Huge problem with taint :( Help?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Gewitterwesen

Jul 29, 2019
wow, okay.
first sorry for the delayed answer, but i dont have time for minecraft every day :) (unfortunately).

let's say i understood hardly half of what you all said. :_D
but im thankful for the help. :)

as much as i understood it now, i need pure nodes. okay. how do i get them? do they drop together with saplings?
i see, that i will have to make 'removing the taint' a first priority.
(and thanks for claryfing the ReactorCraft reactor advice as a joke.. i was half on my way finding out what that is and how you build it xD)

the suggested barriers in different ways: i dont think there is a way to do this.
i have tried to make a barrier, with planks, then cobblestone. for cobblestone i have to wait a bit, but planks surely are no way to stop it. the fiberous taint is just growing over it. also i dont think that a water barrier would be a solution as i already can literally see the taint in the water (it changed colours to an unhealthy purple). i also tried just removing the water by placing dirt over it, removing the dirt, then building a barrier with wood. the taint grew right over it. also, it seems water isnt directly affected of the taint, but when it starts to spread at one side of a lake or river, it can spread through the water to the other land areas.

next problem: yes i have caves which are already infected and there are at least 3 or 4 of them. as i said the area is really huge and i needed alone 3-4 hours to build that plank wall (that doesnt work now :D)

and yes, i know magic farm 2 is hard :) but i like the challenge.

what about the nuking, how could i nuke the stuff up?
because of the amount of blocks i dont think digging it all out would help. because i imagine to dig on one site when on the other site it's growing further. i mean i do have an excavator finally, but im not to sure if it's also working on the fibrous taint and such.

i dont want to turn it off for now in the config file. maybe i come back to it later.
in this regard one question: if the taint would reach my home, and let's say my chests would it still be able to flee at that time and get my stuff later? or should i break camp now (with all my seeds and stuff and farm and such) and move a few hundred meters? for this question let's say, im really a beginner and i needed some time to even build the smeltery xD im also not really far, i only have all of the tools, cooking tools the smeltery and my farm. i dont even had cows or chickens because all the time i couldnt find any ordinary seeds (and the cows didnt want to follow my good golden barley :( ).

last question: when i discovered the area i killed some of the purple sparkling thingys flying in the air which was attacking me. i got a tainted goo in my inventar. later it said in the chat window "a dissolving tainted goo has infected you with taint" or something like that. i got no debuff, i didnt turn purple and nothing happened. im confused?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Simple solution. Move at least 10 chunks from the site. i.e. 160m.
The tainted chunks will not be loaded while you arn't near, ticks will stop being processed, fibrous taint will stop spreading, and spawning more tainted biome. Everything will go into stasis, until you are prepared to return, with magic/tech, and fight it.

The stuff in your chests will be safe in the interim, and you can even visit your current base - as long as you don't stay for long, as, as you have noticed, its not spreading all that fast.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Gewitterwesen

Jul 29, 2019
wow okay, that sounds really simple. it's not a big deal at all to move, as there isnt toooo much stuff and my home was only this 3 block high thingy.

another question occured: i wandered around and i have now a good place, but in the near was an "obsidian totem" (which i dismantled) but the ground and some trees are darker. does that influence anything?

also i saw some silverwood trees now. how do you get nodes?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
wow okay, that sounds really simple. it's not a big deal at all to move, as there isnt toooo much stuff and my home was only this 3 block high thingy.

another question occured: i wandered around and i have now a good place, but in the near was an "obsidian totem" (which i dismantled) but the ground and some trees are darker. does that influence anything?

also i saw some silverwood trees now. how do you get nodes?

Check in the F3 menu and see if you're in an eerie biome. That's usually what happens with totems. It doesn't really make any difference afaik

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
oh my im such a noob, im really sorry to bother with all this questions :(

it says it's a magical forest biome...
Since there was a totem and the stuff arounds that spot be dark, it should be an eerie biome. "Eerie", from what I recall, doesn't do anything but spawns more than normal amount of angry zombies during night.

E: To be precise, it's not the totem that causes an eerie biome, but a sinister aura node inside the totem :3

Reactions: malicious_bloke

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
okay, but i might have destroyed the node by dismantling the totem? there came a load of essences out of it.
Yea, destroying the block the node resides in will destroy the node itself. You can see it shattering and hear the distinct sound effect (and as you said, it usually spews ethereal essence :3)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Focus on thaumcraft for a while, learn how to bottle nodes and make yourself a good wand and set up a recharging station so you have the power to keep on bottling and moving a pure node. Destroying the tainted blocks is not going to help.

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
I think you are right. But wrong at the same time. Now that I think about it:
1. pure nodes, will transform *only* tainted biome, back into its origin biome.
2. Silverwood trees, as grown, will kick off a process that converts the biome around them, into magical biome.
3. Ethereal Blooms are also supposed to revert, NOT convert biome back to its origin biome.
4. Sinister nodes convert the area around them, to eerie biome.
But but BUT, if the biome first generated as a Tainted Land biome, then the Pure Node/Ethereal Bloom will convert it to a Magical Forest.

Gewitterwesen

Jul 29, 2019
@moaddeman funny enough the darkened dirt around the earlier-to-be totem didnt vanished, also when i destroy dirt the dirt that was below it and is now on the surface still starts darkening. but thats only an aesthetical problem.
@epidemia78 yeah, i think that might be the best idea. i already guessed removing infected blocks doesnt really help, as somewhere in a wiki it says you have to imagine taint more like pollution, which is in the air. and there arent any air blocks to remove, eh? ;)
i moved now like 200 m away from my old home so the taint is no emergency anymore :)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
But but BUT, if the biome first generated as a Tainted Land biome, then the Pure Node/Ethereal Bloom will convert it to a Magical Forest.

