How'd you like to see mods change for 1.6?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
OK, Enigmus, you missed my point.
The thing is, there is no reason why to play Vanilla anymore if you can get 9 out of 10 new things that were given in an update by playing with mods. It's kind of boring, and I always loved being able to automate stuff, and not being forced to play Minecraft a certain way. In FTB, you have several things to do.
Want do get double ores? Done, there's something for it.
Want to get tons of wheat with very little managing? There's something for it.
Want to strap the land out of every single ore possible in that chunk? There's something for it.
Want to convert items into others? There's also something for it.
Want to travel to another dimensions? There's something for that, too.
Vanilla Minecraft is boring. It goes this way: Get wood --> Get crafting table --> Get pick --> Get better pick and smelter --> Repeat until you have three diamonds --> Make diamond pick --> Get obsidian --> Go to the Nether --> Get 14 ender pearls and 7 blaze rods --> Defeat the dragon.
Actually that's Minecraft. Every other thing you do is basically sidequests.
But you have a lot more stuff to do in FTB then in Vanilla. Vanilla resumes itself as "build better, bigger and better looking buildings".
After you start in FTB, you have:
A) Thaumcraft 3
B) Forestry
C) Railcraft+Steve's Carts 2
D) Industrial Craft 2
E) Thermal Expansion
F) Xeno's Reliquary + Equivalent Exchange 3
G) ComputerCraft
H) RedPower 2
I) MystCraft
J) XyCraft
K) Twilight Forest
L) All of above, togheter.
Plus all other mods (BiblioCraft, Portal and Gravity Gun, add-ons).
You're not forced to do the same stuff all over again with your own twist.
You are given the tools, you can follow your own way, you can build your empire of magic or science, you can do anything you want!
And automate it. You're not forced to automatically dispense coal and stuff your builds after some time. You can build a machine for it.

Minecraft uptades don't have that much that makes me want to play it instead of BTW or FTB or even Technic (really!).
I fell vanilla is boring now and I noticed that a lot came from mods. It is wierd that they are always adding stuff that gives modded Minecraft players the fell of: "Meh, I've seen this before".
I think most people here feel the same thing about vanilla Minecraft as it is, now.

Stairmasternem

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno, I got pretty excited about 1.5's additions. Especially the redstone block, which is essentially a movable redstone torch.

Stairmasternem

Jul 29, 2019
In regards to that, I like how they're adding a variety to them at least. Regular horses are a bit eh, but pack mules do seem to be happening. Also a skeleton horse. So yay, variety better then orange and black cats.

canilsen

Jul 29, 2019
I don't get all the bitterness in this thread. They just released a tease of what is to come in 1.6, none of you know what they have in store regarding performance. Personally I love the horse addition. It also opens up for some interesting modding, like mechanical horses etc.

Also, remember only a small part of the community plays modded minecraft.

SkinnyTurtles

Jul 29, 2019
On topic: it would be nice to see mods embrave the whole singnal strength thing that seems to be implimented in vanilla redstone now. Perhaps the strength of the signal could be much more relevant to mods, for example IC2 power storage blocks could have a redstone option to release a stronger current depending on how much power it has stored, or even a better redstone control system for machines. What I mean by that is, at the moment a machine may be either on or off, depending on if it is getting a redstone signal for not. But they could change it so that No signal = off, and Low signal = runing at a reduced speed, and High signal = running at full speed.

Off topic: For a future vanilla update, I would like to see them take word generation, burn it to the ground, and start again. I have aways thought of word gen to be awful and that it could easily be a lot better. They seem to forget that Minecraft is a sandbox game, for example, they would probably say no to adding HUGE mountains to the game because many peoples computers could not handle the exra generation. But huge mountains would be cool, so they could just add an option to turn them off if you have a slow computer. Same for a much deeper world (only having about 60 blocks of depth to dig around in is pretty poor for a game that involves a lot of mining and digging), or even a much deeper and more interesting ocean. They are letting people with slow computers needlessly restrict the improvement of the game, and are forgetting that they could just add options to turn it all off.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
OK, Enigmus, you missed my point.
The thing is, there is no reason why to play Vanilla anymore if you can get 9 out of 10 new things that were given in an update by playing with mods. It's kind of boring, and I always loved being able to automate stuff, and not being forced to play Minecraft a certain way. In FTB, you have several things to do.

