Hungry Nodes, how to recognize?

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
You die. After imitating a yoyo and\or being thrown a couple dozen blocks in the air.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
and yet portal gun doesn't have a config to disable moon portals, which is basically a hungry node from which you don't scape that you can place everywhere as you please.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
and yet portal gun doesn't have a config to disable moon portals, which is basically a hungry node from which you don't scape that you can place everywhere as you please.
It does have one. It is hidden in the world save folder ;)

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
Another way to identify them if you have the goggles on is that there will be little black partials flying inwards to the node. Thats one way I identified one floating over a lava lake in the nether. It was too far from anything but the lava to suck anything up and even the lava was on the extreme edge of its range. That said hungry nodes are quite rare and you can disable them in the TC config if they bother you. I've only seen 2 so far on a world that didnt have them disabled.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
How common are these hungry nodes? I have yet to see one.

Not terribly common from my experience, I've only seen two. The first one I didn't know what it was at first, I just came across a village with a building that looked like it took a Creeper blast and was heading over to investigate, being very familiar with the previous Thaumcraft I figured it was much like Buildcraft or T-Con and not much was changed. Needless to say the hungry node taught me a valuable lesson about checking to make sure Thaumcraft hasn't gotten considerably more deadly than I'm used to between Minecraft versions. The second time I was unlucky enough to find a seed with a hungry node right above the spawn.

Kik

Jul 29, 2019
@Merendel o_O Disable the actual spawning of hungry nodes in the config?
I've found the option to mitigate their effect in the configs but not anything else.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
the problem of mitigating is that disables tainted nodes too (and I guess sinister/unstable/pure to some extent?)

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
@Merendel o_O Disable the actual spawning of hungry nodes in the config?
I've found the option to mitigate their effect in the configs but not anything else.
# Negative nodes like hungry, tainted or dark nodes will have additional, much nastier, effects.
B:hard_mode_nodes=false

That setting prety much turns them off. Server I've been playing on is runing that now and we havent seen any hungry nodes on our current map. Although tainted nodes still exist and can taint the area as one guy found out when he brought a tainted node back to his base. That was a fun mess to clean up and required liberal application of ethereal bloom.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
recently I player on a server where the first day I went to a temple, raided it and spent my first night there, I did see there was a node in the middle but I didn't pay much attention to it.

IRL days later I stumble upon the temple after having made my goggles of revealing, and guess what? the node ate half the temple.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
Just asking, in what version of FTB were Hungry Nodes added? Just wanting to know if I should be wary of them running around in my Ultimate world (yeah, I just discovered FTB and wanted to explore the pre-crazy GT and IC2 days before upgrading to a more modern pack).

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Just asking, in what version of FTB were Hungry Nodes added? Just wanting to know if I should be wary of them running around in my Ultimate world (yeah, I just discovered FTB and wanted to explore the pre-crazy GT and IC2 days before upgrading to a more modern pack).
Ultimate = 1.4.7
Thaumcraft 4 = 1.6.4
It was added in the 1.6.4 modpacks.

Reactions: Dravarden

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Added in Thaumcraft 4 so 1.6.4 modpacks only. earlier ones you only have flux effects to worry about...