How large is your world in memory space?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Our server is at about 8gb and climbing.
Ugh, can't compete with a server. How much memory does it need to run? I sometimes push around 1.5 GB before it recycles the dynamic memory. Not sure on what, but meh. I'm no computer expert.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh, can't compete with a server. How much memory does it need to run? I sometimes push around 1.5 GB before it recycles the dynamic memory. Not sure on what, but meh. I'm no computer expert.

We seldom go above 1.5gb total memory. The server will crash at 3gb usage

tobi1449

Jul 29, 2019
If you are playing SSP just keep in mind that essentially you run a complete server + your own client in that process so it's completely normal that your ram usage is higher than with a server alone ;)

Our world now has about 1.2GB (and it's becoming a little bit too big with hourly backups :( )

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Been cycling mods and worlds more often of late, but previously had a SSP world up to 1.3gb

Partly, depends a lot on how much you explore.

Reactions: RedBoss

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
About 350mb for the entire backup on a dedicated machine that's loaded on a RAM-disk, with a cap of 1 gb ram usage for just 2 players.

Ramdisks rock for anything minecraft related.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Bleh. How can I improve my memory usage? Though that isn't so much of a problem since I have 8 GB.

Another question, how to improve video stuff. Does opti-fine increase the load on the video card? If so, I am definitely removing it. I get ~20 FPS sometimes. It's painful and I can't build/play efficiently. Well I can, I just don't like it.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
I run a server for me and, my girlfriend that averages near two gigs. Sure, there's over one hundred and twenty six mods running currently but, my last server averaged near the same running eighty mods. The world file its self is comparatively small, somewhere between one hundred and two hundred megabytes.

You're in no way going to squeeze more performance out of this game. I've gone as far as to update the rendering engine Minecraft uses to the most recent version, I got a bit of a boost but, nothing worth writing home about. In short, the game is a poorly coded horribly optimized mess under the hood. Add several to several hundred mods coded by teens/college students/novice programmers using a programming language that will actually compile a broken program.. All I can say is, good luck keeping a hold on memory usage. It's better to plan ahead and, assume that your memory usage is going to climb gradually as you add more to your world. Be mindful of processor usage as well, it can sneak up on you. Specifically with sound generating machines (hundreds of Wind Turbines from UE). Or my personal favorite, the patented RichardG Speaker Box of pointless lag.

Another issue with Minecraft is that it still renders using your processor. Sure, certain graphical effects have been offloaded to the GPU over time however, even with my dated gpu I still barely average fifteen percent usage even with Optifine. You can test this by moving your camera while monitoring your CPU usage.

Reactions: PoisonWolf

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
I run a server for me and, my girlfriend that averages near two gigs. Sure, there's over one hundred and twenty six mods running currently but, my last server averaged near the same running eighty mods. The world file its self is comparatively small, somewhere between one hundred and two hundred megabytes.

You're in no way going to squeeze more performance out of this game. I've gone as far as to update the rendering engine Minecraft uses to the most recent version, I got a bit of a boost but, nothing worth writing home about. In short, the game is a poorly coded horribly optimized mess under the hood. Add several to several hundred mods coded by teens/college students/novice programmers using a programming language that will actually compile a broken program.. All I can say is, good luck keeping a hold on memory usage. It's better to plan ahead and, assume that your memory usage is going to climb gradually as you add more to your world. Be mindful of processor usage as well, it can sneak up on you. Specifically with sound generating machines (hundreds of Wind Turbines from UE). Or my personal favorite, the patented RichardG Speaker Box of pointless lag.

Another issue with Minecraft is that it still renders using your processor. Sure, certain graphical effects have been offloaded to the GPU over time however, even with my dated gpu I still barely average fifteen percent usage even with Optifine. You can test this by moving your camera while monitoring your CPU usage.

I think Java in general is a limiting factor. You get great platform flexibility, but at the cost of performance IMHO.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
If you program in Java, you'll understand that Java is not the limiting factor here. Java has certain limitations that other non-VM based programming languages don't share, sure, but it has nothing to do with Minecraft sucking down memory like a five hundred pound man sucks down milkshakes.

To cite example: There are a few 3D java games in the making, one I've recently stumbled across named Survive.

Something else worth noting:

Java has access to hardware based OpenGL hooks. Slow JAVA arguments should be a thing of the past by now.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm just more concerned with the lag that's actually happening, regardless of how java works.

I'm sure it has something to do with entities. Over 300 updates from saplings, hundreds of items in transport pipes from the processing. AE-Network, all my liquid pipes, etc. Though I was really looking for a way to reduce the lag. I have graphics on fast, max FPS, particles minimum, etc. I am also running a 6800 which isn't too outdated. At least for MC it shouldn't be.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm just more concerned with the lag that's actually happening, regardless of how java works.

I'm sure it has something to do with entities. Over 300 updates from saplings, hundreds of items in transport pipes from the processing. AE-Network, all my liquid pipes, etc. Though I was really looking for a way to reduce the lag. I have graphics on fast, max FPS, particles minimum, etc. I am also running a 6800 which isn't too outdated. At least for MC it shouldn't be.

Try reducing your draw distance to normal to see if that helps. I'm not sure if network latency can impact fps. I mean, imagine the server sending you all that information. And try running the game on a ramdisk or ssd. I know for my tiny Intel celeron chip, I get a substantial performance boost in terms of sustained fps when running in ramdisk as opposed to a ssd.[DOUBLEPOST=1373224438][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you program in Java, you'll understand that Java is not the limiting factor here. Java has certain limitations that other non-VM based programming languages don't share, sure, but it has nothing to do with Minecraft sucking down memory like a five hundred pound man sucks down milkshakes.

To cite example: There are a few 3D java games in the making, one I've recently stumbled across named Survive.

Something else worth noting:

Java has access to hardware based OpenGL hooks. Slow JAVA arguments should be a thing of the past by now.

You're probably right as I have no formal programming knowledge outside of introductory java courses. I definitely am aware that minecraft isn't the most well coded game out there. But I agree that it eats ram. For example, I have no idea why 2 people would use 1 GB of ram in ftb. I mean, do the mods really eat so much ram?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmmm. That's interesting. I should move my world onto my SSD. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
You enjoy that SSD, I have an old Agility 3 and damn does shit fly when loading. I can just imagine with a SSD like a Samsung 840 thats not 3 years old like mine.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Mines about a year old. Things just load faster from memory space is all. No lag and the game doesn't take a forever to start up. Is nice.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
You enjoy that SSD, I have an old Agility 3 and damn does shit fly when loading. I can just imagine with a SSD like a Samsung 840 thats not 3 years old like mine.

I doubt that Minecraft will run differently if you're using an Agility 3 or a Sammy 840. I think the limiting factor then will not be the drive but the CPU. =)[DOUBLEPOST=1373234394][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mines about a year old. Things just load faster from memory space is all. No lag and the game doesn't take a forever to start up. Is nice.

Try loading it from a Ramdisk (i.e., ram that has been turned into a drive temporarily). It will be even faster. ;) And I'm not sure if you know this...but a SSD isn't "memory". It's a type of storage. When I read memory, I think RAM.