I dared my best friend ruin my life - Mafia Edition [GAME THREAD]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If we knew that all roles were in the game, I would solidly agree with you. However, taking a gamble on a role not being in the game in order to generate an alibi kinda fits what I see as your MO. My hypothesis for my vote is simple.

Your claim is uncontradicted because there exists no Detective Hernandez who would contradict it. With the number of players confirming that some roles are not in the game, forgive me for not taking every uncontested claim at face value.

In fact, the tone of your response matches your tone from the TTT werewolf game, where you were dismissive and mocking of all my posts and arguments. That game you flipped scum. Well done Pyure, you actually provided my vague suspicion with some corroborating evidence. Much obliged.
I dispute your tone match. I'll also clarify that you're terribly wrong: It is NOT my MO to gamble my wolf team on a gambit such as "gee I hope nobody else got this role."

I'll point out one other thing: I am announcing my role not for the benefit of town, but for the benefit of wolves. I don't care what town thinks, I can talk my way out of lynches. But I get killed N1 way too much, and I can't do anything about murders.

That said: If you're town, its your loss. You know I absolutely love pointing it out when you screw up.

That's not really consistent logic, considering that the second m comes out of nowhere.
Though, to go with it, how do you pronounce it? Muther or mother? Both English and Americans (as far as I know) pronounce it as the former, hence the use of the u when it's contracted. However, in all honesty it doesn't matter. Language evolves in irrational ways, so you can't really apply a system of logic to it that works 100% of the time.
Its only very specifically consistent with your comment that (north) americans can't spell mum/mom "correctly". Like you eventually said, its all irrational.

Reactions: Bigdbigd03

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
That's not really consistent logic, considering that the second m comes out of nowhere.
Though, to go with it, how do you pronounce it? Muther or mother? Both English and Americans (as far as I know) pronounce it as the former, hence the use of the u when it's contracted. However, in all honesty it doesn't matter. Language evolves in irrational ways, so you can't really apply a system of logic to it that works 100% of the time.

Mother

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Vote tally:
  • Pyure (2) <- RJS, SE
  • Robin <- Erin
  • Vike (2) <- Robin, Frags
  • Shaz <- Vike
  • Frags <- Shaz
  • Scottly <- Nojr
  • Nojr (2) <- Scottly, J
  • RJS <- Pyure
Everyone has voted.

I'm completely uncertain who to vote on right now. I thought RJS' attack was justified, however Pyure's defense makes sense.
Why Nojr is even on risk of being lynched, I have no idea...
Vike, I think you somewhat redeemed yourself, so to keep you away from the guillotine:

Antismite The_J

I realize that I am an utterly useless player right now and that I should be ashamed of myself.

I should have some time tomorrow just before day's end to evaluate potential further developments.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm completely uncertain who to vote on right now. I thought RJS' attack was justified, however Pyure's defense makes sense.
RJS's attack was bullcrap. If I didn't care so little, I'd mount an unholy anti-mafia war on him.

He's omgusing me because he's too lazy to evaluate my claim, evaluate my counter argument, and switch his vote. And he hates townies and puppies and nice things.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I dispute your tone match. I'll also clarify that you're terribly wrong: It is NOT my MO to gamble my wolf team on a gambit such as "gee I hope nobody else got this role."

I'll point out one other thing: I am announcing my role not for the benefit of town, but for the benefit of wolves. I don't care what town thinks, I can talk my way out of lynches. But I get killed N1 way too much, and I can't do anything about murders.

That said: If you're town, its your loss. You know I absolutely love pointing it out when you screw up.

Its only very specifically consistent with your comment that (north) americans can't spell mum/mom "correctly". Like you eventually said, its all irrational.
Don't worry mate, it was only a joke :p

Reactions: Pyure

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
RJS's attack was bullcrap. If I didn't care so little, I'd mount an unholy anti-mafia war on him.

He's omgusing me because he's too lazy to evaluate my claim, evaluate my counter argument, and switch his vote. And he hates townies and puppies and nice things.

