How long until you get bored on a new world?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
My new world setup is virtually the same everytime:
[boring pattern of boring]
Sounds like you need a new game.

I can go for several months on a map; usually servers die or maps get corrupted before I'm satisfied with my work.[DOUBLEPOST=1393538147][/DOUBLEPOST]
I also usually use AE late-game, if only to help me organize. By the time I get to an AE MAC, I get bored with the world since there is little challenge left.
Then you're starting your AE/MAC phase way too late :D

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Me? What I tend to do is set up a big billboard(or use a bibliocraft clipboard) and set a whole bunch of goals for myself. I usually last a couple months.
And my friend never seems to be done. I so much as mention a world reset and he gets cranky. Getting the map reset is a nightmare with him.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
i'll be honest, i've been bored with modded minecraft for a long time. these days, to even log in, i have to think of ridiculous ideas. villager meat powered atomicscience turbines, "darkness" power, and basically anything else that makes the wife go "o_O"

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
i'll be honest, i've been bored with modded minecraft for a long time. these days, to even log in, i have to think of ridiculous ideas. villager meat powered atomicscience turbines, "darkness" power, and basically anything else that makes the wife go "o_O"
Sounds like someone needs to play Dwarf Fortress instead of minecraft. <whistles innocently while covering signature>

Reactions: netmc

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
If I get bored I start terraforming. Terraforming for what? Good question. I'll never know. I just start making stuff look ways and eventually get some inspiration to build something on it. At least I used to. These days I'll play for awhile, find myself not knowing what to do and jumping around my base only logging in to talk to people(server). At that point I first go to google image search and type in something sorta random. Something like "inspire the one true master"(I'm serious). Just look at all the pictures for awhile then go back in game and get rid of everything I have. I generally keep armor/AG genes to make the next part easier. I just fly(Or run) around looking at different areas waiting for something to jump out at me. Once I find a spot I then decide how I'll terraform it and decide on how I'll incorporate things that caught my eye in the google search into the base/village. I'll then only gather some basic starting stuff to have tools that'll get the job done easier.

Enchantment setup for that nice shovel of the earthmover I got. Fuck I broke that thanks to lag. Guess I'll do tinkers for an excavator. Now that I have tinkers I can make that lumber axe to tear down all these redwoods. 220 stacks of redwood logs later. Man gathering all this dirt is annoying for building this place up. I'll make a turtle and code it to harvest some earth magical crops for me. Now I gotta make this damn lake. Well I'll try it the vanilla way for now. Makes some extruders... 200 stacks of cobble placed later... Fuck this sucks I hate vanilla ._. Well I guess I could try that rotarycraft liquid spiller. Start the rotary tech tree. Now I've gotta break all this cobble... This stone hammer kinda blows repairing so often. I'll setup some more TE3 stuff so I can add power to it and make a capacitor to charge it.

That's about where I am now. It's taken me about a week of 4-6 hours a day. I've loved it quite a bit. I personally find that combining a couple of the subgroups within the main playstyles works best for me. Building(Asthetically) and Building(Tech) for a reason. This has helped me shy away from the "Must have all the things" type playing that a lot of people do(Which isn't to say it's a bad thing it was just boring for me). You build for what you need and while you can generally have the things you need when you need them you don't have enough to go in complete excess. Also never build a chunkloader. They feed that "must have all the things" style if you want to get away from that.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
I would say I'm the same as OP, but I can last a little bit longer, I love to build things but I rarely finish anything I start and suddently, I'm tired of it and start doing something else and I totally forgot what I was doing. if it was only for me, I would start a new world on a new modpack every 2-3 months max, but my brother is a bee breading genius, let me tell you with the Extra Bee's and Magic Bee's there's a lot of stuff you don't want to start doing all over again so we're stuck to a modpack for a longer time than usual. I'm the same, I love a lot of mods but tend to play only with the ones I love the most and when I'm bored, I add more mods to the pack even if I didn't touch many of the ones that are in the pack even if I wanted to play with them really badly at first...

I decided to start building a Medieval themed Castle, and now that the walls and 4 main towers are done, I find that the size is way too small and I already think of starting a new much larger build, would love to build a massive one (around 256x256 in mind at the moment) with someone else, my brother isn't a real fan of building large things so I'm stuck all by myself at the moment since I don't wanna risk any public servers since Griefers are just waiting to waste my time again (been there done that in 2012, multiple times, my solution, never ever play again on a server that isn't mine... So much time wasted to theses idiot kids that love to brag and show their carnage on youtube...

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just sounds like you need to find a project and avoid any "easy" approaches to achieve that project. It doesn't matter too much if you can't make nice looking builds, just do the best you can, just avoid those 9x9 cobblestone structures. You might want a brief break, then one day you'll see something, which will plant the seed of an idea.

Currently I've spent 3 nights in a test world trying out different things for a big project in mind.

