How long until you get bored on a new world?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
When I die (like I just did) and I lose all my stuff (like I just did). Well, not my whole base but all my good tools and everything. Hard to motivate to reassemble everything. This is why I generally play SSP so I can make backups of my world file. SMP is so frustrating, although I admit this is not the worst that can happen on SMP considering griefing and all. But it's painful.

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
I'm constantly trying to add more mods and fix issues. So I try to play worlds till I break them, usually a month or 2. I'm debating redoing the pack I've got now cause I've got some odd recipe issues and can't smelt lava from anything in the magma crucible or make buckets without IC2. I would really like to get it working without a reset but I've barely setup my first machines (been building an awesome house and storage pagoda) but if I'm finding things like this now what will I find towards end game. Only had one world I got bored with and wasn't really bored. Was my first technic world, on an older crappy machine. Played about 5-15 fps, so couldn't go around a lot or setup massive pipe setups. Eventually got my EE2 stuff going with mystcraft, loaded up on resources, went outside and realized in all that time taint had taken over the land. That one lasted almost 6 months. Didn't feel like moving away and trying to clean it up later.

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019
I once had a brilliant world. Brilliant as in the perfect biomes (fen overlooking a river with a meadow on the other side, bordered by highlands taken straight out of Scottish TV), and a well built house.

I eventually got sick of the whole thing and scrapped it. A while later, I decided to restore one of the backups and continue playing it. So much had changed in Biomes o Plenty that the whole world had corrupted itself. I eventually decided to regenerate the world from scratch and MCedit the house back in. Biomes O Plenty didn't recognize the seed and ended up generating something completely different. I then decided to just force BoP to generate specific biomes, in hope that I could recreate the world. BoP generated huge chunk glitches when I reenabled everything, and no amount of MCedit could fix that. Ragequit.

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest challenge I have accepted is to have every automation I can have near my base and not lag my world. It's hard to do, requires a lot of thinking and planning, need to constantly rebuild stuff and optimize. And I generally don't destroy any
build because it's inefficient, otherwise my goal gets too easy.
You should play a themed pack like the one Jaded has put out there.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
My new world setup is virtually the same everytime:
- I mine and get a little bit of TE3 automated ore processing going.
- I make a smeltery and get some tinkerer's construct tools.
- I make a forestry tree farm, which quickly supplies me with nearly unlimited charcoal/saplings.
- I start pumping lava out of the nether, resulting in 2 methods of basically-unlimited power only a few hours into a world.
- I set up a quarry.
- I start messing with Thaumcraft, but tend to stop messing with it after getting the boots, equal trade, and some golems.
- I set up the golems to automate a basic wheat/food farm.
- By now I have basically infinite materials just from the quarry, so I setup a basic AE storage system.
- I set up a couple 36HP steam boilers for no apparent reason, resulting in very overkill power generation.
- After struggling to find anything else to do I generally start working on bee/tree breeding, but I never get very far.
- At this point I usually stop playing, come back a month later, and repeat process.

The whole process generally is done in 2-3 days, and around 20-25 hours. I have a hard time branching off and using mods I didn't "learn" the game with, mainly because it's pretty hard to learn new mods and I end up wasting materials/time. I've looked at my other options and they usually don't appeal to me for various reasons, either they are harder to automate or just more annoying to setup (Arcane bore vs Quarry, etc). I've tried building, but I lack creativity of any kind and tend to build 9x9s for most my stuff. Playing by yourself doesn't help either because making anything impressive doesn't mean much when no one else is there to see it.

How long do you guys tend to last on a new world?

You have the same complaints I had for months. Almost exactly the same. Although I would try new mods, which you should definitely try, it makes things fun again. I was frustrated with the fact that one day of automated mining would give me enough resources to build everything. As a guy said on the IC2 forums recently "I like to build things for a reason. Building just to build is boring for me."

Survival implies 'struggle' and you aren't ahving any sort of struggle to succeed, which it sounds like is what you are looking for. My own solution meant removing a bunch of the most efficient mods and some specific items that make things too easy (IMO). The biggest solution, unfortunately, is gregtech. It gives a lot of what you are probably looking for, but also adds a ton of crafting which a lot of people dont like. If you havent tried it, try it. You wont be in the situation you are in within a couple days, thats for sure. :)

Forestry has difficulty levels. Try moving up to Hard. You use fertilizer faster so you cant pump out as much wood. Remove Ender Chests mod and Tesseracts, now getting lava nether is a real challenge. Gregtech makes quarries a mid game item, but if you dont use that increase the power draw of the quarry in teh config file by 10x. Now it takes 500 mj/t to get it going full speed.

A gregtech industrial grinder is slow, which means more power draw per ore. It takes more power per head, again more power draw. 4 heads takes 512 eu/t or almost two full boilers to run. Compare this to a Pulverizer which takes 4 mj/t (rf, etc.). This is the big imbalance in how mods are made. Mods offer ways to get massive power really fast... and then have each machine use a tiny tiny trickle of power. They want to ensure their items get used early in a world.

You can also set the tinkers construct smeltery to 1 ingot per ore, so you have to use other ways to double ores. Cut the fuel values for TE machines to amke them burn more fuel, and/or use the steel and diamond recipes so slow you down even more.

There are a lot of other ways to do this too. Pretending there is no infinite water is HUGE, and a lot of fun. Or use a real mod that makes water finite. Creativity for bigger builds just takes practice, many of the people who build better are older too, which helps. Youve seen more things, have more ideas, etc. If you want more ideas send me a PM.