Okiedoke, let's break it down shall we? Too lazy to evaluate your claim? Dude I was defending you until you made that claim. My evaluation of your claim is literally the only reason my vote is on you. As for evaluating your counter argument...

I dispute your tone match. I'll also clarify that you're terribly wrong: It is NOT my MO to gamble my wolf team on a gambit such as "gee I hope nobody else got this role."[/QUOTE]
It does fit your MO as a wolf to try and make yourself a central pillar of town effort. To try and make yourself seem confirmed. And even if this goes south, there is no guarantee that you would gamble the entire team. Just yourself. If your role had a fairly inconsequential power it's a gambit that I believe you would take, whilst instructing the rest of your team to in now way endorse you if things went south.

If you can talk your way out of a lynch, my vote is surely meaningless, no? One vote does not a lynch make.

I fail to see how this is in any way a loss to the town even if you tell the truth to be honest. What would you rather I do? Switch my vote and lynch somebody who, by your own admission, is more likely to be a townie than you are? How is that a better scenario for me as a townie? In the absence of somebody whose posts reek of wolf, you are a better target for me than anybody else. After all, a town player would never work with the wolves, whereas you have every incentive to in an attempt to save your skin from a murder. Face it Pyure, publically announcing yourself set up an ideal scenario where a wolf could contact you privately and instruct you to work with them on pain of death. You aren't so selfless as to refuse such an offer.

So to summarise my refutation: I do not 100% believe your role claim, and feel that you may be a wolf. Regardless of whether that turns out to be right or wrong, in the current scenario you are still in my eyes the top pick to be lynched, because it is 100% chance of lynching a non-town compared to a pretty good chance of lynching a town. Cold hearted I know, but them's the breaks.

So sorry to tear your 'omgus' strawman apart and burn it to pieces, but I have a very coherent structure underpinning my reasoning for voting for you. If you have anything further to say as a counter to my counter to your counter to my counter to your claim, I look forward to it with interest. Until then, toodle pip.

P.S. Mum's the word :p

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Okay I tend to not pay attention to the day one shenanigans because while sometimes useful stuff happens its usually a lot like goats butting heads.
I'm not reading too much into anything in particular, but Pyure is a little meh right now. Something tells me he's playing something...

Oh wait its werewolf. Anyway I think he's lying.

Also:
I watched the rest. I laughed. Someday I should watch them all.

And its mom btw. Sorry brits.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Okiedoke, let's break it down shall we? Too lazy to evaluate your claim? Dude I was defending you until you made that claim. My evaluation of your claim is literally the only reason my vote is on you. As for evaluating your counter argument...

It does fit your MO as a wolf to try and make yourself a central pillar of town effort. To try and make yourself seem confirmed. And even if this goes south, there is no guarantee that you would gamble the entire team. Just yourself. If your role had a fairly inconsequential power it's a gambit that I believe you would take, whilst instructing the rest of your team to in now way endorse you if things went south.

If you can talk your way out of a lynch, my vote is surely meaningless, no? One vote does not a lynch make.

I fail to see how this is in any way a loss to the town even if you tell the truth to be honest. What would you rather I do? Switch my vote and lynch somebody who, by your own admission, is more likely to be a townie than you are? How is that a better scenario for me as a townie? In the absence of somebody whose posts reek of wolf, you are a better target for me than anybody else. After all, a town player would never work with the wolves, whereas you have every incentive to in an attempt to save your skin from a murder. Face it Pyure, publically announcing yourself set up an ideal scenario where a wolf could contact you privately and instruct you to work with them on pain of death. You aren't so selfless as to refuse such an offer.

So to summarise my refutation: I do not 100% believe your role claim, and feel that you may be a wolf. Regardless of whether that turns out to be right or wrong, in the current scenario you are still in my eyes the top pick to be lynched, because it is 100% chance of lynching a non-town compared to a pretty good chance of lynching a town. Cold hearted I know, but them's the breaks.

