How to get Soul Stealing enchant on a Diamond Sword

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Yes, everything must be nerfed until there's nothing left but bland, tasteless gruel.

The recipe for the uncrafting table is being changed soon, I think it'll be a boss drop from the new towers- all the mechanics will stay the same, its just harder to make.

I think disjunction was intended for any blade, but it's just extra effective on the Atheme.

Reactions: MFINN23

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
The recipe for the uncrafting table is being changed soon, I think it'll be a boss drop from the new towers- all the mechanics will stay the same, its just harder to make.
You can make Uncrafting Tables? I found mine in a Hollow Hill chest. Making something harder to get does not balance it. In fact it's the opposite of balance. Giving it a higher cost to use might give balance, requiring Ender Dust, Nether Star Powder, or whatever. So you can make your Diamond Sowrd of Soul Stealing, but it costs a lot to get.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
You can make Uncrafting Tables? I found mine in a Hollow Hill chest. Making something harder to get does not balance it. In fact it's the opposite of balance. Giving it a higher cost to use might give balance, requiring Ender Dust, Nether Star Powder, or whatever. So you can make your Diamond Sowrd of Soul Stealing, but it costs a lot to get.

Its 8 crafting tables around a map maze focus.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Ah so that's why disjunction seems not to be working. It's on the sword but I don't think it's activating.[DOUBLEPOST=1360848518][/DOUBLEPOST]
It is NOT nerfing it, it is fixing that damn thing.

Disjunction should have been only on the Athame afaik, and SoulStealer only on Vile Swords. While i understand that it is annoying that the Vile Swords are inferior to diamond swords i alos think that it is a intented behaviour the mod author placed to balance things.

At the moment the Uncrafting Table is way to OP as it circumvates restrictions placed by vanilla/other mods.
Well thats pretty lame, and you only make the game worse by nerfing it. I don't see how anyone can make the case that anything is OP when you have machines that mine for you and you can make new worlds with books.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
i alos think that it is a intented behaviour the mod author placed to balance things.
If he wanted to balance things that way, don't you think he would've made the Vile Sword unrepairable?

I mean, the fact that you can repair the Vile Sword is huge. I pretty much got all 5 of my LV5 spawners with a Vile Sword + Sharpness. Repaired that thing so many damned times.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
If he wanted to balance things that way, don't you think he would've made the Vile Sword unrepairable?
I don't see why. You're effectively saying, "If he wants something to be difficult, why didn't he make it impossible". The way I understand it, the design decision is "if you want to collect multiple souls you have to collect Soul Sand and use a Soul Forge". Transferring the enchantment off a Vile Sword onto a Diamond Sword means you only ever need to make 2 Corrupted Iron Ingots.

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see why. You're effectively saying, "If he wants something to be difficult, why didn't he make it impossible". The way I understand it, the design decision is "if you want to collect multiple souls you have to collect Soul Sand and use a Soul Forge". Transferring the enchantment off a Vile Sword onto a Diamond Sword means you only ever need to make 2 Corrupted Iron Ingots.
Collecting soul sand really adds to my game experience.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Yeah. It's good to have variety. At the moment the Soul Forge is the only thing that isn't solar- or charcoal-powered in my base. I only needed to go get Soul Sand once and I got 5 stacks of it in under a minute, but still it's good that mods like Soul Shards have their own flavour.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. It's good to have variety. At the moment the Soul Forge is the only thing that isn't solar- or charcoal-powered in my base. I only needed to go get Soul Sand once and I got 5 stacks of it in under a minute, but still it's good that mods like Soul Shards have their own flavour.
I think you completely missed his sarcasm.

Transferring the enchantment also increases the cost of repairing it. Remember, the Diamond Sword only lasts 6x longer, then you have to spend 2 more diamonds to repair it. Unless you have dense ores, getting diamond in my world was harder than a Level 5 Soul Spawner.

As far as making the Vile Sword unrepairable "unbearably hard"...... that's ridiculous. It took me like 5 minutes to get a new Soul Stealer Vile Sword (then I made some others and combined them to get the one above). All you need is some Iron, which is ridiculously plentiful, and some soul sand, which is trivial to get / craft. I enchanted 5 30-level Vile Swords and 2 of them had Soul Stealer III or higher.

If the author really wanted to balance it, he would've given the Vile Sword the durability of wood or stone, and made it unrepairable.

I find it funny people are complaining about the uncrafting table when the mod they're talking about is equivalent to getting a GregTech Fusion reactor. I mean, think about it, after getting a Level 5 Soul Shard you never have to worry about XP ever again. Ever. I currently have about 5 LV5 Soul Shards in about 10 hours of work (Zombie, Skeleton, Pigmen, Blaze, and Cave Spider [bad]).

Reactions: MFINN23

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
I think you completely missed his sarcasm.
No, I just picked it up and ran with it. I can imagine his face when he saw he needed Soul Sand. "Whaaat? I have to go through a portal? I have to go like twenty blocks away and dig something up from the ground? With a SPADE? And I have to do this ONCE ONLY and NEVER AGAIN just to get INFINITE EASY XP? This mod sucks! *RAGEQUIT*"

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
No, I just picked it up and ran with it. I can imagine his face when he saw he needed Soul Sand. "Whaaat? I have to go through a portal? I have to go like twenty blocks away and dig something up from the ground? With a SPADE? And I have to do this ONCE ONLY and NEVER AGAIN just to get INFINITE EASY XP? This mod sucks! *RAGEQUIT*"
lol Did you think that I was saying getting soul sand is too difficult? The point is you want to disable an item because you're supposed to use soulsand for your materials, acting like that fact is an integral part of the game which is ridiculous you numpty.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
It depends on your luck with getting a soul stealer enchant, It took me about 10-12 before I got a single soul stealer IV sword.
By that time I was about 150 kills away from my T5 pigzombie shard.

