Horizons.. Anyone found Zinc or Adamantine?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
As subject, I can't find any of either, anyone found any if so which biome or height?

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
No to both. I have a friend who basically quarried 4 chunks (with a TiCo hammer) to bedrock and found none as well. It's definitely rare

John.E

Dec 18, 2013
Doral, FL
I did find Adamantine at Y level 96 so it is definitely being generated. Looking through Metallurgy's config, I don't see any Biome specific gen options so I assume the Biome doesn't matter. Y level can be anywhere from 0 to 128.

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
I've found adamantine at various Y levels and bioms, its just increadably rare. I usualy only find at most 1 node of adamantine(normaly 2 ores at a time) every other time I have to repair the cobalt hammer I use for general perpous mining.

Zinc on the other hand I suspect is buged and not generating at all in horizons. Considering its placement in the progression of materials in the mods that use it I'd expect it to be rather common,on par with copper/tin. the fact that I havent found any at all by this point suggests its non existant or very biome specific.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
You may want to see if ore gen is restricted to certain dimensions. In RR atlarus & adamantine only spawn in the twilight forest along with the other fantasy metals. I have no clue what the config settings are for FTB.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm to Redboss, no TF in Horizons.

To Eyamaz Zinc maybe classed as fantasy in metallurgy but it's the only way to make brass in Horizons (that I can see) and that is needed to start both lines of chests... yeah I did say chests lol.

Something not quite right when it's easier to get an AE system up and running than make metal chests.

Reactions: RedBoss

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I did find some Zinc in Horizons, using 1.0.7 world generation. I believe I was under an ocean at the time. It was only two blocks of it though.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
i've been branch mining at y-8, y-12 and y-18 (as far as 200-300m in any direction) for quite some time and found quite a bit of zinc, usually in groups of 2-4 blocks. right now im looking at 7 stacks of zinc dust (run through a pulverizer for the x2 dusts). im right underneath a swamp biome, next to an ocean and an extreme hills biome if that helps any. as for adamantine...ya thats gonna be a rare find. definitely spawns at higher y levels tho. you need to branch mine a lot to find some of this stuff, or start cave diving and look at the walls, thats where ive found most of the adamantine so far. atlarus too..found enough to make me an uber tico hammer and pickaxe with all the bells n whistles.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: KingTriaxx

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Very useful. Now to learn how to make Deischalkos. And get some more Platinum. Fast hammer, and great zombie slayer.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Very useful. Now to learn how to make Deischalkos. And get some more Platinum. Fast hammer, and great zombie slayer.
IMO, the best things to come out of that spreadsheet was learning that Vulcanite and Sanguinite are amazing as is, and damascus steel is super easy for a very, very good alumite replacement... it's not quite as good as alumite, but you don't need obsidian for it and can completely bypass that level of tool.

Reactions: RestrictedDruid

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm to Redboss, no TF in Horizons.

To Eyamaz Zinc maybe classed as fantasy in metallurgy but it's the only way to make brass in Horizons (that I can see) and that is needed to start both lines of chests... yeah I did say chests lol.

Something not quite right when it's easier to get an AE system up and running than make metal chests.

Zinc isn't a fantasy metal, it was just broken in the configs.

Adamantite is a fantasy metal and rare to find (though I lessened the Rarity of fantasy metals in 1.0.10, or maybe it was 1.0.9)

I guess I should format my replies better.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Definitely, my tools are actually now made out of Damascus Steel. It's a little lighter on durability than normal steel, but more than capable of mining the nether of all it's valuable resources. Two moss and a splash of Lapis make it a lean mean mining machine.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
run redstone ore (silk touched) through the TE pulverizer to get those cinnabar nuggets (not the same as the cinnabar ore). throw those in a TE induction smelter + ferrous ore, get 2x ferrous ingots + 1 shiny (aka platinum) ingot per cinnabar/ferrous ore.

for a truly awesome hammer, try tartarite head, paper + thaumic plates, thaum handle, upgrade it with a netherstar, diamond + gold block, lapis, a capacitor and as much redstone as you can fit. get an energetic infuser somewhere to charge that baby up, wreck the nether all day with it ;)

Last edited:

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
A bit strange for me to see issues about zinc being rare. From 1.0.6, it's been close to coal in frequency, albeit in groups of 1-3. This is a straight install on a server with no config adjustments.

In fairness, limited playtime and not having specifically played with metallurgy, I cannot base my perspective against how much is needed for things.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Well I've still not found any, I started my world on 1.0.9 and currently playing 1.0.10, I've traveled a long way from where I am to gen new chunks and still haven't found a single block of either.