So sorry to tear your 'omgus' strawman apart and burn it to pieces, but I have a very coherent structure underpinning my reasoning for voting for you. If you have anything further to say as a counter to my counter to your counter to my counter to your claim, I look forward to it with interest. Until then, toodle pip.

P.S. Mum's the word :p
I'm not even reading all this. I skimmed it, its mostly random blather.

If you want to try to give wolves a free kill, do what you like. I've already done my part. I've also done it in proper non-wolf fashion. Any town members who lynch me at this point are doing it because they screwed up, not because I did.

I can't actually make you act like town. You are either a drunk wolf or a bafflingly obtsuse villager. I can't make a winning case to either party.

Btw, yes, @Shazam08, this is my way of saying "anyone who lynches me is really stupid and I'm going to laugh in their face." I'm not even going to be subtle about it.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019

If you want to try to give wolves a free kill, do what you like. I've already done my part. I've also done it in proper non-wolf fashion. Any town members who lynch me at this point are doing it because they screwed up, not because I did.

I can't actually make you act like town. You are either a drunk wolf or a bafflingly obtsuse villager. I can't make a winning case to either party.

Btw, yes, @Shazam08, this is my way of saying "anyone who lynches me is really stupid and I'm going to laugh in their face." I'm not even going to be subtle about it.
So how am I not acting like a town by taking aim at '100% not villager' instead of '30% not villager'? The points are pretty clear.

1. You claim that you do not want to be murdered at night. Therefore the wolves have the means to blackmail you, which means that as far as I can see you're a wolf vote, not a town vote.
  2. Nobody else has outed themselves as super wolf candidate. Sorry not sorry.
  3. The fact that you've failed to counterargue means, in my eyes, that you have no counter. In short, you cannot dispute what I have said, so you have been forced to belittle it.
  4. The above points are based on an assumption that you are not in fact lying through your enlarged canine teeth.
If your view of me acting like town is not voting for you, then you can very easily make me 'act like town.' Demonstrate, through application of reason and logic that expands beyond "I said I was something so I must be", that your continued survival is more beneficial to the town than that of another player. Bearing in mind that from a town perspective a random switch is more likely to hit one of their own, which you are decidedly not.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Don't care; vote whom you please. I already demonstrated why its logical to accept my claim. I said "I wouldn't do that." You said I would.

Personally, I don't think people are going to fall into the trap you're setting. If they do, my next amusing concern is simply witnessing people learn a lesson.

Go get 'em wolves, you're dealing with noobs this game.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Don't care; vote whom you please. I already demonstrated why its logical to accept my claim. I said "I wouldn't do that." You said I would.

Personally, I don't think people are going to fall into the trap you're setting. If they do, my next amusing concern is simply witnessing people learn a lesson.

Go get 'em wolves, you're dealing with noobs this game.

If voting for somebody who will 99% be in the pocket of the wolves within a day if they aren't already is nooby, then this game has one hell of a secret twist.

But since you have no interest in expanding discussion and giving the rest of us something constructive to work with, lock vote Pyure

I have tried on multiple occasions to give you the chance to speak on your behalf, to respond against the arguments against you, and each time you've not been bothered to provide anything substantial.

See all y'all tomorrow (hopefully)

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Upon further review of the the presented evidence... Two conclusions can be made. One: the case against both pyure and rjs are circumstantial at best. Neither truly is persuasive. Two: both have a vested interest in not being lynched. Pyure stands to corroborate his claim as a neutral (hard to prove but that seems to be his goal) and rjs seems to have a vendetta against Pyure.

Unless one of you two has truly compelling evidence? I don't trust either of you.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Don't pretend to have a conversation and then ignore everything that's said to you. When you say "I gave you the chance", you're really saying "I'm looking for more reasons to paint you as a lynch target." Your rhetoric is a prime example of the "random blather" described above.