So nerfing everything in the name of "balance?" Let's take a closer look:

Changing the EXP costs of uncrafting/repairing or setting it so soul stealer wont work on another sword type would just mean repairing the vile sword more often (assuming the same thing happens with Thaumcraft's repair), which in turn simply means more grinding to achieve the same result.
Aside from a vanilla gimmick, repairing a tool costs more each time (both anvil and uncrafting table), and thanks to another vanilla gimmick you can only go so far on an anvil. The uncrafting table eventually limits itself, as some point its easier to build a new sword.
(Basically makes the game tedious, brings up a lot of AFK time- and as the processes can still be automated, so in the long run nothings changed).

Lower spawn rate of shards, fewer drops/less exp ect.
This makes little difference, its just adds tedium early on- and leaving it running for longer will achieve the same result.​
(The forgecraft build has this- no more rare drops)​

I have nothing against rebalancing, a long as the rebalance keeps the game interesting.
Simply nerfing something changes little, it just takes longer to achieve the same result.​
A rebalance would probably involve making corrupt ingots a more involved process, or some kind of dark magic/corruption mechanic applied to an existing sword which then give it a 'soul stealing' ability.​

I've also heard rumours that the soul shards may require recharging after a while, though I'm not sure how the actual numbers would work out.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on your luck with getting a soul stealer enchant, It took me about 10-12 before I got a single soul stealer IV sword.
Pro tip: You can combine two lower-level (LV III) swords to get a LV IV sword.

It's usually easier to do it that way. You must be either really unlucky, or not using an enchanting table with a full 15 bookshelves, because I get Soul Stealer enchants like they're water, usually at least LV III.

Keep in mind, enchantment combos are determined by:
Enchantment Level You Select + Tool Enchantability (I swear Vile Sword has a high number) + Bookshelves Bonus (up to 15)

The actual value for the bookshelf bonus and tool enchantability are selected randomly. Your number is just a maximum.

I went through 10 swords to get Soul Stealer III + Sharpness IV + Knockback II combination, which I was aiming for. Then I upgraded it from there through combining it with some of the earlier Soul Stealer III swords that I got (of the 10, 3 had them). Knockback is nice for the Creeper / Pigmen Soul Shards..... almost critical.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I just enchant books. Everything except X protection is useful for me personally, and I can give the X/Y protections to other people. A spawner with a brain in the jar makes exp a joke. Stopped using it a while, broke it, got 800 levels (imagine the exp curve on that) which I haven't really used. For most of my time on teh server I walked around with a diamond sword with:
Soul Stealer IV
Unbreaking III (that's a 4k hit soulstealer for you guys who seem to ignore unbreaking on swords via book enchants)
Knockback II - personal preference
Fire Aspect II
Sharpness V - this bit was a bit of a pain, I admit. Sharpness IV is very easy though by 2 III's or getting a single IV.
Looting II - could be a III but I didn't bother to try. They seem quite rare via books.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Aside from a vanilla gimmick, repairing a tool costs more each time (both anvil and uncrafting table), and thanks to another vanilla gimmick you can only go so far on an anvil. The uncrafting table eventually limits itself, as some point its easier to build a new sword.
As others mentioned, vanilla has an OP "bug" where you can simply rename the tool for +2 XP Levels and perpetually reset the # of repairs (never being penalized for the +2 XP Levels per repair for multiple repairs).

So if people want to nerf anything, nerf vanilla minecraft.

/thread explodes

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Pro tip: You can combine two lower-level (LV III) swords to get a LV IV sword.

It's usually easier to do it that way. You must be either really unlucky, or not using an enchanting table with a full 15 bookshelves, because I get Soul Stealer enchants like they're water, usually at least LV III.

I went through 10 swords to get Soul Stealer III + Sharpness IV + Knockback II combination, which I was aiming for. Then I upgraded it from there through combining it with some of the earlier Soul Stealer III swords that I got (of the 10, 3 had them). Knockback is nice for the Creeper Soul Shards..... almost critical.

15 shelves, lvl30 each time. It took that many tries before I got any kind of soul stealer enchant- just luck that it was a high level.
General rule of thumb for enchanting: you never get the one your looking for.
(I've had better luck getting soul stealer from books- got about 4 S.S.III books sat there, but only AFTER I get it on the sword)
I've always found knockback rather irritating- even for creepers. Usually I'm packing a bow, so 1 or 2 hits at distance- then sprint+jumping strike for the kill.

-interesting side note; check out the Thaumcraft apects on the enchanted books/tools.

--Edit--
As others mentioned, vanilla has an OP "bug" where you can simply rename the tool for +2 XP Levels and perpetually reset the # of repairs (never being penalized for the +2 XP Levels per repair for multiple repairs).

So if people want to nerf anything, nerf vanilla minecraft.

/thread explodes

I think you mean 'FIX' vanilla minecraft. Generally the 40 level limit needs to go, along with the renaming bug.
-and if you make EXP fully exponential again (same cost to level 30- just exponential instead of linear)

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
I think you mean 'FIX' vanilla minecraft. Generally the 40 level limit needs to go, along with the renaming bug.
-and if you make EXP fully exponential again (same cost to level 30- just exponential instead of linear)
Anvil repairing was released 5 months ago.

In the meantime they fixed numerous bugs, including the putting-enchanted-books-on-anything bug.

If they considered it huge, they likely would've fixed it by now. Doesn't mean it won't be fixed at some point. But just stating it's probably an easy fix (assuming it would be just copying the worst repair history to the new item), and it hasn't been fixed yet.

But I do agree, if they do fix it, the 40 level limit should go.