How long will you wait before just jumping to 1.5?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sitting here doing my weekly minecraft server upgrading and modpack maintenence for my FTB DW20 and our private custom server and the question has come up, "How long will we wait until we just say "screw it" and jump to 1.5? Actually, a pretty big sum of mods we use are converted over now, or scuttlebut on #minecraftforge says they will be soon. DW20 has pretty good coverage, and Ultimate seems somewhat likely soon as well.

How long do you intend to wait? We're all sort of clenching our teeth in fear of losing redpower2 on servers already using it heavily because who even knows what may (literally) blow up. And I'm not sure what the status for a lot of our other secondary mods is either.

LastElf

Jul 29, 2019
I figure why is it important? It's not that hard to switch the server over to a different version with a lesser list of mods temporarily if the new vanilla features mean that much to you (I turned mine into TFC with minimal effort while I'm waiting for 1.5, but we also had major stability issues when we moved to Ulti. Going to switch back soon with the old world files). There's still a lot of gameplay in the current packs (There'd be more if you weren't playing DW20), so why is there so much emphasis on always being up to date when you've got 40+ mods? Mojang doesn't actually add that much to the game and the changelogs to 1.5 aren't anything special for those that have made the jump already.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I'll wait until FTB does it, which means it will most likely only happen after every mod in all of the packs has been updated to it.
The only thing I'm interested in are the new hoppers, so I can wait as much as I need.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
When most mods that I'm most interested in will get stable release (except one mod, which quick update would be a pleasant surprise). Modded Minecraft isn't in any way stable, mods change, old mods die off, new mods rise. Sometimes there are drastic changes even in old established mods, like BC or IC2 which break some builds. It is not worth to wait for only one mod to update, no matter how good it is. I'm also very keen to update if there is a fix for a bug that is bothering me. Using outdated versions of mods you have no right to complain about bugs, specially if they were fixed in next version. However I don't think that update will be a good move in a next week or two. When I checked Forestry and BC 2 days ago they were completely unplayable, but it is quickly getting better.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
On the last list I've seen BC, Railcraft and TE aren't on 1.5 yet. I will be waiting until they will be converted.

I don't mind losing RP2 for its technical features (I won't like it, but I can live without it), but I did set up my base under/in/near a cool RP2 volcano :/ Though I might be able to MCEdit the Basalt into something else before updating.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmmmmmm.
Do I want mods or 1.5 features?
Mods... or 1.--
Mods. Screw vanilla Minecraft, it's not as good without mods...
Especially when said mods form a huge portion of the world's materials. Cough Underground Biomes EBXL cough don't update without those Dave or else you'll break everything.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
We have so much stuff to do ATM there is no hurry to update for us.
This times three. I don't know where to begin and where to end yet. My workshop screams "build meee!" at just about every corner. I still have to build a SC tree-industry (read: a Mystage filled with farms^^) and get another two boilers build.. and that means 36 more I-steamengines.. and I have a huge gras spot in my void age wanting bees.. and.. the list goes on.

I read up there that not only RP2 (which I would hate to loose) is "not there yet" but also Railcraft - which in turn would equal my actual power generation to.. zero. So: I'm patient. And I really don't see "the next big thing" in that 1.5 update that says "You want me more than you want Red Alloy Wire or Steam boilers." -not at all. ;)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm waiting for: GregTech/IC2, Forestry/RailCraft/TE/Buildcraft, and Thaumcraft 3.1. Once at least one of those is updated, I'll set up a MultiMC install for 1.5.1 to try it out. But until more of my list of mods gets updated, I can't update for real. But thanks to MultiMC, it's not hard to flirt around with a new version.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just gonna wait for all the mods in the direwolf20 pack to be updated to 1.5 I wouldn't want to play modded minecraft without redpower, wireless redstone, etc

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'll wait. Who needs expensive vanilla hoppers & droppers when you already have RedPower2? Vanilla quartz is pretty but FTb has SO many decorative blocks. I updated vanilla to check out an old server and I will admit that I doubled my normal vanilla fps, I hope we get a similar boost when 1.5 comes to ftb

Slidingmike

Jul 29, 2019
I only update when FTB updates, unless its taking a poll from my users and doing edits on certain configs. This allows for more user friendly edits because unlike some governments, I let the people decide!

MushroomDynamo

Jul 29, 2019
Blah, blah, blah. Vanilla's new featureset is completely boring compared to the massive amount of stuff FTB and private, custom installations have to offer. I'm not updating until everything on my list (which happens to be 158 mods currently, sigh) is good and ready, and even then it'll just be to get the new mod features that had come out in the interim.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Blah, blah, blah. Vanilla's new featureset is completely boring compared to the massive amount of stuff FTB and private, custom installations have to offer.

Well actually: the analog logic sensitivity is kinda new. I mean signal strength was there but I've yet to see a mod that used it, or output varying signal strengths. Everyone viewed the diminishing signal as a problem to be fixed.

I'm not updating until everything on my list (which happens to be 158 mods currently, sigh) is good and ready, and even then it'll just be to get the new mod features that had come out in the interim.

Right. Well this is our problem too! Powersuits (my favorite mod) is already at 1.5 and you can't get updates for 1.4.7. Factorization will go that way soon, as will buildcraft. AE (my second favorite mod) is going the way of that as well. Like, by the end of April I have a suspicion that only a few core mods are going to be holding us up.

MushroomDynamo

Jul 29, 2019
Like, by the end of April I have a suspicion that only a few core mods are going to be holding us up.

Yeah, that's true, I'm just more commenting on the fact that there's so many features (particularly in large installations) that there isn't really any need to update...I'll update to 1.5 when everything's good and ready, but not before since I'm perfectly happy sitting on my 1.4.7 stuff.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's true, I'm just more commenting on the fact that there's so many features (particularly in large installations) that there isn't really any need to update...I'll update to 1.5 when everything's good and ready, but not before since I'm perfectly happy sitting on my 1.4.7 stuff.

I am just sad I can't get a few rad 1.5 things from my mods. Although vanilla hoppers are really good. In fact, it's funny how good they are because they make Gregtech's automation look asinine. Power transfer on one face is not worth the extra cost for those things when vanilla hoppers exist. Already it was only useful for very specific kinds of builds.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Someone should make a 1.5 mod which would add all the stuff from 1.5 but for 1.4.7 :p

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
nothing in the vanilla 1.5 update excites me, and no mods 1.5 updates excite me enough to want to drop RP2 (lets be honest, we all know it'll be the last major mod to update)

Reactions: ShneekeyTheLost