How does one magic?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I've never carried much interest for magic mods, but I would like to start trying them, especially since I will need some to progress in Evolved expert mode. What advice can you all give me? Is there a good way to learn stuff without watching countless hours of direwolf20 videos? Is there a more updates thaumcraft cheat sheet than this one?
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...ews-topic-above-me-is-a-doodoo-head-ha.32560/

I think I would prefer the thaumcraft and blood magic stuff over botania, as I can't seem to find anything in botania that seems overly useful.

On a side note, I miss ars magica.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a more updates thaumcraft cheat sheet than this one?
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...ews-topic-above-me-is-a-doodoo-head-ha.32560/

I think I would prefer the thaumcraft and blood magic stuff over botania, as I can't seem to find anything in botania that seems overly useful.

There's no real need for the cheat sheet like that anymore because the research system is different. Originally, you had to spam aspects to try and guess what aspect each research had, so the cheat sheet was helpful to eliminate guesswork. If you need help with the research minigame or figuring out how to unlock certain aspects, this might be useful for you.

Botania has plenty of useful features.
  • Loonium, flower can use mana to generate dungeon loot. Some douchey mod expects you to find one specific item in a dungeon chest? Despair no more!
  • Enchanting system uses mana instead of XP and doesn't consume the enchanted book afterwards. Got lucky and found a Fortune III book? No need to stress about wasting it.
  • Vinculotus, flower intercepts endermen teleports. Trying to set up an endermen grinder? Keep those tall jerks from escaping!
  • Botania tools and armor can consume mana instead of durability and this ability can be added to other tools and armor with the Timeless Ivy. This repair ability is even faster than Thaumcraft's.
  • Globetrotter's Sash. After a certain point, even flight is just a little too slow, so just use this bauble and move at warp speed.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
There's no real need for the cheat sheet like that anymore because the research system is different. Originally, you had to spam aspects to try and guess what aspect each research had, so the cheat sheet was helpful to eliminate guesswork. If you need help with the research minigame or figuring out how to unlock certain aspects, this might be useful for you.

He said he need this for Infinity Evolved, so TC5 not in there :(

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I will try to learn stuff and post my questions if this thread isn't too terribly dead by then. I am very busy, unfortunatly and would rather not necro a week old thread.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
When it comes to thaumcraft, charging your wand can be a pain so I have a few recommendations. First, make the goggles of revealing asap so you can see nodes. Nodes are much easier to see when you look through a solid block with a dark color such as tree trunks. Set waypoint markers so you can find them again later. Work towards getting a node stabilizer and node transducer so you can make an engergized node. Try to find one that has at least one compound aspect on it. When you energize it the compound aspects will break down into the basic aspects so check your thauminomicon to see what you are going to get out of it, you want one that has all the main aspects, dont waste your time engergizing one that wont have all six.

Reactions: BIG mac

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Did I say TC5? Did I mention ANYTHING involving TC5? I'm talking about TC4.

Ok... for getting smart on you thats whats the price... there are days were I should not write posts based on stuff I did not fulyl read...

Also a other great thaumcraft help is a mod called "node tracker". it remembers nodes you scanned and gives you a interface that let you choose the node from a list based on the ascpects it has. and gives you a compass then.
Check it, maybe a bit to cheaty for some folks, but I like it.http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/thaumcraft-node-tracker

Last edited:
Reactions: SpitefulFox

ddejong

Jul 29, 2019
Though sometimes the best way to recharge wands isn't to use nodes at all. If you have your wand on your hotbar, when you kill mobs you'll get small amounts of vis. Early on just run around at night and kill things. Later I like to set up a cursed earth spawner whose mobs end up in a convenient place to sacrifice on a Blood Magic altar, and use that; one hit kills with your dagger of sacrifice still count for this, doing a double duty of charging both types! Chances are the nodes nearby your base will be missing one or two aspects; fill those up with mob hunting then if the other aspects are still short use the node to top them off. For example, if you have a convenient order/fire/air and a earth/perdito, kill mobs until you have enough water and then if there's something not at max go ahead and use the nodes.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Though sometimes the best way to recharge wands isn't to use nodes at all. If you have your wand on your hotbar, when you kill mobs you'll get small amounts of vis. Early on just run around at night and kill things. Later I like to set up a cursed earth spawner whose mobs end up in a convenient place to sacrifice on a Blood Magic altar, and use that; one hit kills with your dagger of sacrifice still count for this, doing a double duty of charging both types! Chances are the nodes nearby your base will be missing one or two aspects; fill those up with mob hunting then if the other aspects are still short use the node to top them off. For example, if you have a convenient order/fire/air and a earth/perdito, kill mobs until you have enough water and then if there's something not at max go ahead and use the nodes.

Also, you can use TC's cross mod compatibility to make wands that recharge off Mana or straight from the your BM LP network. This is fantastic, as filling my wand after every freaking crafting session is by far my least favorite aspect of TC.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
Also, you can use TC's cross mod compatibility to make wands that recharge off Mana or straight from the your BM LP network. This is fantastic, as filling my wand after every freaking crafting session is by far my least favorite aspect of TC.

I think that's what the vis recharging relay is there to fix

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I think that's what the vis recharging relay is there to fix

You have to have an energized Node for that to work. I'm well tired of manually refiling my wand wey before that point. Hell, even the first recharge after the first jarred Node pissed me off.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I always play with research turned off so Im not sure how much effort it takes to get an energized node. I also use "matter transporters" from the mod Practicalities to move nodes easily. I know that is not an option for people who play on servers so to them I would suggest making a cursed earth spawner room with some fans blowing the mobs towards a spot where you kill them manually, just make sure your weapon can one-shot creepers and use that to recharge your wand if running around to a bunch of nodes is too much work. Another post-energized node suggestion is to make a second wand and always leave one on the table to be recharged.

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
58802615.jpg

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

Mobs drop aspect orbs when killed, so I always build a manual mob grinder of some kind to recharge my wand.

But this is yet another reason to migrate to 1.8.9 and the deliciousness that is TC5 - wands charge from the aura directly now.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You mean Forbidden Magics cross mod explo... I mean cross mod features. I like the livingwood/ dreamwood, wand cores because for some reason making a mana production setups easier then inducing a node.

Wonder if forbidden magic will make it to 1.8.9. Not sure how it's features will work with the "new" aura mechanic.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
onder if forbidden magic will make it to 1.8.9. Not sure how it's features will work with the "new" aura mechanic.

Seemed like you could still deplete the aura to some degree by way of using it up, even if temporarily, so presumably there is still some use case for wands that use other forms of magic.