How do YOU Generate Power?

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't mean you couldn't use that RF to power a bank of Lava Fabricators, then use that lava to power your base. I'm not sure what mods are in that pack, but anything that creates lava, steam, or other fuel could work.

This is exactly what my buddy suggested when I told him my problem. We have MFR, but I think oil fabricators are disabled. Lava fabricators aren't though, and they work. We are going to see how much power we can make using those.

walkastray007

Jul 29, 2019
I just use big reactors to make power, its really easy to build and in total is realitivly cheap to get so i really recommend the to use them, like even the smallest is enough to power stuff. Kinda op when you think about it.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I have recently discovered that I can produce 400mb/t of steam from a MFR steam boiler. Five of these is enough to run a Big Reactor turbine without any need for a reactor, other than to process yellorium into cyanite for the components. 24k rf/t... run on charcoal.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I have recently discovered that I can produce 400mb/t of steam from a MFR steam boiler. Five of these is enough to run a Big Reactor turbine without any need for a reactor, other than to process yellorium into cyanite for the components. 24k rf/t... run on charcoal.

Now go one step further, and ditch the charcoal. A Lava Fabricator and Fluid Transposer combo allows you to use Lava Buckets to create steam with a ridiculous net positive in power. The combo can easily feed 15 Steam Boilers (that's three max sized turbines worth of steam).

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
I used to rely exclusively on BR too due to ease of setup and massive RF. The turbines are fun to make and look cool too. I made a small personal pack recently and left it out on purpose to force myself to explore alternatives. The Mekanism fusion reactor is quite nice, paired with a large Induction Matrix to store all that power. That's my intermediate goal.

My end goal is to make the RC fusion reactor. That is a LARGE project.

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft is my go-to "industry" mod, so one of the first things I do when starting a new world is automating ethanol production. I have a sugar cane farm harvested by either a Thaumcraft golem or a BC Robot; then, 1 out of every 3 sugar canes are turned into sugar to be sent to the first Fermenter to make yeast. (I get the dirt from a composter which uses some of the yeast and SC, combined with some method of automatic sand production from cobblestone.)

Then, the yeast is sent to the second Fermenter to be processed with the rest of the sugar cane, and the resulting Sludge is cooked (Steam engine + Friction heater) into Ethanol. Boom, an endless supply of furnace fuel and early-game RotaryCraft power.

Keyword: Early-game. Ethanol alone doesn't cut it for very long. Later on down the line I try to automate the production of Jet Fuel, which requires Netherrack dust, Tar sand, Blaze Powder, Magma Cream, Ethanol, and Coal. Here's how I do it:

Netherrack dust: Quarry the Nether -> Netherrack -> Grinder. It's technically nonrenewable, but close enough that it really doesn't matter.
Tar sand: Tar Sand is tricky. You have 2 options: Put BC Oil on a Drying Bed, or run Soul Sand through a Grinder. I favoured the first option until very recently, when Reika added a renewable way of getting Soul Sand. The setup is: Sand + Lubricant -> Liquefaction machine -> Soul Sand -> Tar Sand
Blaze Powder: A bog-standard Blaze farm. There's at least half a dozen perfectly viable ways to do this. My personal favourite is using a Corporeal Attractor combined with an RoC Mob Harvester.
Magma Cream: This one's also tricky because it requires Slimeballs. If you have TiC installed, you can autofarm the Slime trees; however, if you're like me and don't have it because you like Vanilla enchants, you can use a Thaumcraft Thaumatorium to combine Aqua (burn some of the Sugar Cane and use the Herba to run a Lamp of Growth) with Victus (Small Natura berry farm) to make them.
Coal: Wither Skeletons aren't just good for their skulls, y' know. They also drop Coal. So you just have to swipe a Skeleton spawner somehow, put it in the Nether, and set up an autofarming system. The Spawner Controller or something from Botania whose name I can't remember will make it work even when you're not around.
Ethanol: See above.

At this point, it's just a matter of funneling it all into a max speed Fractionator, and soon you'll be swimming in the pink stuff that will fulfill all your power requirements for a very long time! Unless things have changed in a recent update, one gas turbine into a few Rotational Dynamos generates more than 11k RF/t.

...At least, until you delve into ReactorCraft. But don't even get me started on that. I have yet to make a reactor that produces power without exploding. :p

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You shouldn't even need a reactor to produce Cyanite. There's a recipe to create it directly in most versions, which I believe is one Yellorium Dust to one Cyanite dust. That said, a 3x3x3 reactor produces a lot of power early on. Very nice to have until you get a permanent power system running.

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
Unless things have changed in a recent update, one gas turbine into a few Rotational Dynamos generates more than 11k RF/t.

