one of the first mods to do the whole liquid tank thing, so the BC tank is essentially the "original" tank. So it's a "vanilla" Buildcraft tank rather than, say, a Railcraft tank.

Although at this point liquid manipulation is ingrained into Forge and many mods implement liquid manipulation and tanks, so at this point Buildcraft is just another mod with liquid manipulation.

As an analogy, the vanilla Furnace is the "original" furnace, and other furnaces are a variation on the vanilla furnace.

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, Cauldrons are the vanilla tank.
They don't use the same mechanics, though.

Cauldrons just hold a data value from 0-3 to indicate fullness. Thus it can store liquids (well, only water) but don't work the way that tanks from Buildcraft, Railcraft, Thermal Expansion, etc. work. Cauldrons don't have millibuckets or the ability to store arbitrary liquids.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Picky, picky.

Still ...
Meh. Not only was it not a true fluid tank, the only way to actually get water out of it was by hand, and the only way to transport it is by walking yourself. Even then, it didn't really have use; why use a finite cauldron when you can have an infinite water source? Plus it could only ever store one out of the two types of fluid there are, which every other tank CAN do.
Buildcraft tanks added USES for fluids and ways to store and transport them. As far as I know (I wasn't playing back then), that was the very first time anyone looked at fluids in MC that way, therefore earning it the right to be called the "vanilla" tank.
Of course, that whole topic is rather menial, so you can take that with a grain of salt. :p

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
I'll give you a slight snippet of my MT code and guess what's wrong...
Code:
val furnace = <minecraft:furnace>;

furnace.remove(redstoneIngot);
furnace.addRecipe(redstoneIngot * 1, redstoneBlock, 0.5);

Reactions: GreekAnalyzer

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
That's not how adding/removing furnace recipes works is it? Not by working with an itemstack of a furnace huh?

Reactions: Type1Ninja