How do you automate?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrYevral

Jul 29, 2019
Recently I have been playing around in creative trying to build efficient automated systems, I've decided to start with forestry and ran into a couple of issues with some autocrafting which I'm sure I'll over come, but it got me thinking how far can you go with automation without using logistics pipes, as I'm using the current Mindcrack pack I'd like to know, How automated have you made you world and how ?

Robet24

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in the same boat too and the path I think I may be going down is extensively using the manager from rp2... You would need 1 for every container and machine, but I think it can be done.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
2 Rubber tree farms feeding 36 HP boiler. Rubber wood converted to methane in industrial centrifuges. Four centrifuges makes enough fuel for 3 36HP boilers.

In the mindcrack pack:
Built this a few ways in creative and finally got it started in my survival world today:
lsYlN.jpg

*Ignore the sad abandoned peat farm ;P

It is an automated 36 HP railcraft liquid boiler running off gregtech methane fuel. Can start-up on a full small railcraft iron tank (576 bucket) with ~4 centrifuges and 2 rubber tree farms. Once it is at 1000 degrees it will only take 1 rubber tree farm, and 2 centrifuges using only a portion of the second's methane output.

To fill 4 centrifuges - 2 rubber tree farms are used, and fully automated using a pulverizer and 3 autocrafting tables (make sandstone, make fertilizer, make humus). Dirt is the only external input needed and is sent to the tree farm by macerating plantballs, which are a by-product of centrifuging rubber tree wood. Actually runs a surplus of humus.

Details:
2 tree farms run off one harvester and automated using the TE pulverizer (chance of saltpeter which converts to fertilizer).
lVbEt.jpg

YU2WU.jpg

IC2 machines: 4 centrifuges (process rubberwood), macerator (make dirt), electric crafting table (process carbon cells, return empty cells), compressor (compress carbon), extractor (process resin).
vvsKk.jpg

Filters on side pull the outputs each timer pulse:
djjH7.jpg

Autocrafting table convert carbon fiber to carbon mesh, which gets compressed into carbon plate. Liquid transposer takes the methane cells and pipes it to some gas turbines to run the IC2 machines and extra methane goes into the RC2 iron tank and is pumped up to the boiler.
eSRxP.jpg

Temp setup for TE/MJ machines. Eventually the full compliment of 18 industrial steam engines will be here and the machines will be ground level somewhere:
jfC2A.jpg

Probably most of the 144 MJ/t from the steam engines will be used to make lava and do interesting things with it :p

MrYevral

Jul 29, 2019
Thats some impressive work youve done there Peppe I would be interested if you could put up a world download so I can dissect the machine myself?

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Nice. I haven't built the forestry farms yet in my current world though I did have a setup running mostly automatic in my test world.

So far my automation is mainly in sorting the output from my quarry into barrels:

2013-01-06_00.51.16.png
2013-01-06_00.51.33.png

If I understand correctly, since the tubes connect to the bottom of the barrels above them, I should be able to pull items out using the same framework to process further once I get to attempting that phase.

Wall

Jul 29, 2019
You can manual add the logistics pipes mod :) i like the LP more than the RP pipes.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
If I understand correctly, since the tubes connect to the bottom of the barrels above them, I should be able to pull items out using the same framework to process further once I get to attempting that phase.
Very doubtful. There's nothing the Barrels communicate with to get them to output themselves. You have to pull items out with a machine, or a BC Wooden Pipe.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Very doubtful. There's nothing the Barrels communicate with to get them to output themselves. You have to pull items out with a machine, or a BC Wooden Pipe.

It's entirely possible. It's one of the more elegant components of an RP2 storage system. As long as everything is connected to a continuous tube network you can pull from anywhere on the network with a retriever or manager. That's what the poster you were referring to was referencing...that all of his barrels were connected. He didn't say they would automatically spit things out on their own. I swear some of you guys are so busy trying to be contrary you'd argue with yourselves if left alone in a locked room.

In terms of moving things around and managing inventories, RP tubes are just a better system than anything BC has to offer, and that includes gates. I give it about 3 more months before the denial fades and even the "zamfg gates are awesome" crowd is forced to acknowledge that they're only good for a very small handful of things, and managing inventories isn't one of those things.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Then I was mistaken about how tubes function. My goal was information, not contention, and unfortunately I was nearly responsible for misinformation. Thank you for the correction.

MrYevral

Jul 29, 2019
I agree RP2 is the best system that I've played with currently baring logistics pipes, I unfortunatly don't know any Forth and therefor cannot use the mod to its full potential