Horizons III Release

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Because people prefer posting in a news thread instead of opening a discussion thread? :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thx for finding that, I'm glad I wasn't actually losing my mind mentioning it.

Just because a mod is updated to the current modded version doesn't mean it is stable enough to be used in that version. The theme of Horizons packs has always been Mods no one uses type deal to get people using and learning new stuff. We really shouldn't be trying to get the same old stuff added in because we like it. We need to suggest mods that fall into the horizons pack theme. You can always just add in Mek for your self if it means that much to your.
Agreed, although fwiw it *is* marked as a release version (which isn't worth a ton)

Reactions: Magzie

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
How many FTB packs have Mekanism.
actually it was in one of the last ones they released before having to take it out for that really nasty crash with Mek power cable. That is when they announced they wouldn't be using it. The packs were FTB Infinity Lite 1.10 and FTB Horizons: Daybreaker.

Last edited:

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
Anyone else notice how smooth it was running?
Well, when it's running it's fine, but I've had multiple crashes and freezes just playing normally. Although, I do have a junky laptop, so that's probably one cause. : /

Last edited:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Anyone else notice how smooth it was running?
Well, when it's running it's fine, but I've had multiple crashes and freezes just playing normally. Although, I do have a junky laptop, so that's probably one cause. : /
The setting I play with are off on shadows, Vbos off, Vsync off, Clouds off, and 6 ram. I leave fancy graphic on cause I like it but you could cut those off.

MrMonsterGuy18

Oct 3, 2016
The Grave
actually it was in one of the last ones they released before having to take it out for that really nasty crash with Mek power cable. That is when they announced they wouldn't be using it. The packs were FTB Infinity Lite 1.10 and FTB Horizons: Daybreaker.
Wasn't it also in Hermitpack?

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps I'm an idiot and missing something, but the pack appears to lack any sort of quarry, correct? I know there are void miners, but there are a lot of things that they won't generate, and I don't really want to have to do a lot of manual mining mid to late game. I realize I could theoretically making a mining machine using Funky Locomotion, but it would be much more complex without something like mining wells, and with no way to create new dimensions, I don't really want to unleash a world eater in the overworld.

If I'm missing something, please let me know. If not, I'd love some recommendations for some sort of quarry I can add (extra utilities and rftools are the obvious suggestions, but I was hoping there were other alternatives. I'd have done buildcraft but it's not out yet.)

Edit: Hmm...I forgot about Actually Additions...maybe I'll add that.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Perhaps I'm an idiot and missing something, but the pack appears to lack any sort of quarry, correct? I know there are void miners, but there are a lot of things that they won't generate, and I don't really want to have to do a lot of manual mining mid to late game. I realize I could theoretically making a mining machine using Funky Locomotion, but it would be much more complex without something like mining wells, and with no way to create new dimensions, I don't really want to unleash a world eater in the overworld.

If I'm missing something, please let me know. If not, I'd love some recommendations for some sort of quarry I can add (extra utilities and rftools are the obvious suggestions, but I was hoping there were other alternatives. I'd have done buildcraft but it's not out yet.)

Edit: Hmm...I forgot about Actually Additions...maybe I'll add that.
Actually Additions and Extra Utilities have quarries? You confuzzle me sir, AA has the Vertical digger and the Ender Quarry got removed(RIP).

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
The Vertical Digger is akin to a quarry, and Extra Utilities (at least in 1.10, I haven't played with it in 1.12) has the Quantum Quarry.

Edit: On second thought, I think I'll just add them to the void ore miner from Environmental Tech. I'm not sure what all is missing besides Silent's Gems and Dark Ore, so if anyone knows I'd be happy to hear. I'm going to add the overworld Silent's Gems to Tier 1 and 2, the Nether ones to Tier 3 and 4, and the End ones to Tier 5 and 6, with rarity similar to Diamond (since they seem way more common than diamond in the overworld so far.) Dark Ore I'll add to all tiers with Diamond rarity since it seems relatively common.