No, I got your point. I probably understand your point better than you do. Minecraft is a sandbox game. That means that at a core development level, less is more. Mojang hasn't added anything to the game that dictates to players how they should play it. They add things here and there but it still remains an open world to explore and exploit and be creative. Is vanilla MC boring? About as boring as lego, yes. If you love lego, you'll love vanilla MC. If you don't find lego all that engaging, you won't like vanilla MC. The key is that there is nothing bad about that. That's where the modding community comes in. They can add to the core game and players can decide for themselves what they would like to add. There's no wrong in this. There's no bad in this. It's actually a very good thing for everyone. Mojang doesn't have to try and anticipate what its players want and risk alienating people by going in the wrong direction. Modders get to express themselves creatively while exercising their coding talents. Players get choice and diversity. Think big picture. Think about how everything fits together instead of focusing too closely on one component and ignoring the influence of other sources. There was no reason to write your list of features Mojang has added like it was somehow wrong of them to do so. There's no reason to complain that vanilla MC is not like modded MC. It won't ever be, and shouldn't ever be. Play the game the way you enjoy, and as long as you're able to do that, wtf are you complaining about?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I, for one, do not really care about mojang adding new content to minecraft or not. That's what I have modded minecraft for. as long as they keep working and improving the backend, I'm fine with whatever.

However, I do NOT want an official API to come out from mojang. cpw and the rest of the forge team have done a wonderful job with a community api that surpasses anything mojang could offer. the reason isn't just because forge is "so great," it's because forge is open source and any mod developer can get a hook added in if they absolutely need it (provided said hook doesn't break things, but over the years, cpw has been really good at helping modders with their code.)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
The thing with adding stuff like horses, is that they probably take very little actual coding. Some artist stays busy making models and animations for these little additions for the people who play vanilla and like them, while the coders stay busy improving the backend. Remember that pretty much every major release recently has had major back-end improvements. That is what the coders are working on. I am a-ok with the artists working on horses instead of other projects that would take the coders away from improving the back end. Stay patient everyone, all these back-end improvements are leading us toward the holy grail of a mod api.

thats what I tell to people, meanwhile jeb says ''here, take this 3 blocks, and play with them'' in the background they are fixting stuff.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
thats what I tell to people, meanwhile jeb says ''here, take this 3 blocks, and play with them'' in the background they are fixting stuff.
Mojang should have a line hidden in their updates: "We fix shit for you and pretend it's an actual update so you can play what you want with less problems."
Kind of a comment, really.

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
However, I do NOT want an official API to come out from mojang. cpw and the rest of the forge team have done a wonderful job with a community api that surpasses anything mojang could offer.
This. To me, it seems like every single update aimed at either optimization or making a move towards a mod API goes the opposite direction that was intended. I understand from the Forge standpoint that the recent texture change reduced a lot of texture code for them, but honestly it seems like they "fix" systems that aren't broken to begin with and just make a lot of work for modders in the process.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
This. To me, it seems like every single update aimed at either optimization or making a move towards a mod API goes the opposite direction that was intended. I understand from the Forge standpoint that the recent texture change reduced a lot of texture code for them, but honestly it seems like they "fix" systems that aren't broken to begin with and just make a lot of work for modders in the process.

The new texture update is actually part of optimization as it stands right now when ever you look at one block your computer has to handle the graphics of every single block in the game to render that one block, with the new update down the road they dont have to send the entire texture sheet to paint one block

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
...but I don't get why they won't make a mod api.
Because if they do, they have to get it right first time. No sense adding an API and then realising that there's fundamental stuff that they have to change.
Not everyone wants to have to use mods. Especially XBox players, I understand it's quite hard to get FTB on a console.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I hope that we get One Microblocks Mod to rule them all, that works over every block and that everyone can code to. Because people are taking saws to seared bricks and it looks awesome and I want to see that all work everywhere.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
When I made the post I sort of was thinking more comically (robot horses are a great idea though). However it's quite interesting to see how people think about updates for vanilla, and I completely agree. There hasn't been anything big enough to make me want to play vanilla again. Using the Lego analogy I never enjoyed it. Unless of course you could get lasers and minecarts and jet packs and portal guns and I could go on