How large is your world in memory space?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea how SSDs function or how they're different from dynamic memory.

Could I convert SSD space into dynamic memory using Ramdisk or can I only do that with my HDD.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
SSD's are flash memory. Basically they use the same chips that are in usb thumb drives, but the stuff from thumb drives is the left overs from SSD's that wasn't good enough quality. This means they don't lose the stored data when power is no longer applied.

If you have a modern SSD its often fast enough for yourself in SSP or a small SMP server. Anything below 10 players and you shouldn't really need a RAMdisk.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
So RAMdisk > SSD or is it because you can convert SSD memory to RAMdisk as well.

A ramdisk is better than an SSD, because it takes a chunk of your computer RAM and converts it to function like a regular hard drive. However, because of the nature of ram, this ramdisk cannot store anything long-term because once you reboot the computer, all the contents of the ramdisk will be gone. So this is typically remedied by "periodic" backups to a normal storage drive (e.g., regular HDD/SSD).

See here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive

If you're not familiar with it, I suggest you stick with regular SSDs. Finicking with RAMdisks require with some degree of technical know-how. If you're happy with your performance on a SSD, then don't bother going for a ramdisk. I just personally like them given how easy it is to set them up in Linux (i.e., I play minecraft on linux because its performance is superior on crappier laptops)

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have to write scripts to write your world to memory?

I'm not very good with command prompt and such. I only program in C++ and other basic languages.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have to write scripts to write your world to memory?

I'm not very good with command prompt and such. I only program in C++ and other basic languages.

Yeah, pretty much. On my dedicated server (i.e., an old laptop), I have a ramdisk of 700mb that is backed up hourly to the SSD and also when the computer shutsdown. When the computer boots up, it loads the backup to the RAMdrive again. It is all done automatically in linux via scripts so once it is set up, you dont have to mess with it any further. One advantage I've yet to mention so far is that using a ramdisk for dedicated servers reduces the amount of writes done to a SSD as the writing is all done in RAM and only written to the SSD once every hour.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Do writes cause the SSD to deteriorate?
The flash memory in SSDs have a limited number of read and write cycles. Individual cells tend to only last a couple hundred thousand (SLC) to only ten thousand (MLC, TLC) cycles. Modern SSDs have onboard controllers which average wear across the entire drive, and the drives have extra cells to handle some errors, so most commercially-available disks have 100k or 1million writes -- enough to last a few years of constant high-speed access.

((Speaking from practical experience with 20+ SSDs, the typical failure mode is the disk's onboard controller going bad or firmware toasting itself, not write cycle wearout. That said, SSD controller errors are frustratingly common: make sure to backup your data.))
Is it possible to store the game save file on a different drive than the server folder?
Yes, although depending on what level of fidelity you need, you may need to set up hard links or junction points (depending on OS).

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Mines about a year old. Things just load faster from memory space is all. No lag and the game doesn't take a forever to start up. Is nice.

It would help if you did not misuse terminologies ;)

RAM is entirely different from harddrives (and SSDs). At first you asked about the space a world is using on people's harddrives. It's best not to use the term "memory space" for that because in general when people use the term "memory" by itself they're referring to RAM.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The flash memory in SSDs have a limited number of read and write cycles. Individual cells tend to only last a couple hundred thousand (SLC) to only ten thousand (MLC, TLC) cycles. Modern SSDs have onboard controllers which average wear across the entire drive, and the drives have extra cells to handle some errors, so most commercially-available disks have 100k or 1million writes -- enough to last a few years of constant high-speed access.

((Speaking from practical experience with 20+ SSDs, the typical failure mode is the disk's onboard controller going bad or firmware toasting itself, not write cycle wearout. That said, SSD controller errors are frustratingly common: make sure to backup your data.))

Yes, although depending on what level of fidelity you need, you may need to set up hard links or junction points (depending on OS).
Yeah, I only have my OS and "high-access" programs like Java, Flash, etc. on my SSD. With the exception of FTB, everything else is saved my HDD. Plus my SSD is only 64 GB.[DOUBLEPOST=1373302604][/DOUBLEPOST]
It would help if you did not misuse terminologies ;)

RAM is entirely different from harddrives (and SSDs). At first you asked about the space a world is using on people's harddrives. It's best not to use the term "memory space" for that because in general when people use the term "memory" by itself they're referring to RAM.
Meh, I think memory is RAM and referring to "space" or even "memory space" as hard drive space. It may be hard to infer, but I believe in most posters.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, I think memory is RAM and referring to "space" or even "memory space" as hard drive space. It may be hard to infer, but I believe in most posters.

Doesn't change the fact that it's easier to communicate if you don't make up your own definition. If for you "memory" is ram and "space" is the harddrive, then what is "memory space"? It's not clear, that's all I'm saying. In IT most people use "memory" for RAM and "diskspace" for how large a set of files is on your harddrive.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't change the fact that it's easier to communicate if you don't make up your own definition. If for you "memory" is ram and "space" is the harddrive, then what is "memory space"? It's not clear, that's all I'm saying. In IT most people use "memory" for RAM and "diskspace" for how large a set of files is on your harddrive.

I just use ducks for referring to RAM and platypus when referring to storage.

That said, putting minecraft on a duckdrive doesnt really do much good. It only reduces the tottal ducks on a system with little benefit. All the textures and mods are going to be loaded faster than they are processed overall so your platypus wont be the bottleneck. Perhaps on server setups where there is a ton more I/O it would help. Ducks are also more volatile than platypus, so you have to keep backing them up, or youre squrewed. And everytime you back up your entire MC folder from the duck to the platypus thats a performance hit. Not worth the trouble!

My old SSP world is 1.2Gigaplatypus

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I just use ducks for referring to RAM and platypus when referring to storage.

That said, putting minecraft on a duckdrive doesnt really do much good. It only reduces the tottal ducks on a system with little benefit. All the textures and mods are going to be loaded faster than they are processed overall so your platypus wont be the bottleneck. Perhaps on server setups where there is a ton more I/O it would help. Ducks are also more volatile than platypus, so you have to keep backing them up, or youre squrewed. And everytime you back up your entire MC folder from the duck to the platypus thats a performance hit. Not worth the trouble!

I don't use avian-based systems. I'm more partial to the feline system so I measure my throughput in gigapussies.