How do YOU Auto-spawn Withers?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Actually, I tend to use Botania for my automated wither killing. Several Bellthorns around the cage he spawns in (using reinforced obsidian cage to prevent escape) will kill him. Slowly, but surely, and you can use a hopperhock to suck up the rewards, assuming you don't use a vaccum hopper.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I tend to use Botania for my automated wither killing. Several Bellthorns around the cage he spawns in (using reinforced obsidian cage to prevent escape) will kill him. Slowly, but surely, and you can use a hopperhock to suck up the rewards, assuming you don't use a vaccum hopper.
I did a test of the various wither killing methods. Bellethorne was by far the worst at over 30 seconds from spawn to death. Killer Joes are by far faster, with me getting it down to 19 seconds with a Smite V activated Flux Sword. Mining Laser does it in 16, but considering it burns items I don't feel is worth it.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I did a test of the various wither killing methods. Bellethorne was by far the worst at over 30 seconds from spawn to death. Killer Joes are by far faster, with me getting it down to 19 seconds with a Smite V activated Flux Sword. Mining Laser does it in 16, but considering it burns items I don't feel is worth it.
The Draconic Evolution mob grinder insta kills them and it is blast proof.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
put it under the dark steel cage, it shouldn't blow up from the explosion
the sewer has a 1x1x2 range which you can increase by using radius upgrades
Ah, nice! I knew you could increase the range but did not know that it worked vertically.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I think we have different priorities...

I don't care if it takes thirty seconds versus sixteen seconds. Once you have wither on farm you have more nether stars than you can possibly ever use, and it is passively building up continuously while you are doing other things. I have to tell it to turn off when I hit over 200, and I end up voiding most of the unactivated sigils anyway.

The key here is passive acquisition. It doesn't matter if I have half as many as you do at the end of the day. Half of 'way the hell too many more than I will ever use' is still 'way the hell too many more than I will ever use'.

Hell, just idle nearby while you take care of something RL, come back to dozens of them.

Also, I don't have *A* bellthorn, I have SEVERAL bellthorns. Makes things go by much faster.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
I think we have different priorities...

I don't care if it takes thirty seconds versus sixteen seconds. Once you have wither on farm you have more nether stars than you can possibly ever use, and it is passively building up continuously while you are doing other things. I have to tell it to turn off when I hit over 200, and I end up voiding most of the unactivated sigils anyway.

The key here is passive acquisition. It doesn't matter if I have half as many as you do at the end of the day. Half of 'way the hell too many more than I will ever use' is still 'way the hell too many more than I will ever use'.

Hell, just idle nearby while you take care of something RL, come back to dozens of them.

Also, I don't have *A* bellthorn, I have SEVERAL bellthorns. Makes things go by much faster.
I suppose that's fair enough. I use them for power though, but above all, I pride myself on efficient builds. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe multiple bellethornes provide any benefit.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I suppose that's fair enough. I use them for power though, but above all, I pride myself on efficient builds. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe multiple bellethornes provide any benefit.
Each bellthorn separately applies damage periodically. If you like, you can use a Hyacidus in addition to the bellthorn so it is taking poison damage as well as straight up damage. In fact, you can use your Hyacidus in conjunction with just about anything and it'll speed any system up because more stackable damage is more better.

I don't like using the nether generator because, frankly, I have Big Reactors which is (in my personal opinion) a much more interesting way to generate that much power, and without the annoying side effects. Besides, the nether generator still doesn't go through a nether star in thirty seconds, so you're still producing far more than you are receiving unless you have multiples running simultaneously.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Each bellthorn separately applies damage periodically. If you like, you can use a Hyacidus in addition to the bellthorn so it is taking poison damage as well as straight up damage. In fact, you can use your Hyacidus in conjunction with just about anything and it'll speed any system up because more stackable damage is more better.

I don't like using the nether generator because, frankly, I have Big Reactors which is (in my personal opinion) a much more interesting way to generate that much power, and without the annoying side effects. Besides, the nether generator still doesn't go through a nether star in thirty seconds, so you're still producing far more than you are receiving unless you have multiples running simultaneously.
*shrugs* I'd still rather an efficient build. And honestly, Big Reactors has become so commonplace I find it boring, plus, the fact that you can get upwards of 1M RF/t I find a little ridiculous. To each their own I suppose.

Just out of curiosity, what flower powers the bellethornes?

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
*shrugs* I'd still rather an efficient build. And honestly, Big Reactors has become so commonplace I find it boring, plus, the fact that you can get upwards of 1M RF/t I find a little ridiculous. To each their own I suppose.

Just out of curiosity, what flower powers the bellethornes?
Any mana producing flower, or any mana pool nearby, will power a bellthorne or hyacidus. Spark network FTW. I also personally nerf the heck out of Big Reactors output so you get something decent without being WTFOMG.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'm aware, but in your setup I meant.
I've got a more decentralized web of mana production rather than any one power source, but it also runs the rest of the botania stuff in my base. A few dayblooms/nightshades should do it. Having a 3 x 3 water pool with Hydrodrangeas in each cornerwould certainly be sufficient to keep it going indefinitely.

Flexico

Dec 15, 2012
I had kind of put aside the idea of auto-spawning withers in 1.7 since MFFS is unusable, but you all have inspired me to try to be more creative about it! The fact that after being spawned, the wither floats downward before exploding was most helpful to know, thanks for pointing it out!

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
I had kind of put aside the idea of auto-spawning withers in 1.7 since MFFS is unusable, but you all have inspired me to try to be more creative about it! The fact that after being spawned, the wither floats downward before exploding was most helpful to know, thanks for pointing it out!
If you've got mystcraft, the portals are even better!