Reactions: Padfoote

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
new map, again. this time though, i think i'm going straight to hell.

i found this nice wooded area next to a mountain with a village situated half on top of it, half inside it, and half on the ground in front of it. yes the village is that awesome that it has 3 halfs. also has a twin village a short distance away. i'm surveying the land right now for a rail line connecting the villages to transport villagers. one village will be the food and fuel for my evil empire.
dvv3.png

if i keep removing the villagers with rail, the village will continue spawning them (at a fast pace, i'll be upgrading it obviously). i could just keep them to breeding cells like i normally do, but minecraft is about difference. so i'm building a testificate concentration camp. may god have mercy on my soul.

edit: maybe i should change to sphax. it's not so bad massacring jawas because of the horrid noises they make.

Reactions: Jack0928PC

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Be proud of me... 2 days since I started my world (Decante et Regne pack, a magic pack I'm developing), and I have yet to get bored. Here's my progress:

- A bunch of research, got my master degree and such. Still need to get to making an infusion setup... Tomorrow maybe?
- An absolute ton of mining. Metallurgy makes it pretty fun. Gonna turn down the oregen rates even more I think. Anyway, double chest filled with orecrap and such.
- Tons of nodes waypointed. Got a node for almost everything, except Ordo.
- Decent TCon setup, pretty large smeltery, lovin' it. Nicely incorporated into my humble abode.

Goals for tomorrow:
- Nether portal.
- TF portal.
- Infusion setup.
- Start Blood Magic.
- Start Ars Magica.
- Make an automated treefarm with golems.
- Start Witchery.

I'm loving actually playing MC again. Except Creepers... One turned up in my basement. Went down the ladder aaand... BOOM! I even lost an Ender Lily seed :(.

Reactions: zorn

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Playing on a server really helps, This way the life time of the world isn't just dependent on you. Also having other players to impress makes it alot more motivating to get things done and continue on.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Build something nice. Like actually nice. Like build a castle. Then do everything you did while making it look nice. I tend to start off with tech and materials and power and stuff. After you're done with everything, set up AE for storage and stuff. Then automate everything you did so far with tech so you don't have to make annoying things like pistons or another Railcraft steam boiler, etc. Then automate ALL the machines, even if you don't think it's possible because it is possible. Then start into magic. I tend to have already started with Thaumcraft because it's awesome. Attempt to max out in everything in magic because it's possible and very cool to do so. Design a magic building with all the new materials that you have. Make it large and good. Then automate the magic while trying to make everything look nice. I recommend Blood Magic, Witchery, Thaumcraft. Then do Ars Magica, but focus more on the bosses as a late game "challenge." If you want to, you can start off with Ars Magica 2 earlier so that you have a decent arsenal of spells and mana and stuff to use against the late game bosses. I tend to try and test both tech and magic against the bosses to see if they're better. First build an arena for each of the separate bosses leading to a nexus room in your magic room that looks fancy and stuff. Then try and kill all the bosses. After this, build another separate base. Pretty much the "ultimate" sanctuary. Make it super nice, super large, preferably far away from your base. Make sure to include rooms for both tech and magic. A different dimension with Mystcraft would be decent. But make sure to plan out where everything will go beforehand, so that everything fits nicely and look good. Then grab exactly 2 steaks, your "ultimate" weapon and your "everyday" weapon, an Ars Magica projectile spell, and another projectile weapon of your choice if you want to. You can also pack a couple of heal and regen vanilla potions. Also have a portal to the Deep Dark, and materials necessary to go to the Twilight Forest as well as the Moo Moo Dimension. Then "banish" yourself from your sanctuary and promise to never go back (for the time being). Go briefly into OP mode, teleport yourself a couple thousand blocks away from your house. Make a Twilight Forest, go briefly into OP mode and teleport yourself a couple thousand blocks away from where the portal is. Remember to screenshot the coordinates. Then place the portal to the Deep Dark and go to the Deep Dark. Go to OP mode and teleport yourself a couple thousand blocks away (coordinates!) then enter the Moo Moo Dimension. Teleport yourself a couple thousand blocks away. Now what you have to do is make your way back to the base. Basically you have to fight through the Moo Moo Dimension, then the Deep Dark, then the Twilight Forest, and then the overworld. This should be fairly simple. Also, you can't pass a boss monster in any of these dimensions, but HAVE to fight it. You also cannot pass a Deep Dark dungeon but have to conquer it. Also make sure to have a large storage unit on you, like a bunch of backpacks or something to hold everything you will acquire. You can't have a way to send everything back to your base. I haven't actually done the last part, because I'm still in the early game of my new world, but this is what I plan to do. :D Any thoughts from anyone who actually read this?

Reactions: Padfoote

ESchrodingersCat

Jul 29, 2019
As someone whose accustomed to building massive castles and palaces in creative mode, my goal in survival is always to achieve automated and infinite supplies of as many of the decorative blocks as I can. For instance, get UU matter so I can have infinite clay and lapis to make bricks and lapis bricks. Collect all the blaze spawners in the nether so I can use grinders to get mob essence so I can make an MFR cow farm solely for the purpose of having infinite raw beef to make the bloodstained bricks from railcraft. Get into forestry so I can get the glowstone bees so I can infinite glowstone illuminators. Etc. That usually keeps me busy for quite a while because i spend just as much if not more time building random structures as I do using the mods. That usually keeps me occupied for quite a while, and I start a new world every time ftb moves to a new version of minecraft (Ultimate --> Unleashed --> Monster). I generally have two worlds going on at the same time--my creative world and my survival world--so when I feel myself getting bored with one, I switch to the other and go back to the first when I get the motivation. That usually keeps me sticking with worlds for a while.