How long until you get bored on a new world?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
My new world setup is virtually the same everytime:
- I mine and get a little bit of TE3 automated ore processing going.
- I make a smeltery and get some tinkerer's construct tools.
- I make a forestry tree farm, which quickly supplies me with nearly unlimited charcoal/saplings.
- I start pumping lava out of the nether, resulting in 2 methods of basically-unlimited power only a few hours into a world.
- I set up a quarry.
- I start messing with Thaumcraft, but tend to stop messing with it after getting the boots, equal trade, and some golems.
- I set up the golems to automate a basic wheat/food farm.
- By now I have basically infinite materials just from the quarry, so I setup a basic AE storage system.
- I set up a couple 36HP steam boilers for no apparent reason, resulting in very overkill power generation.
- After struggling to find anything else to do I generally start working on bee/tree breeding, but I never get very far.
- At this point I usually stop playing, come back a month later, and repeat process.

The whole process generally is done in 2-3 days, and around 20-25 hours. I have a hard time branching off and using mods I didn't "learn" the game with, mainly because it's pretty hard to learn new mods and I end up wasting materials/time. I've looked at my other options and they usually don't appeal to me for various reasons, either they are harder to automate or just more annoying to setup (Arcane bore vs Quarry, etc). I've tried building, but I lack creativity of any kind and tend to build 9x9s for most my stuff. Playing by yourself doesn't help either because making anything impressive doesn't mean much when no one else is there to see it.

How long do you guys tend to last on a new world?

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
About ten minutes.
:(
I try to set some rules for myself such as only ever using TCon stuff, and avoid using things that feel way too easy for me (like Nether lava and quarries), but even so I run out of ideas of what to do pretty fast. Not even adventuring mods like Chocolate Quest or Roguelike Dungeons help much.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I normally last until I break the world irreparably through corruption or some sort, and don't feel like rolling back

So that's normally months worth of time.

In my opinion the game gets good when you get to the stage that you do

But what exactly do you do after you get infinite power, and basically infinite items after ~20 hours?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
But what exactly do you do after you get infinite power, and basically infinite items after ~20 hours?
Build

I'm currently 'completing' Thaumcraft + Thaumic tinkerer, so make the items for that
Then I'm going to build some "temples" for bosses that are added by different mods, so Ars magica and blood magic are what I'm going to do first.
I'm also working on improving my bee set up.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Worlds last pretty long for me since I do not spend a lot of time per day on minecraft now as well as me being incapable of concentrating on a single project. Most of my time are spent on dabbling a bit of this and a little of that, accomplishing nothing most of the time.

And when I get to the unlimited power and infinite materials stage, that is when I start planning for some huge projects or themed projects.

Though my world doesn't go that far before a major update comes along and me starting a new world because of it...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
1) Start a new base from scratch using said materials at a larger scale
2) Automate annoying/frequently used stuff
3) Shutdown autmatic mining operations (or filter for only the things I am short on)
4) Engineer buildings rather than factories
5) Build museums for the early items I started out with (I dont throw those things away for some reason)
6) Slap some lipstick on the pig that is my base
7) Decide I still cant take that pig to The Big Dance and start a new base from scratch with athestetics in mind

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
When I have built everything that I can possibly think of.
Or when an updated mod pack for the next version of minecraft comes out.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Generally i restart a world when either it gets corrupted and recovering would be equivalent to restarting or when I goof up and for example that nuclear generator in the basement has a bad day and levels my base.

I don't usually get to the infinite resources/power stage in my builds. At least I never feel like I do because either something comes along to absorb my stockpile (I'm looking at you rotarycraft) or I decide to build an iron tower or something equally silly. I mean last world, before the extreme power overflow event I decided to guild my blood magic and witchery areas which progressed to almost 1/2 completeness before I irradiated/evaporated the town I built in.
Of course I also haven't set up automatic mining since I played with Mekanis's miner when it first came out a couple months ago. And the last time I built a Railcraft boiler was in 1.5. I find limiting myself and not really wanting to actually bother to set up a quarry and all the processing involved with that really helps extend my gameplay. I generally go caving, get a hammer or drill, or just rely on passive generation for my material needs.

