How do i automate an MFFS extraction?

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
So there's a really shifty guy on a server i play, So i build a really fancy field to keep him out
But i cant always be around 24/7 to put more forcium in, It will last a while but not forever, I have a huge stockpile though
I can't seem to feed it in at a rate that it won't just pop out, I don't even know if you CAN pipe in/out of an mffs

Xeonen

Jul 29, 2019
If your server has it, you can use Applied Energistics system to automate that process, or if you are playing with 1.4.7 you might want to try filters.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah RP2 tubes would probably work.
The AE solution is great though. Just use an export bus on any side (doesn't have to be the top) and you're good to go. I'm doing this with 5 MFFS extractors currently. :)

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Pipes will just make the thing overflow when it reaches 64
In case RP2 is not an option: Add in a diamond pipe above the block the forcicium has to go in. Set it up like "forcicium down" and put a pipetour to work as a round robin. This way, whenever there IS free space in the MFFS block, the d.pipe will send the forcicium in there. If it has 64 inside, the d.pipe recognizes that and sends the forcicium into your round robin detour pipe. Add an iron pipe right to the d.pipe and it will not send items back where they came from.

Last, make the detour long enough, in order to avoid 'explosion sounds', as pipes cause these, once a specific nr. of items are inside them.

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, pipe, tube into the top, you get my jist lol. Atm, I'm running a 128x128 MFFS Field with 15 extractors running it, with a filter and timer set to about a minute with pneumatic tubes and covers to stop insertion into the bottom.

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
Pipes will just make the thing overflow when it reaches 64

You have a few options here; you can use an Applied Energistics network with an Export Bus connected to the extractor to keep it full. They can't overflow.

You can use redpower tubes attached to a transposer/filter with a timer to keep it full; their internal logic prevents them from overflowing.

You can pipe from a chest/barrel/whatever through a single wooden pipe (No longer, or it will not work - the gate must be adjacent to the extractor) with an autarchic gate set to "Inventory Empty" = "Energy Pulser".

The gate on the pipe will detect when the extractor uses its last forcicium and it'll start pumping from the chest. Once the forcicium reaches the extractor and the inventory no longer reads as empty, the gates logic condition with stop it from pumping until the extractor is empty again. Items that are already in the pipe will continue through it, and you'll essentially end up with a system that reads when the extractor is empty and pumps about 9-11 (depending on lag) into it.

Cheaper than Applied Energistics, can't possibly overflow, and doesn't require redpower timers/tubes.

It's the solution I'd go for.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
You can pipe from a chest/barrel/whatever through a single wooden pipe (No longer, or it will not work - the gate must be adjacent to the extractor) with an autarchic gate set to "Inventory Empty" = "Energy Pulser".

The gate on the pipe will detect when the extractor uses its last forcicium and it'll start pumping from the chest. Once the forcicium reaches the extractor and the inventory no longer reads as empty, the gates logic condition with stop it from pumping until the extractor is empty again. Items that are already in the pipe will continue through it, and you'll essentially end up with a system that reads when the extractor is empty and pumps about 9-11 (depending on lag) into it.

Cheaper than Applied Energistics, can't possibly overflow, and doesn't require redpower timers/tubes.

It's the solution I'd go for.
This can also work with a longer piping system than just the single wooden pipe, but it would require another gate and the use of piping wire. Set up an iron gate on the pipe next to the extractor with the settings "Inventory Empty" = "Red Pipe Signal" (the latter option will only be available once you put red pipe wire on the pipe) then set up an iron autarchic gate on the pipe pulling from your chest/barrel/whatever and set it to "Red Pipe Signal" = "Energy Pulser".

Be careful how long the piping is though. If more than 64 forcicium can fit into the pipe before the first one reaches the extractor, the last ones will get dropped. You can use golden pipes to speed the items up and help mitigate this problem.

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
i'd go with hoppers if they worked with things like they did in vanilla,
Also how do i use these busses and whatnot, Just check the wiki?

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
i'd go with hoppers if they worked with things like they did in vanilla,
Also how do i use these busses and whatnot, Just check the wiki?
You'll want to know the basics of AE (which is about all I know).
The short version is that you'll need to provide power to an ME controller (EU and MJ both work) and store your forcicium in an ME chest or disk drive connected to the controller with ME cable. Then run ME cable to the MFFS extractor(s) and place an export bus pointing into the extractor(s). Right click on the export bus and put one forcicium into the GUI. The bus will now keep as much forcicium stocked in the adjacent inventory as will fit.

For more details than that either check the wiki or find some videos. That should answer any questions that you might have. But you can always ask here if not of course!

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
You'll want to know the basics of AE (which is about all I know).
The short version is that you'll need to provide power to an ME controller (EU and MJ both work) and store your forcicium in an ME chest or disk drive connected to the controller with ME cable. Then run ME cable to the MFFS extractor(s) and place an export bus pointing into the extractor(s). Right click on the export bus and put one forcicium into the GUI. The bus will now keep as much forcicium stocked in the adjacent inventory as will fit.

For more details than that either check the wiki or find some videos. That should answer any questions that you might have. But you can always ask here if not of course!

Yay ^_^
All i have in terms of AE right now is a drive with the high-end storage units, The controller, And an access terminal

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Hopper's (IC2), relays (RP2), Pipes in a loop (Buildcraft), Applied energetics. But hopper is probably the easiest. And if you have to hoppers can be placed on top of one another.

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019
You could also make a compact forcicium cell, they last for ages haha

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
In case RP2 is not an option: Add in a diamond pipe above the block the forcicium has to go in. Set it up like "forcicium down" and put a pipetour to work as a round robin. This way, whenever there IS free space in the MFFS block, the d.pipe will send the forcicium in there. If it has 64 inside, the d.pipe recognizes that and sends the forcicium into your round robin detour pipe. Add an iron pipe right to the d.pipe and it will not send items back where they came from.

Last, make the detour long enough, in order to avoid 'explosion sounds', as pipes cause these, once a specific nr. of items are inside them.

Creating loops like these is NOT a solution when you're on servers. That's a LOT of items the server has to do calculations for.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Creating loops like these is NOT a solution when you're on servers. That's a LOT of items the server has to do calculations for.
Small loops to prevent overloading the machine not continues ones. Not massive storage loops.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Small loops to prevent overloading the machine not continues ones. Not massive storage loops.

Right - but depending whether those pipes are being fed intelligently or not, you could still end up with thousands of items in there.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Right - but depending whether those pipes are being fed intelligently or not, you could still end up with thousands of items in there.
This setup was intended to run a MFFS overnight you would be hard pressed to screw that up so badly.