Ive done some testing with Tahumcraft 4.1.1.14 for 1.7.2:

Silverwood trees that are grown will convert anything, including tainted land, to magical forest.
A pure node will convert tainted land (and presumably eerie biome) to magical forest. Other biomes are not changed.
Ethereal blossoms will convert Eerie / Tainted AND Magical Forest biome back to the origin biome - even in the case of naturally generated tainted land, the ethereal bloom seems to convert to the biome-that-would-have-been, NOT magical forest. (They do not convert naturally generated magical forest though). Other biomes are not changed.
And of course
Sinister nodes that create eerie biome around themselves and
Tainted nodes, that create tainted biome around themselves.

--

Additionally, the spread of Fibrous Taint can be halted by physical barriers. I build a glass cage in the center of a tainted area, and the soil inside is fiber free. (There might of course, be fibers growing deep underground in a cave that crosses the same area). But it is feasible to halt the spread of taint biome, by controlling the spread of fibrous taint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eruantien and YX33A

Gewitterwesen

Jul 29, 2019

Silverwood trees that are grown will convert anything, including tainted land, to magical forest.

that saying, it means: when i plant a silverwood sapling, that will already help for that area?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
that saying, it means: when i plant a silverwood sapling, that will already help for that area?

Well, not quite. The sapling normally takes a long time to grow. In which time it will probably be consumed by taint. You NEED to have a hoe of growth to force it to grow immediately, or plant it outside the tainted area to act as a barrier.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
@moaddeman funny enough the darkened dirt around the earlier-to-be totem didnt vanished, also when i destroy dirt the dirt that was below it and is now on the surface still starts darkening. but thats only an aesthetical problem.
Yes, even when you destroy the node, the biome change is already in effect and thus stays in effect. Also because biomes span infinitely vertically, the grass will always be darkish, no matter how high or low ya try :I (don't think there's the mod in any of the FTB packs that would affect this)

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019

A pure node will convert tainted land (and presumably eerie biome) to magical forest. Other biomes are not changed.
Ethereal blossoms will convert Eerie / Tainted AND Magical Forest biome back to the origin biome - even in the case of naturally generated tainted land, the ethereal bloom seems to convert to the biome-that-would-have-been, NOT magical forest. (They do not convert naturally generated magical forest though). Other biomes are not changed.
And of course
Sinister nodes that create eerie biome around themselves and
Tainted nodes, that create tainted biome around themselves.

--

Additionally, the spread of Fibrous Taint can be halted by physical barriers. I build a glass cage in the center of a tainted area, and the soil inside is fiber free. (There might of course, be fibers growing deep underground in a cave that crosses the same area). But it is feasible to halt the spread of taint biome, by controlling the spread of fibrous taint.
Have the mechanics changed, then, in 1.7.2? Or are they the same as in 1.6.4?

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having a huge problem with taint on the server I'm currently playing on. :/ It's a custom FTB pack with Thaumcraft 4.1.0g (1.6.4) and Highlands (no Biomes o Plenty) and it looks like Highlands has a problem displaying the TC biomes - they don't show up in F3 and tainted lands also don't have the purple look (they're just green). That's why I missed taint near my base and now it already affects a quite huge area.
We already tried completely disabling taint but it's still spreading (I guess it's a Tainted Lands biome since there are no nodes in the area), so we changed the following configs:
# The chance per chunk (1 in n) of a Taint biome spawning during world gen. Setting it to 0 prevents the spawning of Taint biomes.
I:biome_taint_chance=0 (default: 2000)

# Can Taint be caused by flux effects.
B:biome_taint_from_flux=false (default: true)

# The chance per block update (1 in n) of the Taint biome spreading. Setting it to 0 prevents the spread of Taint biomes.
I:biome_taint_spread=0 (default: ???)

We also tried it just with the last option set to 0 at first and restarted the server a few times but, like I said, it's still spreading in a huge area, so getting rid of it just with Silverwood Trees and Ethereal Blooms would be a quite tedious work that requites lots of saplings and blooms. I already asked in the official thread on the minecraft forums and someone gave me the answer that even if the last option is set to zero, the taint still spreads within the chunks it's already in.
I cleared out all the taint on the surface, made a wide hole 5-10 blocks underneath the surface and started digging out the ring around it to disconnect it from the good area, so I can completely clear out the taint in the middle later down to bedrock. But still I found taint on the surface again, even though there shouldn't have been any kind of connection to it anymore. Does that mean that new taint will always get generated once the chunk is infected?

Does anyone know a way to completely disable taint or at least prevent it from spreading, even in the chunks it's already in?

Last edited:

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having a huge problem with taint on the server I'm currently playing on.

Do you have dye trees on the server? If yes, your best bet is to find a rainbow forest biome and grab the ethereal blooms spawning there. If the tain is right next to your base, those should clean it up pretty fast.

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have dye trees on the server? If yes, your best bet is to find a rainbow forest biome and grab the ethereal blooms spawning there. If the tain is right next to your base, those should clean it up pretty fast.
No, we don't (only have the Project Red ones that drop colored saplings). Fortunately the taint is just outside the chunks that get loaded when I'm in my base but there's a perfect spot nearby I wanted to build something on, which would sadly load the chunks.
I have almost 2 stacks of Shimmerleaf and I can always walk around and look for more, the problem is getting enough items with the Vitium aspect (which comes from taint) to make the Ethereal Blooms, so I'd really prefer completely disabling the taint or its spreading at all.