How can a rookie evolve in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that rollercoaster is going to kill Direwolf and then turn him into a big puddle of "cool" and "awesome"

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
First thing I'd do after you've managed the basic requirements of survival just as you would in vanilla is this:

1. Go through every page in NEI looking at what blocks there are. Not all of them are obvious about what they do but there is enough there to give you ideas about many of the things you can do. When I started I saw machines, many of which needed power, so I started looking for green power sources. Next thing I knew I was trying to figure out the quickest way to manufacture a suit of quantum armor. :)
2. Pick one of the major mods and learn most of its blocks/processes.
3. Move to the next major mod.
4. Combine what you've learned and have fun in the craziest sandbox you've ever been in.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
DON'T TRUST THESE PEOPLE. DO AS I SAY FOR MAXIMUM FRUSTRATION FUN.

Step one: download ultimate.
Step two: start ultimate.
Step three: get wood.
Step four: ????
Step five: PROFIT!

Seriously, did you watch a youtuber/read a guide when you first started minecraft? NO! Then why start now? Just go ahead and play like yer mother taught ya.

When in doubt, consult NEI. If still in doubt, consult the appropriate wiki. Google is your friend when you need to find out which mod what block is from.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Do this, if you want something D&D style mixed with Pokémon (I did that and I don't regret it):
Step one: write down several levels of game with a set of goals each (set them yourself, here are some ideas) :
"Rookie - Vanilla with not too much stuff, if so, better picks and the quartz millstone"
"Newbie - Electric furnace - or something like that - and macerator - equivalent - and power generation + storage"
"Starter - Automated farms, automated mining, automated production of only one thing - say, charcoal + early alchemy via EE3 and Thaumcraft, Railcraft rolling machine and coke oven"
Step two: Split into what kind of research you want to do:
"Producer - Bees, more eficient motors, Mystcraft, Thaumcraft second tier research, Blast Furnace"
"Energizer - Boilers, automated self-sufficient fuel production, Thaumcraft golems"
"Breeder - MFR animal machinery, ExtraBees stuff, Thaumic Bees"
"Farmer - Tree breeding, multifarms, biofuel and biogenerator"
"Bottler - Multiblock tanks (Xycraft or Railcraft), storage of lava, water, oil, biomass..."
"Cartman - Steve's Carts + Railcraft based game"
"Programmer - turtles + Redpower 2 Systems"
Step 3: When you finish your researches (that means actually have them): go back into this:
"Crosser - cross mod to make something interesting"
"Scientist - have some more powerful armor, such as nano"
"Magician - explore the Twilight Florest"
"Battler - Defeat the 3 bosses of the Twilight Florest"
"Winner - Kill the Ender Dragon and the Wither and not lose a heart on both fights with some mod weaponary."
Step 4: Everytime you complete a class or a research, play this (or change to any other evolution music):

Then you're done.
EDIT: Added Ako's suggestions.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Needs more: "winning - kill a wither and the ender dragon solo without losing a heart of health due to high tech armour and throw some uu-matter at their corpses because you can." Then you're done. ;)
Also add - without destroying the endercrystals and you must shoot the dragon with a mining laser, and not miss once. And you must aggro ALL the endermen, and do the fight on the ground, while running from them.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not trying to do this Old-School Nintendo Hard, I'm trying to help a rookie. But I'll put it as "with some weaponary from mods"

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not trying to do this Old-School Nintendo Hard, I'm trying to help a rookie. But I'll put it as "with some weaponary from mods"
Heh, I should almost never be taken seriously. Also, old school Nintendo is exactly what I was thinking of when I posted that. :D

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
I'll throw my own beginner series up in here too, good feedback from the two episodes uploaded so far, 3rd will be up this evening (UK time).

Playlist link in sig!

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my advice to you.

Start in the direwolf pack until you get all the basic stuff, then switch to Ultimate. Don't explore too far with direwolf, because Ultimate adds more ores and stuff like that. Also, gregtech makes everything much harder, so you probably won't be able to recraft most of your machines if they break. Get a nanosaber and hold onto it.

Once you have ultimate, open up NEI (all the items) and scroll through them, and see what you want, look at the recipes when applicable. After awhile you'll learn what everything does, and you should be able to combine them. You'll also learn the limitations by experimentation.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my advice to you.

Start in the direwolf pack until you get all the basic stuff, then switch to Ultimate. Don't explore too far with direwolf, because Ultimate adds more ores and stuff like that. Also, gregtech makes everything much harder, so you probably won't be able to recraft most of your machines if they break. Get a nanosaber and hold onto it.

Once you have ultimate, open up NEI (all the items) and scroll through them, and see what you want, look at the recipes when applicable. After awhile you'll learn what everything does, and you should be able to combine them. You'll also learn the limitations by experimentation.
To add to this a little, try Ultimate with easymode Gregtech before hardmode, you get to mess with all the gregtech stuff (disassembling things to their elements and making them into more valuable things) but with a lot less mining. If mining is your thing, go hardmode from the start, you'll be mining till your hair is grey.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
All this stone talk is silly. If this is the way we communicate now I suggest you follow the tronstone. The most satisfaction in ftb or minecraft is to be your own stone.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Back in my day, getting stoned was not nearly as much fun.

Speaking of which, I'd really like to see me be able to throw cobblestone at enemies. Like, in a way that hurts them. I think that would make me smile.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Back in my day, getting stoned was not nearly as much fun.

Speaking of which, I'd really like to see me be able to throw cobblestone at enemies. Like, in a way that hurts them. I think that would make me smile.
Gravity gun? Works for me. Although I love it, I also hate it because I end up with a mess worse than a thousand endermen.