I want a high tech facility using Mekanism, and other mods when Mekanism fails me (and avoiding MFR and massive quarries). That includes the highly expensive 5x ore processing chain. But I want to build the walls/floors/decoration out of MFR seared bricks and the 3 tiers of ICBM concrete. All expensive building materials when you need a lot of it. Biggest hurdle is clay. Mekansim can make clay using dirt, so I need a way to make dirt. Only way in my pack is to use a Forestry Moistener, so I need to somehow integrate a wheat farm(s) into my build.
Plus, I'm adding an extra challenge of not using infinite water via any method that replicates infinite water source blocks, but I don't want to pump an ocean dry either. That means Forestry Rain tanks, Railcraft Water Towers, and I'm even going to make a large build of Accumulators to pretend it's a wind trap type of thing (think of Dune). The Mekansim processes need a lot of water for it's 5x ore processing. Now I've added a Forestry Farm, that's more water. Water is going to be a big problem beyond the hassle of plumbing in some pipes.
Then I want to have all the resources stored in an AE system, that's going take a lot of power, and so is all the Mek stuff (configs in pack increase power requirements), so along with the water shortage, I'm going to have power shortages. I'll need to build some failsafe systems into the build, then build a Big Reactor system.
Yellowite isn't renewable by default, but my pack has a horribly expensive way of producing it, building that will be a pain, then I need a way of feeding that system to make Yellowite.
Then I want some Thaumcraft iron golems running around the place just for looks, so I'll need to take a break doing a bit of Thaumcraft stuff. Plus for looks, some Railcraft Smokers and if they can be redstone controlled, activate them when the machines are running (if possible, haven't a clue!)
Plus a side goal is to try and make use of every resource that comes into the base. That could mean even more technology. I may even have to add some custom recipes to ensure that the useless can be processed into something else slightly less useless.

The above is only some of the stuff I want to put into my build!

One all that is done, (phew!), then I'll be building a space rocket to fly to the moon, then to mars, then a orbital base. All require a ton of resources. Oh, plus build a stargate on each planet.

By the time all that's done, I think I'll be ready for Minecraft 1.9.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
My personal rule is to never "Create" an infinite water supply for the purpose of industry. Water MUST be obtained by piping it from a nearby, naturally spawned, and sufficiently large looking, supply of infinite water. I am happy to say nature takes care of keeping the lake full.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
My personal rule is to never "Create" an infinite water supply for the purpose of industry. Water MUST be obtained by piping it from a nearby, naturally spawned, and sufficiently large looking, supply of infinite water. I am happy to say nature takes care of keeping the lake full.
That's what I'm thinking on this build. While wont be pumping out of the water (unless I'm forced to) I'm placing my water towers by the water edge, and have pipes going into the water to look like they are taking out the water. I might even use an AA as an emergency system. If water level is low, a redstone signal turns it on, otherwise not. Would help during any rare long dry spells. Cost wise, just the same as pump. Hmm, something else to add to my build :p

Dylan4ever

Jul 29, 2019
My longest-lasting world was my personal techpack in 1.5.2. It lasted a week or two I think. Currently, I get bored with survival quickly, and go develop the Erebus or update my packs with new mods.

Most of my worlds last a day. I never got to end-game. I'm a pretty lousy player xD.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
My longest-lasting world was my personal techpack in 1.5.2. It lasted a week or two I think. Currently, I get bored with survival quickly, and go develop the Erebus or update my packs with new mods.

Most of my worlds last a day. I never got to end-game. I'm a pretty lousy player xD.
Wow, and yet you've been hooked enough to develop a great alternate dimension mod. Big thumbs up!

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
I get bored pretty quickly which is why for a year, or more, I play only in Hardcore mode. I think I prefer the promise of new beginnings.

I'm the same way with irl jobs, lovers, apartments...

Reactions: John.E

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
I hate starting over. I have my first SSP world that has gone through Vanilla 1.3, Better Than Wolves, 1.4 Vanilla, MindCrack Pack, Ultimate Pack, and now Monster. I have every intention of dragging it along to 1.7 when that becomes viable. I have a hard time playing on servers because "World Reset" is a buzz kill for me. Cliffs between terrain changes can be dug out or blown away. Redoing my automation is daunting.

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I hate starting over. I have my first SSP world that has gone through Vanilla 1.3, Better Than Wolves, 1.4 Vanilla, MindCrack Pack, Ultimate Pack, and now Monster. I have every intention of dragging it along to 1.7 when that becomes viable. I have a hard time playing on servers because "World Reset" is a buzz kill for me. Cliffs between terrain changes can be dug out or blown away. Redoing my automation is daunting.

I personally can't stick with a world as long as you have since I almost always corrupt it within a few months, but that's very impressive. Do you still live in the same area that you first did, or have you moved to a new area with each update?

Reactions: MigukNamja

IMarvinTPA

Jul 29, 2019
I personally can't stick with a world as long as you have since I almost always corrupt it within a few months, but that's very impressive. Do you still live in the same area that you first did, or have you moved to a new area with each update?
I do. Although I recently built a road out to a ravine my son has set up his little home in. I have a couple YouTube video tours. I keep meaning to make an updated tour to show some of the new buildings. I have innumerable backups, especially lately since I make a backup nearly every-other-day and every time I do a MidasGold pass. I've had some interesting corruptions. Warning: Ender Storage does not move from 1.5 or earlier to 1.6 well. You must delete the ender storage files or the mod will force chunks with chests to reset. It was quite painful when my desert happened to be a red rock mountain range when I was testing my initial 1.4.7 to 1.6.4 conversions. I have also learned a command for 7zip to make a difference 7z file between your current files and a reference 7z file.

Reactions: Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I usually last 15 minutes, 14 of which is trying to find a spot to build a home, 45 seconds of which is thinking if this spot is nice enough, and 10 seconds of waiting for the game to quit correctly.
If this issue doesn't occur, takes months IRL for me to get sick of a base, and then it's off to find a new home, which can take weeks IRL to find.

Assuming I'm playing Minecraft only ATM. Usually it's MC and many other games.