Guys, fwiw, I'm pretty confident RJS is a wolf. I'm currently voting him. I don't especially want to paint a target on myself by outting wolves, but I'm not going to gripe if you lynch this one. Sooner we end the game the better.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Upon further review of the the presented evidence... Two conclusions can be made. One: the case against both pyure and rjs are circumstantial at best. Neither truly is persuasive. Two: both have a vested interest in not being lynched. Pyure stands to corroborate his claim as a neutral (hard to prove but that seems to be his goal) and rjs seems to have a vendetta against Pyure.

Unless one of you two has truly compelling evidence? I don't trust either of you.
If you're keeping notes, I would typically jot down "Pyure and RJS not on same team" at this point. If RJS flips wolf, I'm almost certainly not a wolf, etc.

I'm not keeping notes this game because I don't really care who's who.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
If you're keeping notes, I would typically jot down "Pyure and RJS not on same team" at this point. If RJS flips wolf, I'm almost certainly not a wolf, etc.

Actually to me your argument could very well be staged. It's not unheard of for team mates to fake animosity to achieve the same goal.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
This, to me, sounds like Pyure is a role that doesn't care about its own survival. There's no Jester role in this game, though, so the next most expendable role is Vanillager, of which there are a couple. Pyure knows that it's the vanillager's job to get himself killed in place of the power town roles, which he seems to be (if he is, in fact, a vanillager) doing pretty well. But a suicidal villager also wants his role reveal to be as illuminating to the rest of the town as possible, which, for Pyure, does not appear to be the case.

This reeks of wolf!Pyure...

So guys, just for the record: I'm detective hernandez. I'm neutral. Nobody gains by killing me. I'm not even really a detective (I have no powers)

If its all the same to everyone else, I'd like to just coast by and not die.
Would've been better to announce that earlier...

Also, from my town point of view, it's better to lynch a neutral who won't affect my win condition than a player who is statistically likely to be a villager, who will. I have no particularly strong leads on anyone; should something come up later today (which is unlikely, considering this is day 1), I will happily switch my vote.

But for now, my vote stays on Pyure.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This, to me, sounds like Pyure is a role that doesn't care about its own survival. There's no Jester role in this game, though, so the next most expendable role is Vanillager, of which there are a couple. Pyure knows that it's the vanillager's job to get himself killed in place of the power town roles, which he seems to be (if he is, in fact, a vanillager) doing pretty well. But a suicidal villager also wants his role reveal to be as illuminating to the rest of the town as possible, which, for Pyure, does not appear to be the case.
No, this is a neutral role claim. Its a solid claim. I expected to see more Vikestep-like players say "Well, damnit, we can't lynch him". Instead we're getting players who fail to realize that if you lynch a neutral, or you non-lynch, you have a zero percent chance of hitting a wolf.

I'm putting forward a claim that nobody can disprove. This alone should make strong players dodge. Hopefully town!Vike will wake up soon and articulate it better than I can.

This reeks of wolf!Pyure...
Since when? This is my standard neutral AND town style.

Would've been better to announce that earlier...

Also, from my town point of view, it's better to lynch a neutral who won't affect my win condition than a player who is statistically likely to be a villager, who will. I have no particularly strong leads on anyone; should something come up later today (which is unlikely, considering this is day 1), I will happily switch my vote.
My "town" pov, lol :p

And you're still failing to do the math. Its not better to lynch a neutral who won't affect your win condition. Lynching me does negatively affect the town's win condition. It only helps wolves.

RJS (and now SE37) keep trying to put me in the classic wolf trap of "We'd stop voting you except you won't prove you're town." I'm not playing that game. I'm not going to try to "convince" the wolves that I'm town. Its a stupid trap.

I'm going to lay down the law instead: I am a neutral party. If you lynch me, you are either a wolf, or you are screwing up badly, and I shall laugh at you.

You don't get other options. These are your choices. Take it or leave it.

(This strongly-worded town defense brought to you by my standard asshole-town-pyure-persona. Take that or leave it too)