Horizons - new ores and world generation stats

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Given the number of new (to FTB) mods in Horizons and associated world gen, I thought it would be worth taking a large mining sample to see what lies beneath the surface.

Here are the mining results from silk-touching 100 chunks of a plains biome to bedrock (BoP disabled)

Results for all ores, grouped by mod are here: http://i.imgur.com/jrt0pX7.png

By comparison with a 100 chunk survey in Unleashed 1.1.13, Horizon generated:
  • 20% more Coal (H: 180 /chunk)
  • 30% less Iron (H: 110 /chunk)
  • 20% less Diamond (H: 5 /chunk)
  • half as much Gold (H: 12/chunk)
  • half as much Tin
  • 20% less Copper
Plus a crapton of new ores from
  • Metallurgy (18+)
  • Ars Magica
  • ReactorCraft (12+, including 8 shades of Fluorite)
  • Artifice - 10 stacks of Marble and 15 stacks of Basalt per chunk!!
  • Salt from two mods, almost 10 stacks of Limestone from Emasher
Don't have a clue what they are all for, but it should be fun discovering. At times, there was so much visible ore, it was like a journey through a dense ore age :)

Anyway, hope these results provide you with some insight into new worldgen and an indication of what to expect when you head underground.

Have fun exploring!

edit to add: for DW20 results, try this thread or image

Last edited:

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Wow. How did you do that? Did you add QuarryPlus? Cheat in an Efficiency X pick?

Yes, I used QuarryPlus and ExtraCells.... same setup as before.

GHog guessed right and his post links to an imgur of the identical setup I used:
  • QuarryPlus - enchanted with Efficiency and SilkTouch,
  • PumpPlus
  • ExtraCells, Fluid import bus and those super-sized storage cells.
No problems with configs - well done FTB team - just dropped in the two mods and good to go!!

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
You still got a huge haul of resources.

Well, it left a pretty huge hole in the ground. Four, actually http://i.imgur.com/MufUQSb.png Four quarries, each 5x5 chunks (80x80 blocks), will produce the 100 chunk sample overnight.

Actually spent more time flying around scoping out a large enough Plains than it took to setup and kick off the quarries. o_O

If people find this information useful, I'll run the same setup against DW20 and Monster packs

Sacred5010

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it left a pretty huge hole in the ground. Four, actually http://i.imgur.com/MufUQSb.png Four quarries, each 5x5 chunks (80x80 blocks), will produce the 100 chunk sample overnight.

Actually spent more time flying around scoping out a large enough Plains than it took to setup and kick off the quarries. o_O

If people find this information useful, I'll run the same setup against DW20 and Monster packs
I would like to see this in DW20 sometime. ^.^

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Oreberry bushes don't get picked up by quarries (not sure if Quarry+ adresses this though)

huh.... that's really weird, they should be able to get picked up, heck, even chests with content can get picked up by a quarry nowadays... weird :confused:

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
huh.... that's really weird, they should be able to get picked up, heck, even chests with content can get picked up by a quarry nowadays... weird :confused:

If you look at the results you will see a handful in the AE view, I simply didn't think there were sufficient to warrant listing in the tables.

I would like to see this in DW20 sometime. ^.^

Currently running the same setup against the latest DW20 pack, so will have new ore density results and a side-by-side comparison for everyone tomorrow.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
If you look at the results you will see a handful in the AE view, I simply didn't think there were sufficient to warrant listing in the tables.

Currently running the same setup against the latest DW20 pack, so will have new ore density results and a side-by-side comparison for everyone tomorrow.

yea, I saw them in the image. that's why I said I was surprised as to how few of them are actually mined.
I was replying to Birch's comment saying quarries can't mine oreberries... which seems weird to me

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I was replying to Birch's comment saying quarries can't mine oreberries... which seems weird to me

Sorry I misunderstood. At least with SilkTouch, QP is picking them up. As you saw, there arent too many ... but I didnt see any on my occasional tours of the the quarry floor, so it seems about right.

I guess any chest loot that gets picked up would be fairly obvious, I don't think there's anything that you find in chests that is also worldgen.

Thats my assumption - and if there is any, it will be so insignificant as to not skew the averages in any meaningful way. In the Horizon's run there were no chest collected - just clipped the side of a zombie dungeon, which contained a chest with enough horse armour to equip an army :)

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry I misunderstood. At least with SilkTouch, QP is picking them up. As you saw, there arent too many ... but I didnt see any on my occasional tours of the the quarry floor, so it seems about right.

no problem at all. it's still quite amazing to see how much resources you've dug up. metallurgy isn't lying when it says some of it's ores are very rare

Thats my assumption - and if there is any, it will be so insignificant as to not skew the averages in any meaningful way. In the Horizon's run there were no chest collected - just clipped the side of a zombie dungeon, which contained a chest with enough horse armour to equip an army :)

I hate horse armor, what's even the point of it in modded minecraft and it doesn't even stack... would be nice if a mod would add a crafting recipe for them so you can uncraft them if you've twilight forest installed... that makes me thinking, what would the resource count be if you'd quarry the deep dark? :p