Things have changed. A gas turbine now generates something like 129k RF/t because of the new conversion ratios as of v4. It is pretty insane how I can run every other tech mod indefinitely on a 6.25%-25% speed gas turbine because of the new ratios :p.

...At least, until you delve into ReactorCraft. But don't even get me started on that. I have yet to make a reactor that produces power without exploding. :p

Hmm well on the contrary, I have never made a reactor in survival that has exploded. If you need help, there is a design thread for the mod or I could share some of my most-used designs for my worlds. There are different concepts and mechanics for each type of reactor however. Is there a particular type that you want to make? (some examples: HTGR, Uranium fission, Plutonium fission, Breeder)

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm well on the contrary, I have never made a reactor in survival that has exploded. If you need help, there is a design thread for the mod or I could share some of my most-used designs for my worlds. There are different concepts and mechanics for each type of reactor however. Is there a particular type that you want to make? (some examples: HTGR, Uranium fission, Plutonium fission, Breeder)

I think that's the kind of thing I want to figure out myself. Thanks, though!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You shouldn't even need a reactor to produce Cyanite. There's a recipe to create it directly in most versions, which I believe is one Yellorium Dust to one Cyanite dust. That said, a 3x3x3 reactor produces a lot of power early on. Very nice to have until you get a permanent power system running.
Never seen the conversion recipe before. Would likely disable it if it did show up. Turbines are not supposed to be craftable until after you've run your regular reactor for some time.

Personally, I'd just go ahead and build the 5 x 5 'X' reactor. Produces enough power to last you quite some time. Produces enough cyanite so you can start working on turbines.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm partial to the + shaped fuel rod configuration since it burns a lot hotter and thus produces the Cyanite faster. Admittedly, last time I made one, I was playing monster and ground up Yellorium until I got a Cyanite dust and then used Mimichite to duplicate the Cyanite until I had enough. Yes, it's cheating, but I finally got sick of the power cutting out every couple of minutes.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm partial to the + shaped fuel rod configuration since it burns a lot hotter and thus produces the Cyanite faster. Admittedly, last time I made one, I was playing monster and ground up Yellorium until I got a Cyanite dust and then used Mimichite to duplicate the Cyanite until I had enough. Yes, it's cheating, but I finally got sick of the power cutting out every couple of minutes.

Using multiple mods in a pack to achieve success shouldn't be viewed as cheating. Call it creative circumvention.

Reactions: joshwoo70

condensedapple

Jul 29, 2019
Just use the Ultimate Solar Panels from Solar Expansion (e.g. in Infinity). They only cost resources like iron/redstone/glass etc. which are renewable in the lategame (remember RFTools dimensions out of iron/redstone/whatever you want). They produce ~32kRF/t, just autocraft a few hundered (takes a while ;D) and you are fine.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
A single Mekanism fusion reactor has been my go to source of power for some time now. It's currently sitting at an injection rate of sixteen, churning out 1.59 million rf/t. It tops out at around 50 million rf/t if you're pumping out enough fuel.

They're quiet, don't explode and, run off of nothing but processed water. They have scalable injection rates, making them perfect for mid to end game power generation. Power output starts at around 300,000 rf/t.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
A single Mekanism fusion reactor has been my go to source of power for some time now. It's currently sitting at an injection rate of sixteen, churning out 1.59 million rf/t. It tops out at around 50 million rf/t if you're pumping out enough fuel.

They're quiet, don't explode and, run off of nothing but processed water. They have scalable injection rates, making them perfect for mid to end game power generation. Power output starts at around 300,000 rf/t.
And I believe there's a way to make them produce steam and if the pack you're playing has something that uses steam to create RF than you are going to get some more power.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed they can. If you had the space and need for additional power you could pump steam into Big Reactors turbines. I haven't tested their steam output yet. I imagine it'd be pretty impressive considering their passive power output.

Mine is set up so that should I add some additional solar evaporation towers I can push that passive output to around four million rf/t. The server workshop is barely cresting 50,000 rf/t so the need for more power has yet to arise.

It kicks the tar out of my previous reactor setup that topped out at around 45,000 rf/t. Processing the necessary ethanol/biofuel was getting a bit laggy.

Dr. Oshawott

Jul 29, 2019
Big Reactors is my main power set up. I usually go with just a 5x5x5 and put some Cryotheum as the coolant, does the job very well. Once we made the default max size reactor and it produced so much power it was ridiculous.

kajoman

Jul 29, 2019
Early game: culinary generator to boost myself to Mid game

Mid game I use Immersive Engineering's Thermoelectric generators surrounded by water/packed ice (which can be made via botania) and Yellorium blocks (50rf/t per generator with no processing, completely passive, and very compact). I also use IEs high voltage capacitors as I have 0 use for lead otherwise.

Late game; I always experiment, though biofuel rooms are quite efficient, if laggy...