Edit 2: Done. Also, if anyone cares, the Resonating Ore entry is wrong, and you will get Silent's Gems Apatite (and probably the Biomes O' Plenty Amber) with the default configs.

Last edited:

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
ET should still have the ore miner. ALso LAser base spawns ore from Industrial Foregoing. Also don't forget there are new Watering cans from Thermal Cal that look pretty fun just fyi. And make sure to check out Simple Storage Network. ;)

Last edited:

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
ET should still have the ore miner. ALso LAser base spawns ore from Industrial Foregoing. Also don't forget there are new Watering cans from Thermal Cal that look pretty fun just fyi. And make sure to check out Simple Storage Network. ;)
Yes, but those (with the default configs) won't generate most of the Silent's Gems ores or Dark ore. But like I said, I changed my configs so that the Void Ore Miner will generate them at half the rarity of diamond, and the nether ores only from tier 3 up, and the end ores only from tier 5 and up.

ZephyrWindSpirit

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all joking aside on mods that should be in what is everyone doing for starting power.
Arboreal extractor into a fractionating still that loops into a steam dynamo. If I had a compression dynamo, the tree oil could burn there too. Saw the spotlight of this setup with Mischief of Mice, its got potential for early game power; add a drawer to catch your additional rosin, and boom, renewable power from a tree and water.

Opinionatedly; I added Nature's compass and Prefab to my own client. Finding a good 'config' of lost cities either leaves them too common or too large for my own personal taste. Any specific ways others have set it up?

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Arboreal extractor into a fractionating still that loops into a steam dynamo. If I had a compression dynamo, the tree oil could burn there too. Saw the spotlight of this setup with Mischief of Mice, its got potential for early game power; add a drawer to catch your additional rosin, and boom, renewable power from a tree and water.

Opinionatedly; I added Nature's compass and Prefab to my own client. Finding a good 'config' of lost cities either leaves them too common or too large for my own personal taste. Any specific ways others have set it up?
Right now I am using steam Dynamo but i was thinking about trying coin power. Anything that makes steam in the pack? I miss my steam Boiler..rofl

Here is my thought right now. Use the farm machine from TC to make logs. transfer that to a TE for Coal Coke. Then I use the Coal Coke for Steam and Creosote for Combustion....

Last edited:

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm...is it normal for overworld mobs to spawn in the nether in 1.12? I found zombies, creepers, skeletons and spiders spawning all over the place, and it's kind of awful. Mostly the skeletons, they make walking near edges scary af without flight of any sort.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
I thought it was a Minecraft Halloween thing from Mojang. They were spawning in the overworld with heads on. Also heads up, cause i know no one dare use it, but if you make a flint machete in a crafting table it will give you a random gemmed machete. Fyi.

X

Xenulus

Am I the only one that has noticed? Why is cooking for blockheads here with no pam's harvestcraft. See whats going on here? Haha, putting a mod in that relies on another to be useful, but then not adding the mod that makes the other serve a purpose. Otherwise cooking for blockheads is just taking up space and adding load time. Hope to see pam's included in 1.1! Or see cooking/farming for blockheads removed....:D

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I thought it was a Minecraft Halloween thing from Mojang. They were spawning in the overworld with heads on. Also heads up, cause i know no one dare use it, but if you make a flint machete in a crafting table it will give you a random gemmed machete. Fyi.
I thought the heads were from a mod...never even thought about it being Halloween. Duh...

So will a polished stone one. I have a Cat's Eye Machete sitting in a chest that I haven't used because I didn't want to cheat.

Also, a tip for anyone looking to make the void ore miner...Glow Roses are your friend if you don't have easy access to a desert. Not that I spent 4 hours, traveled about 15,0000 block and found 2 separate jungles or anything unsuccessfully looking for a cactus, then gathered enough Glow Roses in about 20 minutes to make all the Litherite I needed....

Also also, that thing takes a ton of diamonds. :(

Last edited: