How to get fertilizer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Coldjuice

Jul 29, 2019
I was recently playing the mindcrack pack on ftb and I thought of a good way to energy. The way takes a pretty good amount of fertilizer. I've been searching all day to find a good way to get fertilizer and can't find it. People say to use enderman spawners but i don't know how that helps in any way. A youtuber said he unlimited fertilizer and I really want to know how to get it. there are so many different ways, appetite, salt peter, and different gases but which one is the best and which one is the easiest.

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
Fertilizer has apatite as one of its components (either on its own or via thaumic bees) but only the multifarm explicitly needs fertilizer. Used to be a recipe to turn ash and sand into fertilizer but that one's removed. The fermenter (or whatever the sapling->biomass is called) can be run with mulch (made as a side-product when making apple-juice in the squeezer or as a side-product of the Moistener). As for generating saplings (that I assume you were going to use the multifarm for) very little beats a steves cart... Does take quite a few diamonds though...

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
With the multiblock farm update forestry removed all it's renewable paths to fertilizer. Making it only come from mined apatite.
Saltpeter probably still spawns in deserts, but you used to also get it through niter, which you could get from pulverizing sandstone. Niter-> saltpeter was removed though, so don't look there.
Apatite is the forestry method -- spawns in large veins and can get double the fertilizer if you use ash vs sand in the recipe.

Gregtech though still has a renewable path to fertilizer through saltpeter dust.
Enderpearls -> grinder -> ender pearl dust -> electrolyzes into potassium (2) + nitrogen (2) and other stuff you don't need for fertilizer

Crafting grid potassium (2) + nitrogen (2) + compressed air (3) = 10 saltpeter
You can keep the cells in the crafting process if you use gregtech's electric crafting table.

Crafting grid saltpeter + sand + dirt = fertilizer

Compressed air can be made in a compressor.

Sand and dirt have their own renewable paths, so the whole process should be renewable and not consume any cells in the process.

So with an enderman farm you can make renewable fertilizer by supply EU power, dirt, and sand.

I don't know of any other process for renewable fertilizer in the current versions. So the gregtech process is it.

Reactions: Geometry

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Railcraft changed it's generation of saltpeter and it should generate in the desert while playing the game (there are special bedrock like blocks which are responsible for it). I didn't find any newly generated deserts in my world, so I didn't have opportunity to test it, but it should make salt peter renewable, satisfying some of you, that won't use anything that isn't renewable.

Edit: I made a simple test with those salt peter generation blocks and it went faster then I expected (2nd row, 3rd colums):
mxhWy0L.png

So, saltpeter is renewable, therefore fertilizer is renewable without GT (and with RC) and you can all use multifarms ;).