How can a rookie evolve in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Trond007

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I'm new to FeedTheBeast, but not so much to Minecraft, and I've been watching a few videos on Youtube about FTB and what you can do with it, and it looks awesome, but I don't know how to evolve as I play FTB.
Like is there a goal about FTB or is FTB a sandbox? Anyway as I played a bit FTB I don't know how to progress, like I gather stuff like I would do when playing Minecraft survival mode, but it seems I have to figure out on my own where to go from there, and I just don't know what I should or can build so I can evolve and prosper. There are no hints/tips or manuals as I play. I only know I can build a lot of stuff, but not when I should build what, and I don't know what all of that stuff does as I hit the 'e'-button in-game. Someone please guide me here :)

cheechako

Jul 29, 2019
Like is there a goal about FTB or is FTB a sandbox?

In this case, FTB is exactly like vanilla - the answer is: it depends. (On the server, the group, the play style, etc.)

p.s. Watch more Let's Play and whatnot. AFAIK, one of the first goals in FTB is ore-doubling (Pulverizer, Macerator, etc.)

Jammyjezza

Jul 29, 2019
to learn more about the mods, you're best off either checking the guide section of the forum, or watching youtubers play FTB to glean information from them.

quantumllama

Jul 29, 2019
Enigmius1 is pretty amazing, especially when it comes to making practical stuff look good. I approve!

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
no you need a direstone
Problem is if you use a direstone then you are dire type, which is weak to endertypes (which is all the rage today), i suggest you either become a athame type (silver) or a water type using either the Silver or Waterstone since t hey are super effective to ender!

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Problem is if you use a direstone then you are dire type, which is weak to endertypes (which is all the rage today), i suggest you either become a athame type (silver) or a water type using either the Silver or Waterstone since t hey are super effective to ender!
And if you use a direstone, the only word you'll ever be able to utter is 'cool'. Try using an eloraastone, you'll get hiding cloaking powers and nobody will be able to find you.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
The "end" would basically be to get the hard stuff and master all the mods (ESPECIALLY gregtech like fusion reactor)
But it's for fun just like minecraft.
The way to evolve is to watch videos. I suggest Direwolf20 (good understanding of all mods)
Nebris he did some high-tech stuff
And basically choose a mod and just go. Read wikis watch tutorials join a server and ask about it etc.
But once again, it's all for fun :)

Talonar

Jul 29, 2019
I'd rather use the RichardG Stone, It comes with a imperfect cloaking and Fire [troll] aspect :) [I think RichardG's antics are rather funny, that comment ISN'T meant to be a insult]

Duranis

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I'm new to FeedTheBeast, but not so much to Minecraft, and I've been watching a few videos on Youtube about FTB and what you can do with it, and it looks awesome, but I don't know how to evolve as I play FTB.

My best suggestion would be to pick 1 or 2 mods and play around with them until you feel comfortable with how they work, then pick 2 more mods and do the same. Once you get a feel for how most things work you then start figuring out how to mix the mods together.

One of the best things in FTB is there is always more than one way to achieve anything so what you build and use comes down to what you enjoy working with. For example I use Buildcraft pipes for all my item transport in my sorting and processing rooms. Most people hate BC pipes and would use redpower instead. Both systems work equally well if you know what your doing so its just about what you enjoy.

I have started writing a beginners guide for the new people on our FTB server which you might find useful. I'm trying to create a guide that will get you a basic "workshop" setup with thermal expansion and a reasonable Buildcraft power supply as well as some automated mining and item sorting. This wont be an optimal setup so there is lots of room for personal touches and improvements but it will give you a good starting point and a little bit of knowledge about some of the core mods (computercraft, buildcraft, thermal expansion and redpower).

http://damnation.eu/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3005

Reactions: PCPuddin

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
RichardG is actually the star, Soaryn is actually his sidekick. Soaryn is actually slow trolling direwolf20 as part of RichardG's master plan