So ya, TLDR basically this:
I normally last until I break the world irreparably through corruption or some sort, and don't feel like rolling back

So that's normally months worth of time.

In my opinion the game gets good when you get to the stage that you do

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on the pack. I don't play the "all the things" packs any more cause I get bored too fast from having done the mod progression a million times. Instead I play the smaller themed challenge packs. And I spend time trying to make incredibly complex and compact factories...

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Playing Minecraft is like building a sports car.
If you concentrate on the tech part - making the engine - you can make a "thing" pretty quickly that produces a lot of power. But its just an engine. You now need to use that power to make something visually breathtaking.

More to the point:
* If you get bored, don't start a new game. Put all your stuff in a chest, and move to a new location to "Start over". This way one of your meta goals becomes producing a transportation hub linking your various attempts.
* At each new location, choose a mod out of the pack (assuming you have an all-the-things pack like monster) to concentrate on. Make each "restart" dedicated to rotary craft, or Railcraft, or IC2 exp, or AE.
* Finally, having tried our various engine configurations, go somewhere and "build the car". Make a castle and populate it with testificates. Try a building challenge like refugee to regent and build a @#$(*ing city. Build towers and parks and things that have no purpose other than to be the focus of a screenshot.

timmsy1986

Jul 29, 2019
my ultimate map has been going nearly a year, unleashed lasted 3 months, attack of the b team so far 1 month and going well

necrodermis

Jul 29, 2019
I usually start looking for ways to combine multiple mods to solve problems. For example before MFR: soul shards + portal gun + thaumcraft + buildcraft = very, very compact and efficient gold/xp farm.

Each mod usually has blocks that have little use by themselves but with other mods they can be used to be exploited to do creative or interesting things.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I might get bored a few times, but will come back again after a while and continue the build. So my worlds generally last 6 months or more. Generally until the next generation of modpacks is available.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I move on when I've gotten about all I think I can get out of the current world / modpack. Every time I start a new world, I try to do things differently than before, which is usually:

• Different biome as my base
  • Different kind of theme for my base. ex: underground, on the surface, floating, on the water, underwater, rectangular, spherical, one huge base, many smaller bases, etc.,.
  • Different mods to focus on, ex: Thaumcraft, Ars, Forestry and its dependents like ExtraBees and Trees, Gendustry, etc.,.
  • Different ways to generate power, ex: lava, charcoal, biofuel, nuclear, food, glowstone, etc.,.
  • Different ways to generate resources, ex: quarry, MFR laser, bees, by hand (TiCo hammer)
  • Different things to do, ex: adventure, build beautiful bases, build a rail system, breed every kind of bee, build a clever factory, build a clever mob trap/spawner, cleanup TC taint, etc.,.

My staple mods are always:

• TiCo
  • ThermalExpansion
  • Thaumcraft

I also usually use AE late-game, if only to help me organize. By the time I get to an AE MAC, I get bored with the world since there is little challenge left.

Reactions: Zexks and RedBoss

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
When I am done! A mod or pack just gives me tools and new ways too facilitate the builds I get in my head. I may be end game in the mod blocks , but that doesn't mean that the kingdom I started building is done.

Try being creative and making a super build not just a base, but a whole new world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Any time I've tried in 1.6.4... too quickly. I want to keep playing but I just find Minecraft to be very boring right now. In 1.5.2 I made what I believe to be the pinnacle of my design abilities, whenever I try to make anything now it either seems crappy compared to my 1.5.2 base or it's exactly the same, not so good :/

NicoAD

Jul 29, 2019
I am at end-game right now and my goal from the beginning is to make minecraft civilized.

I made skyscrapers and industry buildings and populated them with mobs.