How do you light up your base?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
There are bunch of light infused materials, personally I like birch wood. ArsMagica2 Sigil of light can be hidden one block below and it can cover huge area. Rotary craft light sources if you can tolerate horrible sound of DC engines.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
The main room in the ground floor of my base is sort of L-shaped. The Main side is lit with a grid of ProjectRed lamps along the floor and ProjectRed lanterns on the walls, round the corner is mostly my Thaumcraft area so the light is predominantly Nitor.

Upstairs I've suspended TE Glowstone Illuminators from the ceiling (due to a half-slab floor not being conducive to embedded lighting). In the basement level I use the classic lava striplights.

In summary, breezes :)

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
For the half slab problem, you could always use a glowstone nook on one corner and a microblock halfslab in the other corner thus effectively hiding the nook while keeping the light. Untested as the idea only just came to me now.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
Mobs only spawn on solid opaque blocks. They cannot spawn on glass or the bottom slabs. I tend to build my bases using slabs for the floors and any lighting is mostly decorative.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I use glowstone nooks...32 out of one block, cover them up with a cover and you are good to go. Completely invisible, no wiring needing, always on lighting :).

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I found this thread

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/the-light-unleashed.27756/

and Vauthil made this comment:

With the addition of Extra Utilities to the pack I've gone for another option: I use the Magnum Torch (which stops mob spawns in a large area around it, and you can bury it so nobody sees the thing) and then I light sparsely/moodily/where it makes sense rather than slapping down lights everywhere to stop the spawns.

I guess this is pretty ideal way of approaching base lighting. I do want it to look good, otherwise I would have just spammed torches all over my base (ugh LOL).

And thanks to all for the comments and suggestions and tips and advice. I never heard of "nook" micro blocks so I learned something new and will very likely use them. Much obliged.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I don't light much of anything, just put magnum torches at corners. The various machines/engines provide enough light to work by.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I found this thread

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/the-light-unleashed.27756/

and Vauthil made this comment:

I guess this is pretty ideal way of approaching base lighting. I do want it to look good, otherwise I would have just spammed torches all over my base (ugh LOL).

And thanks to all for the comments and suggestions and tips and advice. I never heard of "nook" micro blocks so I learned something new and will very likely use them. Much obliged.

sadly the radius of the magnum torch has been changed... it used to be 64 horizontal and 16 vertical, but now it's 32 both horizontally and vertically...
quite a pain for my Agrarian Skies world with my mobtrap

firstwaswhen

Jul 29, 2019
Poor-man's pretty:
Dig a block out of the ground, place a torch on the top of the next block down, and place a Forge Multipart cover of your choice flat on the torch.

No smoke, no ugly - just an "invisible" light source. Opinions, anybody?

This works for the early game, at least... later on, I will probably use Project Red's illumar lighting and the arcane lamp.
wait so I can just lay down a cobble cover and have a torch underneath?
This sounds useful if true the only problem with it is that they might not potentially have the floor you actually want. Like the block may not be able to be carved into a cover.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Occult light sources, sparsely distributed, with floors of spawn resistant/proof blocks. Ideally, anyway.
Realistically, torch spam, but with NEI to guide my spam.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
The exterior of my compound is lined with nether brick fence with Nitor spaced out along it.

Sometimes I wait for the sun to go down then just sit and watch it, it's totally hypnotic :)

DeadMech

Jul 29, 2019
At the moment, Glowstone glass skylights in the floors/ceilings. Let's natural light in during the day for things like solar panels and bees.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
Torches in the floor, hidden under a FMP cover. And glowstone stripes around the top edge of the walls.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
I usually use a magnum torch (or 2) around my base to stop mobs from spawning.

Not sure what mod this is from, but there is an "inverted lamp" available in lots of colors. I put those in a grid across my floor for lights. Since they are flat, they blend in nicely with most floors.

But recently I found that you can take a glowstone block +saw and carve it up into microblocks. Then place those around your base as needed. 1 glowstone block will get me 16 strips. Each strip gives light like a normal full block of glowstone, so that gives you a 16x multiplier, so it doesnt take too many full blocks to light an area.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Not sure what mod this is from, but there is an "inverted lamp" available in lots of colors. I put those in a grid across my floor for lights. Since they are flat, they blend in nicely with most floors

ProjectRed.

Or, if you use a 1.4.7 pack, prolly RedPower

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
The hidden glowstone nooks works really well, thanks for that tip! I always thought 4 glowstone dust for a single weak light was excessive, but 8 for a single dust is fine.

Reactions: Staxed

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
wait so I can just lay down a cobble cover and have a torch underneath?
This sounds useful if true the only problem with it is that they might not potentially have the floor you actually want. Like the block may not be able to be carved into a cover.
Well... why would you have a floor made of such a block? :p
Most mod blocks have FMP support, but if you're using one that doesn't, I suggest checking this out:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2500690-jami-just-advanced-mod-interaction-updated-19042014/

Good tip with the glowstone nooks, although at this point, I will probably start moving over to Project Red inverted lamps. That way, all my rooms can have a failsafe mob-protection safety system that is controlled by redstone.
... After I find that "Void World" page...