How to waterproof frame quarry?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ilja

Jul 29, 2019
So, built a flying frame quarry with an arm that expands/retracts via blockbreaker+deployer. The issue, however, is that whenever water touches the arm it gets stuck and stops the system. Now, I could run it in a desert to minimize the risk, but I'd prefer to use it in the sea to minimize the visible impact of it. Also, I don't have that much land around my base, it's pretty much a large island with four biomes that are surrounded by ocean to far away.

Anyone have an idea of what to do? I'd really prefer to use a top-down quarry rather than a horizontal digger as I want to catch a decent amount of both sand and copper.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, I don't use XyCraft at all due to annoying world gen.

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
If you want sand and copper, a desert is indeed a better plan, because whilst sea level is 64, the water is pretty deep and you'll get very little copper from a quarry there. If you're in single player you could always go far away from your base to a desert.
As for a structural fix, my first guess would have been Liquid Void blocks but you don't have them. You could try some strategically placed lava to turn the water into cobblestone or just put a frame casing around your entire drill and cover them with covers (to stop the water from sticking).

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
For Sand, you can just use an Igneous Extruder and a Macerator/Pulverizer/Grind Stone.

And, in 5 days, this community turned from "xycraft is friggin' awesome" to "screw xycraft, I hate its oregen." :p

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
For Sand, you can just use an Igneous Extruder and a Macerator/Pulverizer/Grind Stone.

And, in 5 days, this community turned from "xycraft is friggin' awesome" to "screw xycraft, I hate its oregen." :p
It's just the Quartz Crystals, really. Yeah, they look nice and all, but they lag the client like crazy. Plus, they are spiky and I'm not too keen on spiky things in my mines.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019

I quite like xycraft. I even like that it renders crystals in the ground - whenever I see them through a chunk error they make me think of stars. That doesn't stop me from recognizing that it can be problematic for people with worse computers than mine. Of course, I also like building with xycraft stuff, so the aesthetic part of the mod is great for me. For people who are more function over form, though, xycraft is still pretty sparing in what it has to offer. Some people might forego liquid voids and fabricators in favor of not having barrels full of xychorium.